Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wait excuse me? You’re saying the 2021 P has the 82kwh battery and the 2021 AWD does not?

Appears likely based on the EPA test results. However, we have not got confirmation yet in the US from labels on batteries, or the pictures of the Energy Consumption screen. It’s also possible that some AWDs actually get the battery but it is locked out.

This can all easily be determined by new owners.

Do you mean to extrapolate the total range possible using the effective consuption shown by the trip meter? It does apply also to the values given by the App Energy?

I’m talking about the consumption tab of Energy App, not the Trip tab.

Quick example: say the screen says that at 280Wh/mi consumption, you have 150 miles of *projected* range left (not rated range). To make it 150 miles (without using the buffer), you will need to consume 265-267Wh/mi on the trip meter.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV Promoter
For what it’s worth, here is a screen dump of the danish motor authority’s listed specifications for my Model 3, that I received last week. It lists battery capacity at 85,8 which must surely be some sort of error. Other Danish LR M3’s have the same listing. My “variant” is listed as E5D on a previous page.

44180728-A333-4477-BDDF-9730390085B7.jpeg

For what it’s worth, here is a screen dump of the danish motor authority’s listed specifications for my Model 3, that I received last week. It lists battery capacity at 85,8 which must surely be some sort of error. Other Danish LR M3’s have the same listing. My “variant” is listed as E5D on a previous page.

View attachment 614772

What vehicle type? Performance? (Looks like not Performance, based on the 18" wheels and the 580km range.) Post pictures of the Energy Consumption screen (and indicate your vehicle type)! That will partially answer these pressing questions! Prior year packs actually had closer to 80kWh when new (they extracted 79.6kWh from them, so their actual entire energy capacity including brick protection is probably in excess of 80kWh), so 85.6kWh isn't that far out there for a 5% capacity increase, assuming you have a Performance and the new increased pack size. (But you don't have a Performance AFAIK so it's a bit hard to explain. But this is just a sheet with some numbers, so it can say pretty much anything; it doesn't have to be correct I suppose!)

148Wk/km * 580 km = 85.84kWh though which presumably is not a coincidence? Doesn't mean it's right though.

Last edited:
I just searched through aforementioned registry. Some M3 LR 2021-versions are listed as variant E3D. The battery capacity for those are also listed as 85,8. There is however a listed weight difference. E3D is 1955 kg, while the E5D is listed at 1968 kg. The significance of this is lost on me at this point.

I haven’t found a registered M3 Performance yet, but I will keep looking.

Just the EC-screen, or do I need to press anything in particular?

I think it's all covered here (fixed link in my prior post - this is the same link...oops, sorry about the confusion):
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

Just need four numbers, three sig figs each (except %), taken at the same time (within seconds) (or 8 if you want to do miles and km): %, rated miles, projected range, and recent efficiency. At a fairly high SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: Nuukkuun
E43BB5D7-BE7C-4DFC-B0B1-508B34B9EF37.jpeg
1312DB21-80C8-4619-9D34-EFBBB133AF5F.jpeg
D24B9ACA-F79E-491B-B1C3-591AD5D8F667.jpeg
I think it's all covered here (fixed link in my prior post - this is the same link...oops, sorry about the confusion):
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

Just need four numbers, three sig figs each (except %), taken at the same time (within seconds) (or 8 if you want to do miles and km): %, rated miles, projected range, and recent efficiency. At a fairly high SOC.

Alan, can you confirm that it’s these numbers you need at 100 %?

Because I’m not redoing anything after I’ve hit 100 %. Straight to the motorway afterwards :)

View attachment 614836 View attachment 614837 View attachment 614838

Alan, can you confirm that it’s these numbers you need at 100 %?

Because I’m not redoing anything after I’ve hit 100 %. Straight to the motorway afterwards :)

Yes. That is correct. We can already say, for your European 2021 AWD non-Performance:

Charging constant:

282Wh/mi*217mi / 273rmi = 224Wh/rmi

164Wh/km *373 km / 439rkm = 139Wh/rkm

and your 100% battery capacity (*including* the ~4.5% buffer below zero rated miles) is:

282Wh/km * 217km / 0.82 = 75kWh (74.2kWh-75.1kWh)

So the max you will ever see on the trip meter since last charge is going to be about 71kWh if you do not go below 0%.

And your max rated range is about 532rkm - 539rkm at the moment.

Can get slightly better precision with the images at 100% if you so choose.

Will be interesting to see others compare.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Seeing as you said that prior yearly versions had as much as 79 kWh, doesn’t my 75 seem kind of low then?

It will be interesting indeed to see others compare. Have you ever had a chance to do or see this on another 2021-refresh other than mine (so far)? What is the highest 2020-version you’ve seen?

Seeing as you said that prior yearly versions had as much as 79 kWh, doesn’t my 75 seem kind of low then?

It will be interesting indeed to see others compare. Have you ever had a chance to do or see this on another 2021-refresh other than mine (so far)? What is the highest 2020-version you’ve seen?

I have not seen this particular data from other vehicles yet. But there is data (I think in this and related threads?) that suggests there is a new lower capacity battery from China (???). It aligns roughly with your result. But yes, your result is low; prior vehicles would have shown 77.6kWh (2020) or 76kWh (2018/2019) for this calculation with a new vehicle (they would have lower rated range though...because they used a larger value constant.).

I suspect it is possible that currently it is locked out and maybe they will unlock more capacity later (same constant, more range). Or it may be a limit of the technology. No idea really - I pay no attention to that pack and its expected specs.

I don’t really know; I don’t track the goings-on in the EU.

I really want to see this data from a Performance and an AWD in the US and I have asked for it in the delivery forum (Need Pictures from New US Market 2021 Vehicles, Performance, AWD, SR+), but deliveries are just starting here and not everyone will take the pictures. We won’t get the Chinese battery here. At least for now.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it be odd if Fremont-made European AWD M3’s would get “special” batteries that Fremont-made US-market would not? If Fremont sources batteries from different companies, wouldn’t it be more plausible that they put them in whatever car they are making at that particular moment, for whatever market that may be, the US, EU or SEA? I consider myself pretty up to date on Tesla news, and I haven’t seen evidence indicating that EU cars get anything different that US cars.

Reactions: Npap
Wouldn’t it be odd if Fremont-made European AWD M3’s would get “special” batteries that Fremont-made US-market would not? If Fremont sources batteries from different companies, wouldn’t it be more plausible that they put them in whatever car they are making at that particular moment, for whatever market that may be, the US, EU or SEA? I consider myself pretty up to date on Tesla news, and I haven’t seen evidence indicating that EU cars get anything different that US cars.

The rumors about that battery could be total nonsense. I just honestly have no idea. It does not make a lot of sense, I agree. I don’t pay any attention to it so I am agnostic. Tesla can lock out as much range as they want on a given battery so no idea what they are doing in this particular case.

For all I know, an equally plausible scenario is they are using the new denser cells and have depopulated the battery (96s*44p rather than 96s46p). But are locking out a portion of the capacity for now until they fully validate it. Which would mean an unlock later to 77.4kWh or whatever.

NOT saying this is what is going on. Does not seem likely since they were limited on capacity for the new cells.

Reactions: EV Promoter
I haven't read through the whole thread but I tried searching for these codes and nothing came up. I read on the tesla-info facebook page the manufacturing option codes that are starting to differ between 2020 and 2021 support some of the findings - hardly surprising - but you can search for these option codes on inventory to make sure what you order has them. I imagine they may also differ from country to country a little

The notable code changes are
- The new battery code is BT42 not BT37 but not all P and LR 2021 cars have it, I could only find 2021 Performance models in Europe .
- Heat pump is HP31 (HP30 is no heat pump)
- The onboard charger has changed in Europe to CH15 (not sure what code it was before, but it was different)
- Headlights in some countries have changed (code HL31 becoming HL32)
- The steering wheel code has changed ST31 to ST30 which if you search for cars with it is also the code used from 2018/2019 so maybe rather than a new wheel, its just gone back to an earlier wheel.

Nothing mentioned on codes for the glass but thats pretty easy to spot.

148Wk/km * 580 km = 85.84kWh though which presumably is not a coincidence?
THIS. I'm sure. A calculated value, not a measured one.

Car is charging, 4 hours more and i'll post the screens you asked for Alan, i'll post in a new thread, in the battery thread, to avoid to be lost. Please, calculate the constant.
I'm totally expecting 530-535 km, so * 148 Wh/km = 78.5 - 79.2 kWh.

And this morning i'll also take the consumption of a 54 km trip, 2 ways with highway, i'm very curious to have a first indication of FE.
Pity is wet and mildly cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You have to remember European M3’s are manufactured 6-8 weeks before the owner gets it. So it’s not quite the same as comparing with cars rolling off the line in the US today. It all depends on when they switch parts.

I just searched through aforementioned registry. Some M3 LR 2021-versions are listed as variant E3D. The battery capacity for those are also listed as 85,8. There is however a listed weight difference. E3D is 1955 kg, while the E5D is listed at 1968 kg. The significance of this is lost on me at this point.

I haven’t found a registered M3 Performance yet, but I will keep looking.
Surely that does make sense. The new bigger battery is more dense so for the same number of cells it will be heavier?