Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and Model Y Heating issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading about 2021 Model 3 and Model Y heating issues. News report mentioning overwhelming number of cars being fixed now leading to long turn around time. Anyone in Toronto having issues with their 2021 Model 3 or Y. Suspects is with the Heat pump.

Took delivery of our 2021 Model 3 SR+ on December 22, 2020 and 1 week later lost heat, "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault". It's been on SC since then and waiting for parts.

Attachments

• 20201229_125134.jpg
    20201229_125134.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 151
If they only have a heat pump it won't be enough to heat up a car parked outside at - 30C......this would be an epic oversight by tesla

Model Y (heat pump) in Ottawa. No issues. Haven't seen -30 yet but it gets plenty hot very quickly. I'm pretty sure there's a resistive heater as well as a heat pump, don't think the latter would be enough on it's own at the extreme lows.

The compressor can run in an inefficient drive mode which adds heat via electrical losses (like the drive units heating the pack).
There are also two low power heaters in the cabin duct system (for passenger/ driver temp offset).

New Tesla Model 3 owner, owned for about 6 weeks, heat not working, just blowing cold air. I live in Vancouver so not really cold. I am phoning Tesla tomorrow, hopefully it’s a quick fix, anybody else with similar issues? Frustrating for a new car.

2021 Model Y in Edmonton, no issue yet with the HVAC system, though I don't think that we have gotten below -15c yet this winter. Will have to see how it handles the colder temperatures when they show up.

update, heat still working fine on the Y even with the colder temperatures that showed up. Only thing that I have noticed is loud noises coming from the drunk area at times that I think are associated with the heat pump/octovalve, some of them are heard even driving down the highway at speed, I will be contacting service and see what they have to say.

On a side note if your car lives outside and you use preheating to clear off your windshield don’t be surprised if your wipers freeze to the window, not fun to try to use your wipers and find them non operational.

Took delivery of our 2021 Model 3 SR+ on December 22, 2020 and 1 week later lost heat, "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault". It's been on SC since then and waiting for parts.
I just got the exact same issue in a 2018 LR RWD, Tesla quoting me $1100 to repair but i'm not convinced it's not a software issue as the heater works fine if I pre-heat after the car has gone to deep sleep over night or parked for a few hours, but I get the error if I put the car into park.

update, heat still working fine on the Y even with the colder temperatures that showed up. Only thing that I have noticed is loud noises coming from the drunk area at times that I think are associated with the heat pump/octovalve, some of them are heard even driving down the highway at speed, I will be contacting service and see what they have to say.
Putting the wipers in service mode is a must for cold temperatures.
On a side note if your car lives outside and you use preheating to clear off your windshield don’t be surprised if your wipers freeze to the window, not fun to try to use your wipers and find them non operational.
Put wipers in service mode, problem solved.