Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 model X real world range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a performance 2020 x tell me the real world range driving around 80-90 mph? I am about to put my deposit down for the plaid X and I know for sure I will not be getting the advertised 350 miles or whatever. Hoping the car can go at least 200 miles with ac/heat on and going around 85mph. Thanks!

You should be able to model some exact trip routes with www.evtripplanner.com or www.abetterrouteplanner.com depending on whichever interface you like. You pick what model of car you are wanting to calculate for, and other variables like temperature to include heating or cooling. They have a speed ratio adjustment number, where 1.0 represents the normal average speed on that road. So if it's normally 70, and you want to calculate for 90 mph, you can change that to about 1.29.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Anyone with a performance 2020 x tell me the real world range driving around 80-90 mph? I am about to put my deposit down for the plaid X and I know for sure I will not be getting the advertised 350 miles or whatever. Hoping the car can go at least 200 miles with ac/heat on and going around 85mph. Thanks!

i have an older x with the less efficient motors but driving 80-90 you will be charging all the time. i have my display on percentage so I can't give you miles, but I suspect if you're starting from an 80% daily charge driving 80-90mph about 100 miles until you hit 20%

You should be able to model some exact trip routes with www.evtripplanner.com or www.abetterrouteplanner.com depending on whichever interface you like. You pick what model of car you are wanting to calculate for, and other variables like temperature to include heating or cooling. They have a speed ratio adjustment number, where 1.0 represents the normal average speed on that road. So if it's normally 70, and you want to calculate for 90 mph, you can change that to about 1.29.
Not yet owner trying to understand mileage range out here where there are no people and no chargers In western Neb. Thanks for links. It looks like if I spend 45 min recharging after going 100 miles from Lincoln Ne to Grand island I can get to second home in Valentine Ne with 1O% left if 95 F and only 15 mph headwind at 65 mph. Can you really lose so much energy going 100 miles? It is always windy out here. 15 mph headwind is conservative. valentine is 45 miles from nearest town and 125 miles from nearest supercharger. But once there, I’ll have a 60 amp charger in garage. Very concerned about wide open spaces and no chargers. I am older single woman.

Not yet owner trying to understand mileage range out here where there are no people and no chargers In western Neb. Thanks for links. It looks like if I spend 45 min recharging after going 100 miles from Lincoln Ne to Grand island I can get to second home in Valentine Ne with 1O% left if 95 F and only 15 mph headwind at 65 mph. Can you really lose so much energy going 100 miles?
Looking at that route, I definitely wouldn't do it that way then. That leaves a pretty long drive of about 211 miles between Grand Island and Valentine, and that's why it's showing up with such a long recharging time. It's needing to go much nearer to full state of charge, which makes the charging speed slow down a lot. For Tesla traveling, frequently what makes it more convenient and less worry is to break it down into shorter segments hopping between Superchargers, even if the total route distance is a little longer.

So what I see as the route I would take is to go from Lincoln to Grand Island Supercharger and then on to Gothenburg Supercharger. Those will both be quicker charge stops. Then that leaves the route up from Gothenburg to Valentine as 157 miles. That's much easier than trying to make the 211 mile segment.

Reactions: Prairie
Looking at that route, I definitely wouldn't do it that way then. That leaves a pretty long drive of about 211 miles between Grand Island and Valentine, and that's why it's showing up with such a long recharging time. It's needing to go much nearer to full state of charge, which makes the charging speed slow down a lot. For Tesla traveling, frequently what makes it more convenient and less worry is to break it down into shorter segments hopping between Superchargers, even if the total route distance is a little longer.

So what I see as the route I would take is to go from Lincoln to Grand Island Supercharger and then on to Gothenburg Supercharger. Those will both be quicker charge stops. Then that leaves the route up from Gothenburg to Valentine as 157 miles. That's much easier than trying to make the 211 mile segment.
Yes, more miles. Turns out that info on better trip planner app, putting in temp and wind in the summer, I can’t do it. Miles will work theoretically but not given weather. I think I have to wait for new improved ? Batteries with greater range.

Yes, more miles. Turns out that info on better trip planner app, putting in temp and wind in the summer, I can’t do it. Miles will work theoretically but not given weather. I think I have to wait for new improved ? Batteries with greater range.
Huh? I'm not following you. No, you don't have to wait. Any Tesla vehicle can cross that 157 mile gap quite easily. What are you seeing that makes you think this can't be done?

No issue at all. I did a very similar drive Summer '20 between Sheridan WY and Billings MT. 136 miles Supercharger-to-Supercharger, and no issue with range at all. Started with about 75%, ended with about 15% give or take. Easy cheesy.

Better to stop slightly more often and stay at each charger for less time, than try to stretch distance between Superchargers. When we did our road trip, we stopped about 2 hours for ~15 minutes per stop. Very easy drive.

Huh? I'm not following you. No, you don't have to wait. Any Tesla vehicle can cross that 157 mile gap quite easily. What are you seeing that makes you think this can't be done?
I was trying to avoid the GOTHENBERG supercharger and figuring adverse temp and wind. Possible RV charger in Broken Bow,NE. But I’m still learning. For the $$ of a model X, which I need for storage space and ability to raise suspension for rural (dirt) roads, I want to know what I’m getting into given my tendency drive in significantly rural areas and dislike cities, interstate, and typical places.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC