Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I want to know is - the .1s 0-60 increase in speed for P3D, is that a newly calculated time based on existing builds and therefore not really any faster? Is it result of battery, motor, or wheel changes? Or can us existing P3D owners also look forward to a slight speed increase :D ? Small stuff, I know.

Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
All I want to know is - the .1s 0-60 increase in speed for P3D, is that a newly calculated time based on existing builds and therefore not really any faster? Is it result of battery, motor, or wheel changes? Or can us existing P3D owners also look forward to a slight speed increase :D ? Small stuff, I know.
This is a valid question for all the M3 builds. Anyone know?

Guys, for those of you seeking answers about the software upgrade, which would give the earlier M3 models range boost similar to the one expected for the 2021 M3 models. Here it is for model Y, so I assume it will be also applied to model 3:
Tesla pushes new software update increasing range of existing vehicles - Electrek

I have a June 2020 Model 3 LR AWD and am not expecting to see any range increase. For older cars that don't have the heat pump, it's unlikely that there are any real efficiency improvements that can be pushed through a software update. Any range increases at this point will probably just be from changing up the mi/kWh constants and not from any real change in real world range.

Hope I'm wrong and they can wring a few extra percent out somewhere, but it seems unlikely!

I have a June 2020 Model 3 LR AWD and am not expecting to see any range increase. For older cars that don't have the heat pump, it's unlikely that there are any real efficiency improvements that can be pushed through a software update. Any range increases at this point will probably just be from changing up the mi/kWh constants and not from any real change in real world range.

Hope I'm wrong and they can wring a few extra percent out somewhere, but it seems unlikely!
As discussed earlier here the range boost for the new M3 models may be coming from multiple factors:
- heat pump,
- new 18" areo wheels,
- new Panasonic batteries,
- new software.

However, if the information in the link above is correct and Tesla pushes a software update for model Y now, which had the heat pump from the very beginning it is very likely that the same software update can be applied to the existing M3 cars.

Reactions: valaeyron and EAV1
I placed an order on October 10th and was able to schedule a delivery appointment for Oct 19th two days after ordering. When the 2021 model sales went live on Oct 16, I called in to either unmatch my vehicle and switch to a 2021 or see if they have any incentive for me to keep the now obsolete model. Turns out they only offer a $1,900CAD discount on 2020 models. It was an easy decision, I'll wait for the 2021 model.

Reactions: ehacke
I talked to my Sales Advisor today who reported that there is no heated steering wheel, but there are the improvements to the glass. I asked him how he knew, and he reported something about internal briefing. He was sure of it even after I brought up tesla online chat giving me different information. He seemed very knowledgable about the rest of the questions I had confirmed independently (but again through him).

Hopefully someone can comment on this - I was looking at the parts catalog and it appears there is an 800 mosfet rear drive unit on the M3 that is the same as the model Y...Does this mean that the M3P is getting the more powerful rear motor? For reference, there is also a 630 Mosfet rear drive unit listed that I would assume is the dual motor and rear motor unit.

This would explain an increase in acceleration (and probably additional capability that can/will be unlocked at a later date)