Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That actually makes me really worried. I
What are you worried about? You can actually achieve EPA, I have, many times in city driving. Obviously at 100mph you are looking at 60% of the range but that is normal.

Other than that you can't really blame Tesla for playing the range game, because nobody really understands capacities, kWh and the likes. Especially not the dumb journalists writing about EVs and comparing cars on paperwork only...
Plus, in California weather at constant 70mph, totally doable to achieve even beyond EPA.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It's pretty well documented how octovalve works to run the heat pump in a number of configurations. It is possible for the model3/y to dehumidify by using both the evaporator and condenser coils to cool the air (and remove moisture) and then heat it back up.
Here is a link to the first video in a series that do a great job of explaining with drawings how the octovalve/heatpump function

Since there's only one compressor, it can only be used for either heating or cooling and not both at the same time. If defrosting / dehumidifying is required, it will probably fall back to resistance heating and then run the AC to condense the moisture out of the air.

Looking at the Model Y parts catalog, it's not obvious how the system handles this - it seems to be incomplete.

Do you have any diagrams or pics? Would love to see how this works.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
What are you worried about? You can actually achieve EPA, I have, many times in city driving. Obviously at 100mph you are looking at 60% of the range but that is normal.

Other than that you can't really blame Tesla for playing the range game, because nobody really understands capacities, kWh and the likes. Especially not the dumb journalists writing about EVs and comparing cars on paperwork only...
Plus, in California weather at constant 70mph, totally doable to achieve even beyond EPA.
That's good to hear then! Still am very excited for the car. Hopefully I will get lucky and get the 82 kWh car and Tesla will unlock that range with some "efficiency" firmware upgrade in the future.

Bjorn posted the video I've been waiting to see, power consumption with heat running on an actual drive, measured with his OBD adapter. Very impressive.

Quick and dirty summary if you don't want to watch the whole thing - roughly 20% more efficient. I say roughly because the road condition worsen when he drove the 2021 car, so it could be even better. On his 2019 car it was 247Wh/km when he got back home, on the 2021 it was 203Wh/km. If you take into account the 2021 car has to spend energy to preheat the battery before supercharging, it is still 7% more efficient, because the heat pump stole heat from the battery to warm the cabin. Very cool.

The results don't mean much. This test needs to be redone with the same wheels and the same tires.
The systematic comparison on highway at 130-120-110 km/h made by the germans, (see page 66) seems clear enough to justify a big difference in efficiency btw 2019-2020, i would not critizise Tesla, is not a bogus increase as in the past, by far.

Only thing, the 353 mi is the 5-cycle EPA result and the 332 mi is the 2-cycle, and will not be very fair if the cars shows 332 mi in the software (still pending what US cars shows) as our EU 2021 shows.

Btw, in my EU LR 2021 the extrapolation is 535 km or 544 km depending on the rounding of the % of battery that doesn't show decimals.

Very disappointing that the range "increase" is only from having a more favorable multiplier on the epa test cycle.
But not at all

kudos to @quietblade

0fcd073c-1a38-43b0-ba9b-260988c0bccb-png.613144

Reactions: quietblade
The systematic comparison on highway at 130-120-110 km/h made by the germans, (see page 66) seems clear enough to justify a big difference in efficiency btw 2019-2020,
This was so "systematic" that he left one car in manual climate and the other on auto, and that for the first run the cars were on different settings - then fixed one of the cars and didn't the other. I like these "systematic" results that are full of errors.

Can you please post a 100% screenshot in miles or just a screenshot of your current battery state in miles and %? Thank you!

Currently at 257mi/74% = 347mi extrapolated. Gotta get my wall connector installed so the car doesn’t charge so slowly. :)

I’ll charge to 100% on Sunday, and also supercharge for the first time.

I actually decided to cancel my OBD order for now...looking at both of the iOS tools available, they seem to want only the $100 OBDLink MX+ and not the cheaper Veelink from my pending order. Couldn’t justify $135 (MX+ plus M3 adapter) just to check battery capacity for now. I’ll get a new socket wrench this weekend and look under the frunk for a sticker.

279553B5-9C1B-4BA6-8A12-B6EDE120A3F3.jpeg
FEB5DA62-B49E-4ABC-BF0D-9BB333BA67E9.jpeg

Currently at 257mi/74% = 347mi extrapolated. Gotta get my wall connector installed so the car doesn’t charge so slowly. :)

I actually decided to cancel my OBD order for now...looking at both of the iOS tools available, they seem to want only the $100 OBDLink MX+ and not the cheaper Veelink from my pending order. Couldn’t justify $135 (MX+ plus M3 adapter) just to check battery capacity for now. I’ll get a new socket wrench this weekend and look under the frunk for a sticker.

View attachment 614450View attachment 614449
How has rated range vs actual real world consumption been for you?

Great, thank you! Please make sure you do some videos of supercharging to see how fast it supercharges. KW speed at low SOC and then at around 35% and 60% is what is intersting.

Can you please switch to KMs just to see what it says exactly? Please also note that the 74% could be anywhere from 73.6% - 74.4% so there is 1% rounding error - also 100% please show in KMs too;)

How has rated range vs actual real world consumption been for you?

