Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the buyback offer? How much money. Please don’t just say thousands.
My advice at this point is loose as little as you can. William, some states don’t have this lemon law luxury.
my question is are you buying another Plaid.

on a side note, I really don’t care what you choose to do. I am In almost disbelief your troubles have lasted this long.
have you had a loaner car the whole time you’re Plaid was down?
I don’t want to say anything until it’s done. It should be done in the next few days. At that point I’ll give all the details. I’ve had a loaner while the car was in service, yes. So that’s a small mercy, for sure.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Duke846
I took delivery of my LR last Saturday, it drives great! However, there's quite a few fit and finish issues. Just wondering, if anyone here have similar issues (chances are yes), and more importantly - did Tesla services actually did anything about them and how are the results? Or are these just "normal" finishes and it's the best Tesla can do?

1. specks of dusts behind the driver display screen
2. interior door panels have gaps large enough to fit a finger (see pic)
3. seat bolster wrinkles (see pic)
4. scratches on the wood trim - I am beginning to wonder if that's the way it is, as it's everywhere (see pic)

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1953.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

I took delivery of my LR last Saturday, it drives great! However, there's quite a few fit and finish issues. Just wondering, if anyone here have similar issues (chances are yes), and more importantly - did Tesla services actually did anything about them and how are the results? Or are these just "normal" finishes and it's the best Tesla can do?

4. scratches on the wood trim - I am beginning to wonder if that's the way it is, as it's everywhere (see pic)

View attachment 771289

View attachment 771286

View attachment 771285
Congrats on the new car. All normal, by the way. My car didn’t have the wrinkles in your location (my bolsters do, though, along the stitching, and they look terrible). That said after a few hundred miles my car developed the same wrinkles in the exact location as yours.

For the door, this can be adjusted by mobile service slightly. Probably not worth your while.

For the trim, seen a lot of reports of this. Don’t really think it’s an issue so much as a characteristic of the wood.

View attachment 771289

View attachment 771286

View attachment 771285
Agreed on the wood. That's just the natural look :) normal to be that way.

Seats. That'd make me ask Tesla to fix.

Panel gaps. Eh. This is a tough one. Idk. I'd prob have mobile service try. Then again. My car has had almost a month in Tesla service so far since December. So I'd do it outta spite to get it all fixed.

How about your puddle lights from the door handles? I have three of them that are good, but the passenger rear light doesn't work because the handle doesn't stick out far enough from the body. See the photos below.
View attachment 770930
View attachment 770931
Had same problem, on the same door actually ;)
Issue is door handle sitting deeper, and led diode just illuminate inside handle housing.
Asked tesla to fix.... yeah they fixed, but broken few clips during that and door panel not attached now - another service visit.
Worth ? you decide.

Reactions: impastu
Had same problem, on the same door actually ;)
Issue is door handle sitting deeper, and led diode just illuminate inside handle housing.
Asked tesla to fix.... yeah they fixed, but broken few clips during that and door panel not attached now - another service visit.
Worth ? you decide.
I know these things aren't really worth it, but they really need to learn to deliver a car correctly....

Here is something I found interesting in an old Service Bulletin for cars 2014 to 2020, with vibration issues. It is the break-in procedure after shaft and motor mount replacement.. Procedure for 2022 shaft replacement and related "break-in" are unknown by me. But, If there is a break-in procedure, is it performed right off the assembly line on the test track?
For what it's worth, here it is....

