Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 wind/whistling noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sitting at my Tesla service center right now for a tire rotation. I just went out to the parking lot to see if any of the new cars had this same issue, and sure enough I found one. So I made a short video showing the mirror piece and how to fix it. Hopefully this helps prevent some new owners from getting frustrated by the whistling.

While obviously it's a simple thing and you had the right intentions, you shouldn't touch other people's cars.

This was my problem EXACTLY; thank you so much!
Glad it saved you some extra frustration. I guess until Tesla stops delivering Model 3s with this mirror defect, I'll try to keep the video on the most recent page of this thread. Hopefully word spreads and the problems starts getting fixed at the factory (or at least pre-delivery at the service centers) and the video won't be useful anymore.

I just received my 2022 M3P this morning and I had the wind/whistling noise coming from the front passenger side when driving. Lo and behold, the black plastic on the bottom of the mirror wasn't snapped in all the way...
I was hoping this would stop being a problem after posting the video and sending the pictures to my Tesla Service Center. It's such an easy fix that it should be on some Tesla pre-shipping checklist. But I suppose it was unrealistic to expect it would reach the people with the power to implement that change.

Either way, glad you got it figured out without having to send the car back.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
I was hoping this would stop being a problem after posting the video and sending the pictures to my Tesla Service Center. It's such an easy fix that it should be on some Tesla pre-shipping checklist. But I suppose it was unrealistic to expect it would reach the people with the power to implement that change.

Either way, glad you got it figured out without having to send the car back.

Yes, I'm glad I came across this thread as my wife was already disenchanted with the Tesla ordering process and the last thing I needed was for her to complain about the noise. 😄

I definitely agree that this should be a part of Tesla's QC checklist as it really is such an easy fix.

Reactions: Baluchi
Had the same issue with my passenger door mirror. The trim piece as others said was not snapped into place. Quick fix. Good thread!
Same problem. Same quick fix. I had a service appointment scheduled that required dropping off the car to fix this wind noise and returning at an unknown time. Living in Connecticut, only one service facility is available and well over an hour away.
Thanks for the tip!

Pic attached. Putting tape here stopped it. I had checked the trim and nothing seemed loose.... however, took the car through a car wash this Morning, and as I was drying some drips around and underneath the passenger mirror, lo and behold some part of the lower black trim under the mirror “snapped” into place. Whistle gone.
Just tried some tape on my 2018 Model 3 and instantly the whistle I'd gotten used to was gone. In my case it wasn't because the piece wasn't snapped in, I think it was because I had chrome deleted and the film they used created some sort of unexpected airflow.

Thanks!

I'm sitting at my Tesla service center right now for a tire rotation. I just went out to the parking lot to see if any of the new cars had this same issue, and sure enough I found one. So I made a short video showing the mirror piece and how to fix it. Hopefully this helps prevent some new owners from getting frustrated by the whistling.

Thank you for the post. I just pick up my Tesla 2/3/23. Driving about 50 miles out of the Tesla center I heard a whistling noise. I check my windows, vent. I turned by heater blower to the windshield, the floor and still hearing the whistling noise. It was so annoying that I scheduled a warranty service. I google before going for my appointment and found your video. I check and sure I have the same improperly seated mirror trim. I corrected it and will check it out on my drive home.