I really don’t know yet. I’ve had the car less than a week and haven’t driven more than 20 - 30 miles in a day. I’ve also been driving very inefficiently since this is my first truly fast car ever. :) Now that’s wearing off though. I plan to drive 65 - 70mph max on this road trip on Sunday and try to limit acceleration and use regen rather than brakes as much as possible off the highway. Will report back after that.

I’ve gotten 249 Wh/mi for the last 15 miles in 45 - 50F weather, but I’d take that with a huge grain of salt since I can optimize my driving habits a bunch.

Great, thank you! Please make sure you do some videos of supercharging to see how fast it supercharges. KW speed at low SOC and then at around 35% and 60% is what is intersting.

Can you please switch to KMs just to see what it says exactly? Please also note that the 74% could be anywhere from 73.6% - 74.4% so there is 1% rounding error - also 100% please show in KMs too;)

I just checked in km but due to rounding it went down when my SOC increased to 75%. Currently at 75%/259mi/418km (extrapolates to 345.3mi/557.3km.) I’ll upload screenshots of both when I get to 100%.

Also note that I’m still on 2020.39.103 (I’ve set the update pref to Advanced and have been on wifi so it’s just a matter of waiting it seems.) 2020.40 claims to have some efficiency improvements...maybe those will bump my range up? However, I suspect 2020.39 is a special build for the 2021 models with some of the 2020.40 changes backported, since I have priority bluetooth device, vent windows, and glovebox pin...so maybe it already has those improvements.

Did anyone else who started on 2020.39 see their range go up when they got upgraded to 2020.40.8 or higher? I have a service appointment on Dec 9 and if I don’t get an update by then I’ll ask if they can push it.

I’ll upload screenshots of both when I get to 100%.

When you do this, and get to 100%, can you take two pictures in quick succession (ideally, only when the car says "charging complete" - not while it is in the process of charging)?

Ideally, switch to km display first.

Picture #1
In "energy" display mode (%)
1) Turn on the Energy Consumption Graph (it's one of the apps if you click the third hard button (the little up arrow). Take a picture capturing the % (100% hopefully), the recent efficiency, and the projected range. All three numbers in the same picture. All should be three digits. Don't do instantaneous. Do average (doesn't matter the range (5/15/30mi), as long as the recent efficiency ends up being three digits and not two).

Picture #2
In distance display mode (miles/km)
2) Switch to "distance" display mode. (Under Car => Display => Scroll down to energy display mode toggle to switch) Take the same picture, capturing all three numbers: The recent efficiency, the projected range, and the rated miles/km (next to the battery icon).

Again, important to capture all three numbers in each picture. Km setting is actually better for precision, so switch to that temporarily for the pictures.

Thanks!

Just as some background: What these pictures allow us to determine is the "charging constant" for your vehicle (how many Wh/rmi or Wh/rkm (rated mile, rated km) there are). And it also tells us what your max pack capacity is (though this will vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle, even for new vehicles). Don't even need Scan My Tesla or similar. (Though getting it is great if you want to.) If you do this at 100% (which sounds like your plan?) it's very very accurate.

But if we don't get all four numbers as outlined above, we can't calculate it.

And your vehicle is an 18" AWD vehicle, correct? It has 353 rated mile range, so I assume so.

Looks like it is in a 55 degree garage. Hopefully you can take the pictures after it has been charging and warming a bit. Sounds like you are very close to the 353 rated mile range. Cold temperatures (55 is slightly cold) can slightly reduce available energy.

Hopefully another 2021 AWD owner can provide the same data for comparison. Some people will start with slightly more energy than others.

The reason @TimothyHW3 is being so disagreeable...I do not know. Lol.

Last edited:
When you do this, and get to 100%, can you take two pictures in quick succession (ideally, only when the car says "charging complete" - not while it is in the process of charging)?

And your vehicle is an 18" AWD vehicle, correct? It has 353 rated mile range, so I assume so.

Looks like it is in a 55 degree garage. Hopefully you can take the pictures after it has been charging and warming a bit. Sounds like you are very close to the 353 rated mile range. Cold temperatures (55 is slightly cold) can slightly reduce available energy.

Yup, I’ll take those photos when it reaches 100% and stops charging. And correct, I have an 18” AWD. It’s 55F in my garage but somewhat colder outside.

Should I use scheduled departure to get it to warm properly, or can I just set it to 100% before I go to sleep and not worry about that? (Or will just manually turning on climate for half an hour before leaving accomplish the same?)

Should I use scheduled departure to get it to warm properly, or can I just set it to 100% before I go to sleep and not worry about that? (Or will just manually turning on climate for half an hour before leaving accomplish the same?)

At 55 degrees, I wouldn't worry about it much unless you're about to go on your trip (in which case you'd leave the climate on with the car plugged in before you leave, to optimize range. But with 120V charging there's not much point, it might not be able to keep up.

For these pictures, I think just wait for it to fully charge, check it when finished and take the pictures then. Don't worry about the temperature. It's entirely possible you're just never going to see the 353 rated miles. (Your vehicle might be a small amount below the "max" battery (which is something like 77-78kWh, probably...we'll know for sure what that max value is, soon, from your pictures), just a slightly lower initial capacity; due to luck of the draw.) Hard to know until you charge to 100% this first time.