Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I myself have an earlier VIN 032000 so I don’t have the glovebox USB. I looked into doing the glovebox retrofit myself but noticed that my computer doesn’t have the open data port for it so I’m stuck with the center console port not working. It’s odd because my light show, lock sound, and everything else work fine but it’s the dashcam that just wants to stop working.

2020 Model Y btw, really wish I would’ve looked around a bit more and gotten the refreshed 2021

Yeah me too. Service Center told me 2024.14 would fix it per my attached ticket. It didn’t. I saw someone else was told 2024.15 will fix it. My guess is it won’t either. Just putting us off. Goodbye owner loyalty. I won’t buy another one, especially after the price cut gimmicks, and now this.
Just received 2024.20.1. It did not fix the issue either. So much for the theory that 2024.14 or 2024.15 will fix it like the service centers have told us.

Reactions: El joe
So frustrating. Every day I wake up to a dozen or so alerts and of course, no fix on 2024.20.1.

IMG_1297.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Experiencing the same issue with my 2020 Y for awhile now. I think since the v12 beta updates. I have to reboot the car whenever it goes to sleep to re-activate dashcam. Also experiencing intermittent bluetooth connection issues as well.

I'm on 2024.14.9

Experiencing the same issue with my 2020 Y for awhile now. I think since the v12 beta updates. I have to reboot the car whenever it goes to sleep to re-activate dashcam. Also experiencing intermittent bluetooth connection issues as well.

I'm on 2024.14.9
If you use the Tesla mobile app to wake car via unlocking doors or climate actions, etc before physically opening the door then the center console usb ports will detect the devices plugged in to them.

If you use the Tesla mobile app to wake car via unlocking doors or climate actions, etc before physically opening the door then the center console usb ports will detect the devices plugged in to them.
Thank you for the tip. Okay, I'll try and remember to do that. Maybe I'll use my stats app to set the climate control in the morning to wake the car up. It sucks when I'm driving to work and want to record a clip to find it crossed out.

I had this problem for over 5 months after it had been working without issue for over a year. I would reboot the car and then It would work for that day and then be disconnected again the next day. I used many different drives and SD cards but same result every time. I even took it to Tesla shop and they said the same thing, "a future software update will fix this issue but we don't have any idea when". However, after dealing with it for a bit longer, I randomly decided to un-toggle the "sentry mode off at Home", "sentry mode off at Favorites", and "sentry mode off at Work". Since then it hasn't disconnected once. I experience a little more battery drain but it is worth it (no more car reboot while driving).

So if you are having this issue you can keep the car from deep sleep by turning on sentry mode and make sure to un-toggle all 3 of the "sentry mode off at location" and see if that keeps it connected. It worked for me.

I had this problem for over 5 months after it had been working without issue for over a year. I would reboot the car and then It would work for that day and then be disconnected again the next day. I used many different drives and SD cards but same result every time. I even took it to Tesla shop and they said the same thing, "a future software update will fix this issue but we don't have any idea when". However, after dealing with it for a bit longer, I randomly decided to un-toggle the "sentry mode off at Home", "sentry mode off at Favorites", and "sentry mode off at Work". Since then it hasn't disconnected once. I experience a little more battery drain but it is worth it (no more car reboot while driving).

So if you are having this issue you can keep the car from deep sleep by turning on sentry mode and make sure to un-toggle all 3 of the "sentry mode off at location" and see if that keeps it connected. It worked for me.
Or….you could save a lot of wasted energy & money over time and let the car deep sleep overnight. Sentry mode consumes a good deal of watts. Then use the Tesla mobile app from your phone when you wake up in the morning so car detects all plugged in usb devices and not just the glovebox. The choice is of course to each individual. Freedom & Responsibility as was the motto at a former workplace.
Post in thread '2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized'

I myself have an earlier VIN 032000 so I don’t have the glovebox USB. I looked into doing the glovebox retrofit myself but noticed that my computer doesn’t have the open data port for it so I’m stuck with the center console port not working. It’s odd because my light show, lock sound, and everything else work fine but it’s the dashcam that just wants to stop working.

2020 Model Y btw, really wish I would’ve looked around a bit more and gotten the refreshed 2021
Turn on sentry mode and make sure that the toggles for "NO Sentry Mode at Home" or anywhere else are not on. My guess is this keeps the car from deep sleep. Since I did this my dash cam has not disconnected once. I have a little more battery drain but it is worth it to me.

