Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my driver’s side repeater replaced the other day. The mobile tech said he thought the new features (heat pump) WOULD be retrofittable to older M3’s...

I don't believe it for a second. And if they did do it the cost would be ridiculous. They don't publish part prices so I am just making up an estimate:

• Heat pump: $2,500
  • Octovalve: $1,500
  • in-cabin HVAC assy.: $2,500
  • updated wiring harnesses: $400
  • new hoses/pipes: $500
  • New thermal controller: $500
  • New smaller frunk: $250
  • 10 hours of labor @ $180/hr: $1,800
That comes to $9,950, and I didn't even include new refrigerant, dryer, etc. I just don't see many people paying ~$10k to do the retrofit even if it gives them ~5-10% more range.

I don't believe it for a second. And if they did do it the cost would be ridiculous. They don't publish part prices so I am just making up an estimate:

• Heat pump: $2,500
  • Octovalve: $1,500
  • in-cabin HVAC assy.: $2,500
  • updated wiring harnesses: $400
  • new hoses/pipes: $500
  • New thermal controller: $500
  • New smaller frunk: $250
  • 10 hours of labor @ $180/hr: $1,800
That comes to $9,950, and I didn't even include new refrigerant, dryer, etc. I just don't see many people paying ~$10k to do the retrofit even if it gives them ~5-10% more range.

Oh totally. Don’t get me wrong he didn’t say it would be AFFORDABLE but around here people seem to have tons of $$ to throw at upgrades, so...ymmv

To be honest, I'm frustrated about this refresh. I've saved up to purchase the Model 3 for so long, and was able to purchase it and it was delivered on Sept. 19th. Now just about a month later, a refresh comes out with better specs, and (IMO) a better interior. If I knew this was coming I would have waited the extra month. Does anyone know if I can trade in my current Model 3 for this refresh? Only got a 1000 miles on it.

To be honest, I'm frustrated about this refresh. I've saved up to purchase the Model 3 for so long, and was able to purchase it and it was delivered on Sept. 19th. Now just about a month later, a refresh comes out with better specs, and (IMO) a better interior. If I knew this was coming I would have waited the extra month. Does anyone know if I can trade in my current Model 3 for this refresh? Only got a 1000 miles on it.

That's why Tesla DOESN'T announce these things, the Osborne effect, they know consumers would hold off and their sales would slow down considerably. At this point it would be too late, you'd be trading in the car for market value and buying a whole new car again, not worth the thousands of dollars lost.

Just enjoy the car you have for what it is, still a Tesla.

You got what you paid for...and could have taken the extra “risk” of waiting for the rumors to be disproven and gotten upset that you waited for nothing. Just saying...

The rumours for a new Model 3 were about 1 month before that. If you found this forum you clearly couldn't miss the 4 or so websites that covered them

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
The rumours for a new Model 3 were about 1 month before that. If you found this forum you clearly couldn't miss the 4 or so websites that covered them

Sure, but not everyone is chasing every rumor, or following the blogs and forums. Especially not months in advance of a purchase they haven't made. Even I'm a pretty heavy tech person and I didn't really bother getting into the forums until after I already ordered in late Sept. And only then finding out that I (probably) made it into the first batch of the new design by accident.

Also even if people did follow the forums, there is a near-constant trickle of rumors that updates are just a month or two away, all the time. It's pretty hard to be certain about anything.

But I wouldn't worry about missing out on the new one too much. Sure it's a bit disappointing, but it's mostly the same car.

And who knows, it's entirely possible that this first batch is riddled with production issues from the new processes and components. Maybe in 3 months these same people will be happy they got the last of the "good ones".

Hello, I just joined. I've been waiting to order a new M3 for a couple of months now. I'm glad I waited since most/all of the new features are very desirable to me. I've been reading threads and have seen various articles describing the changes. The one that I'm most interested in is the dual-glazed windows. I really want that quiet/quieter cabin. I haven't been able to confirm that this feature is part of this refresh. Has anyone seen any Tesla literature or gotten official word that this is part of the changes? Thanks.

I guess you could contact your Tesla rep and ask what your options are, but from what we heard here before Tesla is not really known for offering great trade-in deals, even for its own customers, so if you REALLY HAVE to you may be better off selling it to Carvana, etc. and then purchasing the refreshed M3, but I would think it over at least 3 times before pulling the trigger :)

Please consider that Tesla is one of the most innovative companies ever in existence, so we can expect rapid changes and many more unexpected upgrades and refreshes along the ride, so I would rather focus on enjoying the ride and planning on your next Tesla purchase in a long term perspective, rather than trying to "catch the falling knife" at this particular moment :)
I am pretty sure this is NOT going to be your last Tesla, so we can assume that every next one is going to be even closer to fully satisfy your needs and expectations :)

Of course, you can always trade in a car you purchased on another car. If you mean can you 'return" the car and get your money back, no, not a chance. If you mean "can I trade the car in for market value, losing potentially a few thousand dollars, and then buy the new one", then absolutely.

TL ; DR .. sure, but you will lose thousands of dollars just like anyone else trading in a brand new car on another one.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Any range increases at this point will probably just be from changing up the mi/kWh constants and not from any real change in real world range.

Sounds like they are maybe actually doing this on Model Y? That would be unusual; they rarely update the displayed range to differ from the EPA rating for that particular model year. There are exceptions (Model 3 LR RWD is the only one I know of). Would not be surprised if 2021 Model Y see jumps in rated range since they will match whatever the new EPA rating will be.

But the constants are beside the point - there is nothing to stop them from giving you more range while leaving the max displayed range of the car exactly the same - and they have done that on numerous occasions. Those are the best updates!

which would give the earlier M3 models range boost similar to the one expected for the 2021 M3 models. Here it is for model Y, so I assume it will be also applied to model 3:

I’d be surprised if this update message ends up applying to Model 3 without the heat pump. They’ve already done several increases in efficiency to the older Model 3 and I would be shocked if they have anything more to gain of any significance.

I suspect this is optimization of the heat pump and associated stuff, which has not yet been wrung dry.

Tesla are great the way they at least try to look after the old customers when possible, I mean the car still looks the same and the old model owners get the chrome/silver trim which looks more classy. The extra range wont be needed by 99% of owners and the old heater probably heats up quicker.
There have been many instances of this kind of thing going back to the Model S owners getting free supercharging, free premium connectivity, free performance upgrade for 75D of approx. 100hp (very significant), reduced price 60-75kwh upgrade, full self driving for $3k, retrofit of HEPA filter, retrofit of MCU2.
Other car companies wouldn't bother

Sure you can, the question is the cost. If you mean a trade at no charge, no. Your Model 3 is a good car even though it doesn't have the changes for the 2021 models.