Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S Front Suspension Creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise is only heard on the driver side front when taking off from a stop, the car is under warranty and I'd like to schedule a service appointment to have it looked at, I'm planning on installing aftermarket 19" wheels and was wondering if they would not honor a warranty claim if I had aftermarket wheels?

Had the same issue and it turned out that the chassis needed lubrication. A few hours at the SC six months ago and all still good.
I have the OEM wheels. They have to prove that whatever issue you have is caused by the mid you did. Nevertheless, to avoid lengthy arguments it is better to keep it stock.
When I received the car the trunk was leaking and the SC blamed it on the chrome delete… :)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The Tesla Service Center of today is looking for every possible reason to deny warranty claims. On here recently, they denied repairing headlights that are filling up with water because they had PPF protecting them. And another guy was denied completely unrelated suspension work because he put on camber arms to fix the factory rear camber alignment issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boza
Appointment is Tuesday, ready to get the 21's off so I don't have to live in fear of potholes anymore, $1975 to replace a wheel and tire is something I will never ever do again. I have a claim in with the city where it happened and am hopeful they will cover it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is that something that’s not covered under warranty? Car has less than 9k miles on it.

It should be, but you never know with a Tesla SC if they will claim the suspension is "working as intended."

When buying a $100K car from Tesla, you really have to think of it as, "you sorta, kinda, maybe have a factory warranty, but don't really expect them to cover anything," and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
It should be, but you never know with a Tesla SC if they will claim the suspension is "working as intended."

When buying a $100K car from Tesla, you really have to think of it as, "you sorta, kinda, maybe have a factory warranty, but don't really expect them to cover anything," and you'll be fine.
IMG_4988.jpeg

This is what they performed to fix the creaking noise I was having.

View attachment 935820
This is what they performed to fix the creaking noise I was having.

That's an interesting list of work done. Basically it's a few dollars in nuts and washers, and a bunch of lube.

The fact that they went looking for loose chassis and suspension bolts means the SC's know that the factory keeps forgetting to screw the cars together.

I really wonder why it needed all that lube as I have never seen the need to lube at the hub of any of the many cars I have owned with half shafts, and that includes cars as old as 30 years. Hmm...

Reactions: saj070