Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those paying close attention, the 3rd iteration of the 2170 cells due late this year has been known since February.

Model y battery upgrade?

My speculation is that it will result a single digit percentage range increase. I’ll guess about 5% or so, maybe 20-25 EPA miles.

5% of 250 is 12.5 miles and 5% of 320 is 16 miles. 8% gets you to 20-25 miles.

Reactions: McFlurri
There is a lot of people that like the chrome you just don't hear about it in the forums because it's not a mod.

Since wrapping mine I have had a lot of people say they liked it better chrome.

The Chrome vs Black trim thing is personal, of course, but in general the chrome trim on other manufacturer cars tends to be the "luxury" trim, while the black trim tends to be the "sport / sporty" trim. It all depends on how one sees their model 3. If they are looking at it as 4 door midsize luxury car, the chrome trim makes sense. If they are looking at it as a 4 door sports car, the black trim makes sense.

The german brands do this regularly. For me, it feels like tesla shoud have done the same thing, and made the "performance" trim versions of all their cars black trim, and the rest of them chrome.

Yes that makes a lot of sense re the trim.
Exactly my thoughts since 2016.

The only other comment Id have is the chrome or chrome like trim looks different on different body colors and car models.
It just works on some, while on others its completely out of place.

A lot depends on how much other trim is present on the car and if it has the same treatment.

The beauty of wrap or liquid wrap is that you can achieve more than the OEM ever would consider manufacuring... not even just a black out or color-coded look. Satin, matt finish, black chrome, polished aluminium, titanium, dark grey-out. Looks to match tint hue, natural glass tint, wheels, spoilers, interior accents, etc.

Of course not all will work or match all body colors.

The 2021 VIN reported in Canada is a Model Y.
Is it known that Tesla export vehicles ship out of port in Vancouver? Seems like a long way to truck when Benicia has a big auto receiving port.
Good question, I havent lived on the west coast (OR, WA) in decades, so perhaps someone closer to the action can confirm.

I am seeing many many Model Ys here with the redesigned tailights, most already registered across the East coast Tri-State, not lot, demo or temp registration cars.
Also seen a few Model 3s with them.

Sadly, even on a red Model Y, the brighter/clearer red of the dual intensity new brake function outer assemblies stands out vs the still darker/smoked hue of the inner trunk hatch assemblies.

Looks out of place, almost like someone swaped one or the other from a different model car. And things only get worse when the brakes come on.

The amber turn signal and new reverse look good though. Better than the old non USDM Model 3/Y taillights. Far more visible and very reminesent on the Model X. Here its a good thing.

Curious if they changed the performance rims as well. Maybe something closer to the Model Y performance rims?

I hope not. My order went in on Monday last week and I’d really like current Performance wheels with the dechrome. As
I’m the in the UK I expect the car to be going onto a boat very soon and getting here in November, so it would seem I’ll be getting the refreshed model.

Also wonder how much longer they can avoid updating the website. Anyone know the lag between sighting updates for the Model S and seeing them on the site?

They are going to have to update it pretty soon, people may start receiving these next week within the US, and it seems like there is alot of differences.

Also you'd think they'd want to start advertising the updates as soon as possible.

Also wonder how much longer they can avoid updating the website. Anyone know the lag between sighting updates for the Model S and seeing them on the site?

They are going to have to update it pretty soon, people may start receiving these next week within the US, and it seems like there is alot of differences.

Also you'd think they'd want to start advertising the updates as soon as possible.

Are they really making cars for US now? Historically they have been making for export for at least a few weeks after each quarter.

Are they really making cars for US now? Historically they have been making for export for at least a few weeks after each quarter.

I was completely guessing. Could be wrong.

But people will still be getting their hands on these pretty soon. And the more they are reported on before being announced, the more that their sales people will have to keep fielding questions about the differences.

I just hope we get some resolution soon. Though I think even with the Model Y, there ended up being details and features of the car that existed on delivery that were not included on the website initially.