Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only addressing a couple items.

Looks like from above the M3 LR will NOT get the "L" variant any any point this year even if I was to wait but also see speculation of an M3 LR+?)

They might. No one really knows how the volumes of cells available will change. If I were you I would assume that LR+ will be available in the next year, and determine how you would feel about your purchase when that happens. Just assume it will. I think personally it is more likely than not within 12 months.

Tesla would dare increase the price at all offsetting some of that so its a hard choice at the moment.

They likely will increase the price somewhat if some sort of incentive comes back. But probably not enough to cancel it. Demand would increase! Supply is not particularly flexible so price would probably increase. In general I’d expect out-the-door prices to go down with time though, gov’t incentives or not!

Also there is a shortage of IC components for cars so who knows when or if that would affect Tesla’s supply.

I’d also consider exactly what you expect from FSD. It is an expensive option. The main advantage at the moment is it allows you to change lanes without disengaging AP. The dinging when the light turns green is kind of useful too (presumably not available without FSD but someone will correct me if it is). Obviously there are other cool features but that does not necessarily mean useful. It is worth it for some people, but not for others. FSD is a difficult and unsolved problem, so it depends on your exact expectations for the large amount of money you are paying. Disclosure: I have FSD, but I view it as a toy, and do not expect to ever have the car drive itself on surface streets. I got it primarily to get HW3 with (perhaps) better active safety features long term, but you don’t have to worry about that.

Last edited:
Man as a soon to be new owner of an M3 LR in early March I'm trying to consolidate this one as best as I can as someone new to Tesla's and it seems their ever changing release cycle.

I have a US 2021 Red/White M3 LR with FSD scheduled first week of March and it will be my first Tesla so please correct me anywhere here but from what I'm seeing for the biggest things now are...

-Heat Pump (seems to be there MAY be some issues already reported?)

-New Headlights (I'll need to figure out how I'd know if I got the updated version)

-Heated Steering Wheel (Hoping it's included by now)

-Battery on LR is actually the 2170C "E3LD"? (Does anyone know on cars delivered late Jan/Feb what the kWh battery is thats on the LR? From reading sounds like a smaller battery than the M3P's 2170L? Is there any disadvantages to this battery compared to others as there is some hot debates it seems or issues with higher amperage charging like others reported from older Teslas over the long haul? Looks like from above the M3 LR will NOT get the "L" variant any any point this year even if I was to wait but also see speculation of an M3 LR+?)

-Heated radar? (Is there a known reason this is needed, ie. was there issues reported about something with the radar?)

-New door panels (not sure what this means or changed? I have White interior so not sure if there is a potential change there?)

-Known fender camera issues on 2021 with spinning symbol?

If I missed anything new or "new" issues for the 2021's out please let me know. I'm really struggling with outright cancelling and waiting a bit as I keep seeing the new reintroduced 7k tax credit kicked around that WONT be retro for my order but can never tell if Tesla would dare increase the price at all offsetting some of that so its a hard choice at the moment.

Thanks again for all the help on here!

-CV
If you have a VIN, I think you can call Tesla and ask them what battery your car has.

A member on this forum I think had posted the following which seems like the 2170L battery is introduced to the Long Range. Now if it is for all of for some, who knows...

Attachments

• Dash14.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 129
I think they will delay then.

Can you imagine getting a Performance with a smaller battery for the same price?

There’s (perhaps) an example of that in that other thread (the -P pack in Europe). But that would only apply in Europe - they might be able to get away with it and still get the WLTP range. Can’t get EPA range with that pack’s indicated capacity (also documented in that thread). That -P pack is a real mystery though. Only one example I am aware of.

Reactions: FredMt
I think they will delay then.

Can you imagine getting a Performance with a smaller battery for the same price?
I can image everything from Tesla. They only care that sell numbers are good.
There’s (perhaps) an example of that in that other thread (the -P pack in Europe). But that would only apply in Europe - they might be able to get away with it and still get the WLTP range. Can’t get EPA range with that pack’s indicated capacity (also documented in that thread). That -P pack is a real mystery though. Only one example I am aware of.
WLTP is easier because on that test you don't need to use AC, so at least some energy is saved.

What is this another thread and -P?

If you re talking about Performance battery pack i think, reference seems to be
CB 1104423-00-T :)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
About the new EU-like headlights, I know that at least until last month, only M3P had the new headlights. Probably they were installed on that batch production, but hopefully now also the LR should have them.-
The Long Range that were delivered to Europe later in December had the new headlights as well and all the MIC SR+. Now in Q1 all this long range I have seen had the new headlights.

Is there a good way to tell the difference, I'm having a hard time finding solid or an "easy" way to differentiate between them.

Left one is new. That lens on the outside is what sets them apart.

New-vs-old-Tesla-Model-3-headlights-scaled.jpg

Nice. Congrats! Did you take delivery of your M3 - LR? Can you tell us which battery and capacity it has? Thanks.

Not sure how I can find out the exact type of battery, but the papers say that I have a range of 580km at 148Wh/km. That adds up to 85,6kWh but that's probably not the right number. Guessing I got the new 82kWh pack then ? Can I find out without contact Tesla ?

7th digit of the VIN is E.