Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone I know who toke delivery at Devon have had flawless cars. My mid November delivery was perfect. No quality issues with all parts. I only live 30 minutes away though. I would give them a heads up prior to set expectations.
One issue I had, which I was not told about is that the car will not come with an inspection sticker. Tesla can’t inspect in PA. There is a local place that you can schedule a quick while you wait inspection. PM me if you want their info and details.
Hi and thanks!
Just found this, which makes sense..
"How long do I have to get a new car inspected in PA?"

"A vehicle newly registered in Pennsylvania must have a safety inspection within ten (10) days of the registration date. Inspections are performed at official inspection stations (usually a repair garage or a service station with a repair shop)."

So I picked up my MS earlier today and already have a laundry list of items for them to fix.

1. Noticeable wrinkles in the drivers seat

2. No bass when playing music. It currently sounds like a cheap computer speaker sound system

3. The front bumper is not flush with the passenger side panel

4. Rear trunk will not fully close when I push the button or thru the app either. I have to push it down to lock it in place

5. Received two error messages tonight. “Adaptive ride control disabled” and “speed limited to 90 mph”

• Informative
Reactions: planetary
So I picked up my MS earlier today and already have a laundry list of items for them to fix.

2. No bass when playing music. It currently sounds like a cheap computer speaker sound system

4. Rear trunk will not fully close when I push the button or thru the app either. I have to push it down to lock it in place

5. Received two error messages tonight. “Adaptive ride control disabled” and “speed limited to 90 mph”
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. My pick up is later this month.

@Tony99 Wow…. Do you have a three day buyer’s remorse law in your state? VIN?

App
Why are these cars with obvious issues not being corrected before the buyer even called?? I live an hour's drive away from my store in Devon and when my car comes in they better have gone over it before calling me in to consummate the purchase!!
This should be a joyful experience, not one of doom and distrust!! What next? "Sorry sir, they shipped your car without a battery."
Apparently, Tesla HQ has approved shipping cars with out interior trim, ANC, interior lighting, charge ports, and passenger lumbar controls.

Would be interesting if more folks rejected cars, perhaps these parts would automatically appear.

Reactions: Stirthepot
Oof. Sounds like Tesla hasn't worked out the kinks in their quality of production at all. Maybe people will be luckier in 2022.

Did you get it resolved? also @hotsoup any resolution on it?

No, I just live with it as it comes and goes, and most of the time I'm listening to something anyway that drowns it out. Seems to be worse when it's colder out... Maybe some sort of fitment issue that gets exacerbated with thermal contraction possibly.

Reactions: impastu

I had this exact issue. I could only listen to talk podcasts and not any music at all. It means only the MCU unit is weakly powering some of the front speakers and the external amp isn't powering the other speakers including the sub. Try turning off immersion sound and moving the balance to the back, and you will get zero sound -- that means the amp isn't powering any speakers.

Also with mine, the microphone didn't work for voice commands or for phone calls through bluetooth. Might be related or separate problem.

I kept hoping an update would fix it but never did. I took it into the service center with some other issues and they wrote on the first invoice that the audio and bluetooth worked fine and I needed education and tried to charge me $95.00 for their diagnoses -- very annoying

I scheduled again and this time they sent a good mobile tech who I knew and he checked the connections with the external amp and at the microphone and speakers and then it worked. A bazillion times better sounding -- better than 2014 UHF and Model 3. And microphone works.

I think he just quickly unplugged and plugged back in a bunch of connections so didn't narrow it down to which one it was, but somewhere along the way he got the right one.

Last edited:
I had this exact issue. I could only listen to talk podcasts and not any music at all. It means only the MCU unit is weakly powering some of the front speakers and the external amp isn't powering the other speakers including the sub. Try turning off immersion sound and moving the balance to the back, and you will get zero sound -- that means the amp isn't powering any speakers.

Also with mine, the microphone didn't work for voice commands or for phone calls through bluetooth. Might be related or separate problem.

I kept hoping an update would fix it but never did. I took it into the service center with some other issues and they wrote on the first invoice that the audio and bluetooth worked fine and I needed education and tried to charge me $95.00 for their diagnoses -- very annoying

I scheduled again and this time they sent a good mobile tech who I knew and he checked the connections with the external amp and at the microphone and speakers and then it worked. A bazillion times better sounding -- better than 2014 UHF and Model 3. And microphone works.

I think he just quickly unplugged and plugged back in a bunch of connections so didn't narrow it down to which one it was, but somewhere along the way he got the right one.
I would like to think that these high tech cars have a diagnostic mode that tests each speaker as there are other makes that do have this feature available to technicians.

This is what I suspect too. I’m tempted to rip apart the car to get to the amp to reconnect everything but will wait for my service appointment. Thanks for your input!

For everyone out there with issues and those soon to receive their new cars, is there a quick diagnostic that new buyers can use to check their cars themselves? My 2014 BMW has this, though not as high tech as a 2022MS surely but it would be of great benefit if a good Tesla technician out there could explain how this can be performed by accessing the car's computer and screen. This, I would like to think, is done once new cars show up at the Stores before a customer is notified for delivery. Apparently not though, which is why it would be nice to be able to perform this themselves..

For everyone out there with issues and those soon to receive their new cars, is there a quick diagnostic that new buyers can use to check their cars themselves? My 2014 BMW has this, though not as high tech as a 2022MS surely but it would be of great benefit if a good Tesla technician out there could explain how this can be performed by accessing the car's computer and screen. This, I would like to think, is done once new cars show up at the Stores before a customer is notified for delivery. Apparently not though, which is why it would be nice to be able to perform this themselves..
The audio diagnostic is enabled by pressing the voice command button and saying “Play Burning down the house by Talking Heads”

The audio diagnostic is enabled by pressing the voice command button and saying “Play Burning down the house by Talking Heads”
Get a box of hot coffee and good stuff from Paneras.

Troll a busy SuC at lunchtime.

Find a mobile tech and bribe him with above goodies, make up a story about intermittent error messages about failure to charge.

Take pics as he opens the diagnostic windows.

Worked for me!

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_143848741_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210206_143848741_HDR~2.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 126

I had wrinkles in seats too, and service tried to steam them out. That didn’t work, so they plan on replacing the seat covers in a few weeks