Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 SR+ getting 402 KM

How much are you getting on a full charge?

• less than 359

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 360-369

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 370-379

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 380-389

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • more than 389, less than 402

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I know a few posted about this - I will begin with my findings although I wanted my own thread of this.

Most people say they bought (and got it delivered) the Tesla 3 2020 SR+ by the end of 2019 or the beginning and with the new software updates they still go around 359-389 on a full charge.

Has anyone got the 402 KM on a full charge at a normal temperature (not too hot, not too cold based on your judgment)?

I'm mentioning this in hopes someone points to what's been rattling in my head.

If I'm recalling correctly (and I may not be), the range "upgrade" the newer models got (e.g. from 386km to 402km, that's 240mi to 250mi for you miles folks) interestingly came with an elimination or massive reduction in the hiding of initial battery degradation (which is rapid at beginning of life for a couple percent, but settles very quickly).

So basically, when I got my 499km advertised range 2019 LR AWD, it had a "buffer" before it starts to report lower expected range due to degradation. And indeed, it took quite some time (well over 20,000km I think?) before that number ever went down. It was losing capacity that whole time, but they gave themselves room to play with basically.

The newer ones, if I'm recalling correctly, either have no such buffer or a very small one. Thus, any degradation is immediately apparent. And because not every battery is made equal, they can report less than 402km range from brand new (but will be close). Basically, instead of my era where it's delivered with a cap of reported range, they're now showing you the actual capacity via rated range properly.

Now, if this is true, you have all sorts of follow-up conspiracies, but also some truthful information:
  • Newer Model 3s with the 402/518km (250/322mi) advertised ranges will only sometimes (maybe rarely) be delivered and be reporting that much range. But it should be close.
  • Newer Model 3s will appear to degrade faster than the older ones (since they would show lost capacity immediately), but in truth they're the same.
The benefit to this approach is they can put a higher number on their webpage. The flip side is the more apparent degradation point, even though all else is probably equal.

I would love if someone corrected or corroborated what I've said, because I cannot find the references that initially led me to this belief.

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle

If I'm recalling correctly (and I may not be), the range "upgrade" the newer models got (e.g. from 386km to 402km, that's 240mi to 250mi for you miles folks) interestingly came with an elimination or massive reduction in the hiding of initial battery degradation (which is rapid at beginning of life for a couple percent, but settles very quickly).

So basically, when I got my 499km advertised range 2019 LR AWD, it had a "buffer" before it starts to report lower expected range due to degradation. And indeed, it took quite some time (well over 20,000km I think?) before that number ever went down. It was losing capacity that whole time, but they gave themselves room to play with basically.

The newer ones, if I'm recalling correctly, either have no such buffer or a very small one. Thus, any degradation is immediately apparent. And because not every battery is made equal, they can report less than 402km range from brand new (but will be close). Basically, instead of my era where it's delivered with a cap of reported range, they're now showing you the actual capacity via rated range properly.

Now, if this is true, you have all sorts of follow-up conspiracies, but also some truthful information:
  • Newer Model 3s with the 402/518km (250/322mi) advertised ranges will only sometimes (maybe rarely) be delivered and be reporting that much range. But it should be close.
  • Newer Model 3s will appear to degrade faster than the older ones (since they would show lost capacity immediately), but in truth they're the same.
The benefit to this approach is they can put a higher number on their webpage. The flip side is the more apparent degradation point, even though all else is probably equal.

I would love if someone corrected or corroborated what I've said, because I cannot find the references that initially led me to this belief.

I dont remember where I read it either, but I remember it exactly like you are stating it. So, we read something, somewhere, that lead us to that belief.

As for OPs original comment / question, I have no comment at all on that. Plenty of comments have been made in other threads, but this OP "wanted his own thread on this" for some reason.

Interesting. You have seen them above 386km..? Which was the old max?

We have a 9month old SR+ and it only has average 340km on 100%.... (ever since first month when we got it NEW)

Tesla doesn’t give a *sugar* Because everything “works” and no error reports

We know that Tesla asked for a 310 (or was it 314 -- I've forgotten) EPA range for the Model 3 LR in 2018 but the EPA tested range was 324 miles. The effect was to 'hide' 10 miles of capacity, and for owners to not see degradation until the actual capacity was below 310 miles range.

Straightforward enough ... although my car sets my understanding on its ear because it started out with 309 miles of range and now calculates out to 320 miles. The only logical explanation I can think of is that I started out with 309 + 10 hidden = 319, and my battery has suffered NO degradation. Logical, but not reasonable. I suppose I'll know what is going on in another year or two.

We know that Tesla asked for a 310 (or was it 314 -- I've forgotten) EPA range for the Model 3 LR in 2018 but the EPA tested range was 324 miles. The effect was to 'hide' 10 miles of capacity, and for owners to not see degradation until the actual capacity was below 310 miles range.

Straightforward enough ... although my car sets my understanding on its ear because it started out with 309 miles of range and now calculates out to 320 miles. The only logical explanation I can think of is that I started out with 309 + 10 hidden = 319, and my battery has suffered NO degradation. Logical, but not reasonable. I suppose I'll know what is going on in another year or two.

I've since gone and done a lot of math on forum numbers and my own. I can confidently say at least some people got the "range upgrade", but I strongly suspect it's actually everyone. Most existing owners would have gone through enough degradation that they'd never see the higher numbers on their cars except for a few people, probably those whose cars were newer around the time of the change.

Or, also, people in your situation which seem to have a battery performing in the top 0.01%!

I've since gone and done a lot of math on forum numbers and my own. I can confidently say at least some people got the "range upgrade", but I strongly suspect it's actually everyone. Most existing owners would have gone through enough degradation that they'd never see the higher numbers on their cars except for a few people, probably those whose cars were newer around the time of the change.
Reasonable, and I agree in general but my car does not because it bumped up to 314 miles after the 'range upgrade' (in late 2018 or early 2019 IIRC) and as I posted, now calculates out to 320 miles. I suppose I am saying that there is noise in the related miles calc I cannot pin down, eliminate or control. It is not temperature in my case.

I'm inclined to say that I cannot discern with confidence any battery degradation. Any statement more definitive would be foolish.

Reactions: HelixSpiral
Range depends mainly on speed. You can easily get 500 km, if you drive slowly enough.

Just the range is meaningless.

Of course! Think of this as an analytical and information purpose thread! Haha

You are bringing the buffer point, but it was never claimed by Tesla. However, all battery should have a small buffer, in my opinion.

I also enjoy the two conspiracies, but I was mostly basing myself on what you experience without the immediate knowledge of your driving and charging habits.