Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting close, all.... Maybe tonight or tomorrow? Maybe "soon"? Supposed to snow here for Christmas, so it would be quite nice to enjoy a white Christmas and Holiday's update! Not sure I would want to use beta FSD in the snow, though!
Should be tonight, according to "Technoking". Some are starting to show on Teslascope now.

There are probably dozens of us. Dozens!!!1!
I’m still in the “pre-holiday 2020 firmware” too (2020.48.12.1)

I was hoping to upgrade after this releases but probably going to pass unless they allow changing the size of the map/visualizations - I really don’t care about the visualizations AT ALL, just want the map.

I am interested in:
- blind spot enhancements
- sentry streaming

I was hoping to upgrade after this releases but probably going to pass unless they allow changing the size of the map/visualizations - I really don’t care about the visualizations AT ALL, just want the map.

I am interested in:
- sentry streaming
I held off too for about 8 months. After a couple hours, I didn't miss the old design. YMMV of course, but not having the update nag was more valuable than I anticipated. 🥲

Reactions: house9
I held off too for about 8 months. After a couple hours, I didn't miss the old design. YMMV of course, but not having the update nag was more valuable than I anticipated. 🥲
I don't really understand this not updating. I wasn't thrilled with the new layout, specially the smaller speed reading, but it isn't that bad, you giving up lots of new features to be stubborn.

I don't really understand this not updating. I wasn't thrilled with the new layout, specially the smaller speed reading, but it isn't that bad, you giving up lots of new features to be stubborn.
There actually weren’t a lot of updates for a while after last year’s holiday update. When features started being released again, I went ahead and updated.

Reactions: house9
Some of us have preferences about how things should be and how they are laid out. Others do not. Also, some of us prefer to control more things manually, others are fine with everything on auto. I am moderately particular about UI design but strongly prefer to control most things manually. The first one I can let slide a bit, but Tesla is being actively hostile to the second with their recent updates and design direction. So yes, I will actively avoid software updates that are hostile to how I want to use MY car.

The 'classic' Model 3 UI struck a reasonable (but not perfect) balance between auto functionality being available but reasonable usable manual controls. Most updates since then have been a regression in how I want to operate my car. None of this needs to be an either-or choice. I can have auto wipers and also have good manual wiper controls for example. But Tesla (Elon really) seem to be actively trying to make operating the car harder (and more annoying) to do manually. I hope we are wrong about some of what is in this holiday update, but right now it is looking like even more of a hostile regression then last years (for me).

As someone who has studied a lot about UI design and human psychology (I have a degree in psychology and neuroscience), there are a significant number of design faux pas in the Tesla UI design. There is tons of research that documents how our visual acuity, attention, visual processing, and motor reflexes all work in tandem. There are clear ways that innate biological functions dictate how we take in information and process it in decision based operations like turning on wipers or looking for the artist of a song on a screen as we drive. It seems like Tesla is focused on how the interface looks more than how easy it is to operate. They really should have someone with experience in human centered computing who can help them with designing the UI with human psychology in mind. Much of the time we are interacting with the screen, we are hurtling through space at high velocity with moving objects all around us. The UI should be as simple and easy to use as it could be with the most pertinent information readily available in milliseconds. Not everything in Tesla's UI is like this.

As someone who has studied a lot about UI design and human psychology (I have a degree in psychology and neuroscience), there are a significant number of design faux pas in the Tesla UI design. There is tons of research that documents how our visual acuity, attention, visual processing, and motor reflexes all work in tandem. There are clear ways that innate biological functions dictate how we take in information and process it in decision based operations like turning on wipers or looking for the artist of a song on a screen as we drive. It seems like Tesla is focused on how the interface looks more than how easy it is to operate. They really should have someone with experience in human centered computing who can help them with designing the UI with human psychology in mind. Much of the time we are interacting with the screen, we are hurtling through space at high velocity with moving objects all around us. The UI should be as simple and easy to use as it could be with the most pertinent information readily available in milliseconds. Not everything in Tesla's UI is like this.

Obviously personal opinion, and you have significantly more experience in the field than I, but I have no big issues with it. Almost everything is extremely simple to access and laid out logically for me. My previous car (2018 Land Rover) was my first with primarily touchscreen based controls and that had a significantly worse/more difficult to navigate UI than my Tesla. It was also far less reliable. My Tesla software has been shockingly fast and stable.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Obviously personal opinion, and you have significantly more experience in the field than I, but I have no big issues with it. Almost everything is extremely simple to access and laid out logically for me. My previous car (2018 Land Rover) was my first with primarily touchscreen based controls and that had a significantly worse/more difficult to navigate UI than my Tesla. It was also far less reliable. My Tesla software has been shockingly fast and stable.
Not to mention you can do almost everything by voice.

I am interested in:
- sentry streaming

Just as long as you know that "Sentry streaming" is NOT "streaming previously recorded sentry events to your phone", but IS "streaming LIVE look at your sentry cameras only". I see people talking about "sentry streaming" and many times its not what is implemented.

This is a live look at your cameras as they exist at that moment (like I can do on my wifes BMW). It is not at all notification and streaming of sentry events etc. Think of it as a live look at what your car cameras see "right at the moment you are looking", and thats it.

Just as long as you know that "Sentry streaming" is NOT "streaming previously recorded sentry events to your phone", but IS "streaming LIVE look at your sentry cameras only". I see people talking about "sentry streaming" and many times its not what is implemented.

This is a live look at your cameras as they exist at that moment (like I can do on my wifes BMW). It is not at all notification and streaming of sentry events etc. Think of it as a live look at what your car cameras see "right at the moment you are looking", and thats it.
Dang, I finally had an excuse to switch to the 11 dollar a month Tesla charge and you ruined it.

Does 2021.44.6 contain the 2021.44.25 update as a time release?

I updated to 2021.44.6 (from 2021.36.8) yesterday then after the update it asked me to connect to wifi for a game update. I didn't notice anything different and no games are mentioned in the release notes.

I'm watching TeslaFi and TeslaScope for N.A. distribution of 2021.44.25.

Software versioning is not as intuitive as an ascending number sequence. There are different "shop" standards for Tree/Trunk/Branch software. Tesla has it's own bizzare, deliberately vague public-facing system that utilzes Year/Week. (I'm sure they have tigher control internally). There are different software stacks across 2 model lines as well as 3 different AP hardware configurations. It's not that simple.