Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WAG: When you roll the windows down, the speakers pick up even more noise and turn up the ARNR cancellation frequency.

Extremely disappointing. This was one of the top 3 features I was looking forward to the most and I reckon I'd throw it on the pile of automatic *sugar* that will never work correctly, years down the line. Don't understand why Tesla can be so bad at stuff like this. Don't advertise it until it ****ing works.

And like FSD, don’t collect thousands of dollars before it works as advertised.

WAG: When you roll the windows down, the speakers pick up even more noise and turn up the ARNR cancellation frequency.

Extremely disappointing. This was one of the top 3 features I was looking forward to the most and I reckon I'd throw it on the pile of automatic *sugar* that will never work correctly, years down the line. Don't understand why Tesla can be so bad at stuff like this. Don't advertise it until it ****ing works.

Yep, this is 100% broken in my car. It's not that it doesn't work, - it's that it makes the noise SO much WORSE. It also pisses me off that I was essentially used as a guineapig without my permission, - for the feature in the first place. Literally, one night I went to bed back in November and the car was nice and quiet, and the VERY NEXT day it was an abomination of noise, with no ability to disable the feature because it was working in "shadow mode" and had not officially been released yet with the toggle option. I only got the ARNR software at the end of January! GRRRRRR!

Tesla, that's NOT OK. Really not happy about that, but then again - story of my life with this car.

Agreed, both Sentry and dashcam works just fine. Just the alert is there and I only see it when I open the controls panel.

Like you, it disappeared with 2022.4.5. Have yet to drive the car, but will spend a few hours tomorrow in it. See if it is reproduced or fixed.

Given the amount of OTA software fixes for "recalls" (stupid word for it, but whatever) that Tesla is pushing, I think Elon is spot on for this year being focused on software. I hope that is beyond FSD and polishing the core OS.
Annddddddd it’s back. 😔

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
Someone measured a 3 dB noise reduction with it turned on. It's very small.

3dB means it's half as loud in that frequency. 3dB is a big change.

I have tried toggling mine on and off and can sense no difference at all in any frequency range while on the road. Not sure if a phone app would be able to show the spectrum and help quantify it, but I'm suspicious that it's just not working in some cars. It's clear that there are a few examples where it doesn't work in the opposite direction - making more noise.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey and tbaud
3dB means it's half as loud in that frequency. 3dB is a big change.

I have tried toggling mine on and off and can sense no difference at all in any frequency range while on the road. Not sure if a phone app would be able to show the spectrum and help quantify it, but I'm suspicious that it's just not working in some cars. It's clear that there are a few examples where it doesn't work in the opposite direction - making more noise.
I think 6 dB is half as loud. A change of 1 dB is generally not perceptible. 2) A change of 3dB is just perceptible by most humans. Someone did a measurement with a phone app. I think I have a calibrated dB meter around, I could try testing it...

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed your suggestion is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time ARNR is broken, I guess.
ARNR does not work consistently for me. I chalk it up to the non-OEM winter tires, but it's probably just immature coding. I can't imagine it ever working properly with the windows down. Too much unstable background noise to process.