Turn on sentry mode and make sure that the toggles for "NO Sentry Mode at Home" or anywhere else are not on. My guess is this keeps the car from deep sleep. Since I did this my dash cam has not disconnected once. I have a little more battery drain but it is worth it to me.
Or use this easy trick and save money and don’t waste a bunch of electricity. I suspect via Apple shortcuts or Android equivalent (scheduled tasks) we can make it happen automatically every morning.

Or….you could save a lot of wasted energy & money over time and let the car deep sleep overnight. Sentry mode consumes a good deal of watts. Then use the Tesla mobile app from your phone when you wake up in the morning so car detects all plugged in usb devices and not just the glovebox. The choice is of course to each individual. Freedom & Responsibility as was the motto at a former workplace.
I will give that a try also, thanks

Or use this easy trick and save money and don’t waste a bunch of electricity. I suspect via Apple shortcuts or Android equivalent (scheduled tasks) we can make it happen automatically every morning.

Yup. I just made a daily 7AM automation on my iphone (via shortcuts app) which uses Tesla app to set my preferred temp. If that doesn’t wake the car from deep sleep running preconditioning would & some other options. My test will be seeing if my music usb-c stick is recognized when plugged in to center usb-c ports as it has not been unless I manually wake car via mobile app before unlocking door.

Interesting the mention of glovebox. For people with a problem they need to specify if they were plugging their drive into ports other than the glove box. I have a microSD reader plugged into the glovebox, and haven't experienced the same issues.
My car came out early enough to have data on the center console USB-C ports, but I don't use them for data, only charging.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Interesting the mention of glovebox. For people with a problem they need to specify if they were plugging their drive into ports other than the glove box. I have a microSD reader plugged into the glovebox, and haven't experienced the same issues.
My car came out early enough to have data on the center console USB-C ports, but I don't use them for data, only charging.
Personally I didn’t have issues with my glovebox usb-a port nor my Tesla OEM USB dashcam stick which is a Samsung Bar Plus, a very sturdily built for extreme heat/cold, airport x-rays & lots of data writes . It has a 5 year warranty if not bought from Tesla. Best of all, they are relatively cheap.

However, since 1/2024 my center console usb-c ports refuse to detect plugged in data devices such as usb music stick & game controllers. Unless I pre wake the car computer via mobile app, reboot Tesla computer or keep sentry on. Basically keep car from deep sleep. These center ports are what people with no glovebox usb-A would be using. On the Tesla computer it’s not usb-a or usb-c it is micro-usb I believe (or a different tiny usb connector) and they use hubs (at least in center) to give you usb-a or usb-c. This is what I saw.

There was a short period of time where a 2024 software update was causing my usb ports (I think all) to periodically disconnect devices and reconnect but that has ceased for me. I’m using 2024.14.9

Last edited:
I am really frustrated that Tesla hasn't fixed this yet, I have been dealing with it since March through multiple software updates. My 2020 Model Y has otherwise been a perfect car and until last week I had never even had to use Tesla service. I had my 12V battery replaced (because it was 4 years old) and I asked about this issue and they said they would have to hold the car from Saturday until Monday to do a diagnostic which I declined. I am going to try @ElectricAnt54's IOS automation trick to wake my car when I wake up for work and also turning on sentry mode 24/7.

If anyone has a guide on how to add a glovebox USB I would be interested in that.

I am really frustrated that Tesla hasn't fixed this yet, I have been dealing with it since March through multiple software updates. My 2020 Model Y has otherwise been a perfect car and until last week I had never even had to use Tesla service. I had my 12V battery replaced (because it was 4 years old) and I asked about this issue and they said they would have to hold the car from Saturday until Monday to do a diagnostic which I declined. I am going to try @ElectricAnt54's IOS automation trick to wake my car when I wake up for work and also turning on sentry mode 24/7.

If anyone has a guide on how to add a glovebox USB I would be interested in that.
You don’t need to turn on sentry mode 24/7 unless you want to waste a lot of energy. Start simple and before you get in your car, use the Tesla app to unlock the doors before you get too close to the car.

Reactions: BitJam