Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.11 - what is with the loud banging sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update downloaded and installing. Some weird sounds coming from the back. Like a few banging sounds. Wtf?

I sat in the car through a firmware update once... ONCE.

It's terrifying, hearing all the actuators going off throughout the car. Clunk, clang, bang, pop, poof.

Best to tell it to start the update, go inside, and grab a drink. Where's @one2many when you need him?

2021.4.11 update completed (approx 35 minutes). Lots of clunks, thumps, clicks, winding noises. I understand aside from "minor bug fixes," the only real "noticeable" update might be the brake regen under colder conditions.
2 1/2 years and 40k miles later, I'm still loving this ride! Only wished the interior was as quiet, from wind and road noise, as the S or even the Chevy Bolt (seriously).

Every time the car falls asleep, it disconnects the high voltage battery. When it wakes up, it connects it back again. When installing new software, some subsystems (or maybe all of them) need to reboot. Clearly you would want to disconnect a high voltage system before you shut down.

Reactions: Dan D.