Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, how is the Performance Model 3 more efficient than the LR Model 3? I always thought it was the opposite.

You're thinking of the 20" wheels. Those obviously don't do as well.

But for 18":
It's just the way it worked out in Tesla's testing! The Performance 18" ended up with 332 mile range with 79.5kWh, vs. 322 mile range with 79.75kWh for the AWD 18".

Quite a substantial efficiency difference. It's a pretty well known fact, clearly outlined in the EPA submissions & datafile (but a lot of people miss it because Tesla voluntarily reduced the range of the Performance to 322). I chalk it up to the rear motor, but I really have no idea. It's not the lower ride height, because the 18" Stealth Performance didn't have lower ride height, AFAIK. I think it's possible that efficiency improvement (if it's due to the motor) is just applied to all the AWD Model 3 lines this year. We may find out - it depends on whether Tesla does an 18" Performance EPA cycle this year as well as a 18" AWD EPA cycle. Then we'll be able to see. If they don't do the Performance 18" it will be swamped by the wheel differences, etc. and we'll never know.

Last edited:
You're thinking of the 20" wheels. Those obviously don't do as well.

But for 18":
It's just the way it worked out in Tesla's testing! The Performance 18" ended up with 332 mile range with 79.5kWh, vs. 322 mile range with 79.75kWh for the AWD 18".

Quite a substantial efficiency difference. It's a pretty well known fact (but a lot of people miss it because Tesla voluntarily reduced the range of the Performance to 322). I chalk it up to the rear motor, but I really have no idea. It's not the lower ride height, because the 18" Stealth Performance didn't have lower ride height, AFAIK. I think it's possible that efficiency improvement (if it's due to the motor) is just applied to all the AWD Model 3 lines this year. We may find out - it depends on whether Tesla does an 18" Performance EPA cycle this year as well as a 18" AWD EPA cycle. Then we'll be able to see. If they don't do the Performance 18" it will be swamped by the wheel differences, etc. and we'll never know.
Interesting. I never saw those testing numbers for the Performance Model w/ 18 wheels. I'm kinda surprised tbh. I did realize the 20" wheels on the Performance affected it's range but I honestly thought even if both LR and Performance had same size wheels and everything that the LR would be more efficient. Isn't this the case with the other Tesla models?

Isn't this the case with the other Tesla models?

No idea. You can only find out if Tesla does an EPA test of that configuration.

Download Fuel Economy Data (From 2020 datafile on this page)

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 12.35.42 PM.png

I also estimated a 3 kW power savings on long trips but that is really impressive. At 100 - 120 kph it is a 25 - 30 Wh/km savings, a good 10% - 15% improvement in range.
Not 3kW.
500 to 1000 Watt over the course of 4 hours - hence 2-4kWh over the whole battery capacity. That is not 15%, that is barely 4%-5%.

3kW difference will be 12kWh. And that will be about 15-20% increase which is also a no. Not at these speeds at least.

I see on the Swiss Tesla site a bunch of Tesla Model 3 in transit, all cars in transit seem to be the refreshed model, except one Performance model that is still a 2020 model.
There seems to be almost no inventory in Europe at the moment...
You mean 2021 model, not 2020?
And where do you see that and how could that even be possible when the ships to Europe haven't even shipped yet, a trip to Europe takes more than 20 days and they just started building these...?!
There is just one ship in SF awaiting cargo, first cars will arrive late into November.
Tesla Carriers

You mean 2021 model, not 2020?
And where do you see that and how could that even be possible when the ships to Europe haven't even shipped yet, a trip to Europe takes more than 20 days and they just started building these...?!
There is just one ship in SF awaiting cargo, first cars will arrive late into November.
Tesla Carriers
Well, like I said, the Swiss website of Tesla (available stock) indicates a whole bunch of 'refreshed' model 3's in transit bar one tesla model 3 performance which is still a 2020 model.

I guess it must be the trunk spoiler or the red line underneath the Dual Motor emblem that makes the Performance more efficient.

I know you're mostly kidding, but:

The 18" Performance Stealth that was tested (it would have to match what Tesla sold in 2020 as a Performance vehicle with 18" wheels) would not have that spoiler (and no lower ride height either). AFAIK.

Reactions: hydro 481
Well, like I said, the Swiss website of Tesla (available stock) indicates a whole bunch of 'refreshed' model 3's in transit bar one tesla model 3 performance which is still a 2020 model.
That is indeed very strange. This seems to be the only country where they have so many listed. No idea why, maybe they know the swiss look at that more often and they filled it with a bunch of cars that are travelling to SF.

Ordered my model 3 on October 5th. Refresh was announced so I was pretty excited since I was going to do the chrome delete, and install power struts for the trunk anyways. Was worried I would just miss the refresh. Hit up my advisor he said because I haven't been matched to a car yet, I should get a 2021 VIN!!!! :) Delivery estimate is Oct 31-Nov 28 range. My advisor also said no delivery time change with the refresh being announced so should be interesting to see if that holds true

Reactions: byeLT4 and MikeBur
Ordered my model 3 on October 5th. Refresh was announced so I was pretty excited since I was going to do the chrome delete, and install power struts for the trunk anyways. Was worried I would just miss the refresh. Hit up my advisor he said because I haven't been matched to a car yet, I should get a 2021 VIN!!!! :) Delivery estimate is Oct 31-Nov 28 range. My advisor also said no delivery time change with the refresh being announced so should be interesting to see if that holds true
Cooooool, you're the first person I've seen with an earlier estimate than me. Mine is November 6 - December 4.

Hopefully get it sooner rather than later.

The heat pump is only one part of the heating efficiency package; the other is the octovalve which optimizes waste heat scavenging.

I really expect negative press from some owners who see little to no range improvement for their driving conditions and drive cycle. It will shine in long distance driving in cold weather and in mild to moderately cold climates.

As an aside, I'm disappointed that Tesla may not be including a heated steering wheel. That component does not improve EPA range but it sure has an outsized effect on cabin heating usage for a large fraction of car owners.
I hope it's there and requires a couple bills to enable like the early M3 rear heated seats

Would be interested to hear from other uk folk ordering LR model 3. I ordered mine on 5 October but am not showing a VIN allocation yet. I spoke with Tesla and I’ve missed the first shipment as they are all allocated. So waiting in the second ships due in late November / early December.

Disappointing as I’m excited to get the car, but great on the other hand that demand seems to be mega strong in Europe and the UK specifically. Yes, I’m still referring to the UK as part of Europe despite Friday’s Brexit showdown.

Would be great to see how many ordering in October have been allocated a VINIn the UK. Have you? Or are you still waiting?