Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P OEM Tow Bar retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my Y nearly a year ago I was let down by Tesla big time. They installed the tow bar and just sent it to me knowing they had not fitted the electrics properly due to chip shortages. It was only when l plugged in a trailer board to test no long before our holiday that I found out nothing worked. See post here.

Anyway the upshot is I do have a aftermarket M3 wiring kit going. It’s plug and play up to the point where you need reversing and fog lights. These need two taps into the wiring loom to pick up the signals. As it was a temporary install for me I just lived without.

As the car had been partially programmed by Tesla I did have trailer mode enabled so I could activate it manually

When I first got my Y nearly a year ago I was let down by Tesla big time. They installed the tow bar and just sent it to me knowing they had not fitted the electrics properly due to chip shortages. It was only when l plugged in a trailer board to test no long before our holiday that I found out nothing worked. See post here.

Anyway the upshot is I do have a aftermarket M3 wiring kit going. It’s plug and play up to the point where you need reversing and fog lights. These need two taps into the wiring loom to pick up the signals. As it was a temporary install for me I just lived without.

As the car had been partially programmed by Tesla I did have trailer mode enabled so I could activate it manually
The chip shortage was the reason that I never got the towbar that I ordered for my M3....I’ve been contemplating retrofitting for a while and this is the most complete thread I’ve read on the subject.... and to be honest is far too scary for me🥺🤷‍♂️

I’ve fitted a few two bars over the years, even to my Previous car, Skoda Kodiaq. If the car is new then stripping things down in a garage or a nice summer day is fine. The problem is the electrics, no sorry, the software recoding. I had to hunt around a number of dealers until I found one. And it was a big and slow download to correctly enable the car.

I’d guess that on the Tesla it will be a lot simpler as the software integration is so much better. Probably as simple as logging on to a web portal a clicking a couple of check boxes but it will be strictly protected so you will have to find a friendly dealer/ranger if you want the features tow mode brings.

I’ve fitted a few two bars over the years, even to my Previous car, Skoda Kodiaq. If the car is new then stripping things down in a garage or a nice summer day is fine. The problem is the electrics, no sorry, the software recoding. I had to hunt around a number of dealers until I found one. And it was a big and slow download to correctly enable the car.

I’d guess that on the Tesla it will be a lot simpler as the software integration is so much better. Probably as simple as logging on to a web portal a clicking a couple of check boxes but it will be strictly protected so you will have to find a friendly dealer/ranger if you want the features tow mode brings.
It’s exactly that, finding a “nice” ranger to turn on trailer mode. But to be honest, I can probably live without it if it can’t be done.

Another update - Tesla came back with prices etc and they are all available.
Having to buy a new undertray with the tow cut out (£126) and the tow panel cover (need a price still).

The lady at Tesla did say that she's noticed that all the parts for for towing, and just confirming with me that my M3P can't be used for towing. I said that its only for carrying bikes.....her responsed made me smile - "oh! Carry on then! So much better than the roof rack option! Just dont tow anything!

TBH - it does make me wonder why anyone would really go to a breakers (ebay) to get bits. e.g. the undertray, brand new from Tesla is cheaper than ebay (used/clips busted/scratched).

Looking at early May to get the tow bar fitted now......

Another update - Tesla came back with prices etc and they are all available.
Having to buy a new undertray with the tow cut out (£126) and the tow panel cover (need a price still).

The lady at Tesla did say that she's noticed that all the parts for for towing, and just confirming with me that my M3P can't be used for towing. I said that its only for carrying bikes.....her responsed made me smile - "oh! Carry on then! So much better than the roof rack option! Just dont tow anything!

TBH - it does make me wonder why anyone would really go to a breakers (ebay) to get bits. e.g. the undertray, brand new from Tesla is cheaper than ebay (used/clips busted/scratched).

Looking at early May to get the tow bar fitted now......
The tow cover comes to about £9. No need for the extra fasteners as it comes with them.

I bought an extra one to cut out so I can use it with the tow bar in place.

Update from me - Total spent so far: £386.71.

Bits I've got already.

Tow Cross Bar (used) - £90
Tesla Bag and Tow Swan Neck (new) - £90

Final list of bits i've bought from Tesla directly - will be availble to collect this friday.

Part NameQuantityPrice
ASY, TRAILER ECU,1112581-00-A x1
1​
£ 30.63
NUT HF M10 PC10.1047337-00-A x6
6​
£ 2.40
ASY,HARN,TRAILER JUMPER1446560-02-A x1
1​
£ 25.38
NUT HF M6X1 0 10 PTM ZNNI1116066-00-A x1
1​
£ 0.03
NUT HF M5-0 8 10 G1009 B1453854-00-A x3
3​
£ 0.06
BOLT SO M5-0 8X27 88 G1009 B MAT ADH1495257-00-A x6
6​
£ 1.26
Undertray1135410-00-A x1
1​
£ 105.00
Undertray Tow Cover Panel1135412-00-A x1
1​
£ 7.50
Total including 20% VAT£ 206.71

Installation will be mid May :)

sounding awesome, glad you are going where no M3 has gone before!

Just wanted to chime in, as a proud M3 P- with tow owner, don't bother with the software recoding. All it does is disable the USS on the back and disable autopilot*. Given sitting in the slow lane at 60** is -exactly- the time I would want Autopilot, I disable tow mode all the time. Just gives you WINGS OF FURY on the dash as it thinks something is chasing you really closely.

* actually, it may have some smarts to detect blown bulbs/bad connections etc. But that also isn't worth the loss of AP on a long slow journey.
** approximately

so, my biggest worry as that the tow module plug was missing - but no way to know unless you take the bumper off. I ended up buying an ESC tow bar wiring kit just in case.

Today was the day....bumper off, plug was there!!! WOHOO!!!!! Added bonus.......no coding required - the dash shows the trailer icon :)

IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg
IMG_2293.jpg
IMG_2294.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

sounding awesome, glad you are going where no M3 has gone before!

Just wanted to chime in, as a proud M3 P- with tow owner, don't bother with the software recoding. All it does is disable the USS on the back and disable autopilot*. Given sitting in the slow lane at 60** is -exactly- the time I would want Autopilot, I disable tow mode all the time. Just gives you WINGS OF FURY on the dash as it thinks something is chasing you really closely.

* actually, it may have some smarts to detect blown bulbs/bad connections etc. But that also isn't worth the loss of AP on a long slow journey.
** approximately

Did your M3P come with tow from factory or did you fit it afterwards......just curious....