Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Perf Alignment at Tesla, not in spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Target

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2018
Chicago Land
P3D2020Alignment.png

I bought this car used in May and sold my 2018 M3 LR RWD

I was swapping out the summer tires and I noted heavy wear on the inner edges of the front tires, and yes more than typical for a Model 3. The above is the report I got back. On top of that I also got a note on my receipt that the toe adjustments were at the maximum, however it was in limits. So the car is at the limits for toe and still has -1 degree of camber on the front right. Of course the service adviser made it sound like this isn't a big deal, and while I agree it isn't a HUGE deal, I am curious what others think I should do here. Car hs under 30K miles, and is 2 years old, so well under warranty. Of course I paid for the alignment, which I don't have issues with. Stock suspension. Car was rear ended during previous owner, but I understood no front end damage, and no mention of damage or bending.

Guide me wise ones

Yeah, it's fine. Your numbers are not far off nominal and not indicative of any damage.

The alignment shop should have charged you the maximum rate because Teslas, like most cars, have adjustable camber and caster which makes them a little more time consuming to adjust than "standard" vehicles like bicycles and skateboards. But they don't actually adjust the camber or caster because it's not that important. They just charge for it.

If it bothers you (and apparently it does) you can ask why they didn't put it in spec and they will tell you, in no uncertain terms, that they are experts and you are just a fool who knows nothing about cars - camber/caster are absolutely not adjustable on your primitive little car (because it's electric). If you follow up with a question about being charged the "foreign" car rate, they might begrudgingly agree to adjust it properly, but they'll spit on your steering wheel. Better to just live with the one crooked wheel.

1665470568691.png

I failed to mention this was aligned by a Tesla service center (they charged $275), so I assume they followed the manual, however the service advisor told me that the car doesn't have adjustments for camber, so maybe not?

you have some miles on a very heavy vehicle. Bushing/joing wear and tear so you are looking pretty good. ~-1 of camber and some toe-in look perfectly fine. Toe out will wear your tires faster than the slight camber you have. -1.5 of front camber and zero toe on my M3P and tires are wear evenly.

Looks to me like the "technician" didn't bother actually trying to adjust the camber or caster. There is no reason that the right front camber would have gotten worse. Either something is loose/worn in the suspension, or the tech just didn't know what they were doing

They offered to change the upper control arms if I paid for the parts. I thought it was an odd offer, but didn't take them up on it, yet. Another 15k miles and I will probably do it if the offer still stands. On my old model 3 I swapped the upper control arms at about 65k miles, it was sloppy and noisy, especially on the front left. It's mostly easy, except for the forward pivot point bolt, to get it out you have to drag the strut well out of it's home, and that isn't trivial.

After I swapped the arms I took it in for an alignment and it was still almost perfect. It certainly wasn't while the joints were sloppy, but new ones cleaned that up.