Halfshaft Break-in and Test Drive
NOTE: Newly installed halfshafts might generate excessive NVH (scraping/rattling noises and excess vibrations) until properly broken in. Do not return the vehicle to the customer until the halfshafts have been broken in.
1. Perform halfshaft break-in:
a. Charge the vehicle HV Battery to at least 70%.
b. On the vehicle touchscreen, select Driving > Acceleration > Standard or Sport
c. At 100% throttle, accelerate from 0 mph to 50 mph (80 kph) 2–6 times.
When the halfshafts cease to scrape, rattle, or vibrate excessively, skip to the next step.
WARNING: Comply with all local traffic safety laws. Only perform such maneuvers in a suitable location such as a large empty, parking lot or nonresidential side street with no traffic.
2. Set the vehicle ride height to STANDARD.
3. Take the vehicle on a test drive, emulating as many of the driving scenarios listed below as possible while checking for excessive vibrations or shuddering at the front of the vehicle. • Highway/motorway: • Maintain cruising speed. • Perform lane changes to the right and to the left. • Accelerate and decelerate to simulate overtaking maneuvers. • Urban areas: • Low speed. • Many right and left turns. • Normal city roads: • Combination of straight and curved roads. • Low and moderate speeds. • Large, empty parking lot or nonresidential side street with no traffic: • Again, at 100% throttle, accelerate from 0 mph to 50 mph (80 kph).
WARNING: Comply with all local traffic safety laws. Only perform such maneuvers in a suitable location such as a large empty, parking lot or nonresidential side street with no traffic.
4. After confirming the absence of excessive vibrations or shuddering at the front of the vehicle, the vehicle may be returned to the customer.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Okay, who has the answers to these questions? Engineering minds need to know!

This week I will visit the service center in Lancaster Pa as they never picked up, or returned a call. I hopefully will be able to come away with a recently replaced driveshaft verified to be from a refresh S. All Tesla service centers might be required to return all warranty replaced shafts back to engineering at Tesla, or hopefully in a scrap bin I can access. If I am lucky to obtain the correct shaft I will perform a forensic teardown, with pictures. Film at eleven...

Not sure if this was mentioned here yet (have not been though all 192 pages) but my Autopilot and TACC started cutting out and was then totally unavailable. (Also posted here)

I made these notes:
Autopilot issue:
  • After car deep sleeps overnight Auto Steer/TACC will be available immediately at the start of the first drive of the new day
  • When Auto Steer/TACC are available stop signs, speed limit signs, garbage cans, etc are all visible in visualization as usual.
  • Upon engaging Auto Steer/TACC it will work for a very short time and then become unavailable and the car will disengage/force me to take over with the red yoke warning (auto steer loses visibility or confidence?). After this happens a couple of times Auto Steer/TACC are unavailable the rest of the day.
  • I also found out that I do not need to engage Auto Steer/TACC at all to have them cease to operate — after a few minutes of driving they will no longer be available and the dashboard visualizations stop functioning even without engaging Auto Steer/TACC
  • Once Auto Steer/TACC are unavailable the visualization of roadway lanes will often work, but stop signs, speed limit signs, other cars, garbage cans, traffic lights, etc no longer show up on the visualization.

• Diagnostics performed (all unsuccessful in making Auto Steer/TACC come back)
    • Hold both yoke buttons to reboot computers.
    • Hold brake + both yoke buttons for 60+ seconds to force “deeper” reboot
    • Format dash cam USB drive and reboot car
    • Remove dash cam USB drive and reboot car
    • Disable Sentry mode
    • Toggle all autopilot settings
    • Make sure headlights are set to AUTO
    • “Power off” car, power back on and drive.
    • Recalibrated cameras twice
I put in a service request and the Remote Diagnostic Team has ordered me a new radar unit. No ETA on arrival.
I have a 2021 Model S Plaid delivered in December 2021 with 2,000 miles on it. Issues started right around the time I upgraded to 2022.4.5.

Crap. Another dang service request hah. Idk why they wouldn't have said anything when it was there yesterday to have the glove box replaced and they installed the load cover finally.
I had to have my glovebox replaced too. Dash cam never worked and they replaced it.

I also never knew that extra storage behind the tail light had a cover. I’ll send service a note before my next appointment. Although I don’t see my trunk that often. 8 staff bags, 4 stand bags, 4 Trackmans, 1 FlightScope, 1 20’x20’ stand tent and a 6’ table.

Impressive though the driving characteristics don’t really change with the load.

Can’t wait for the CT.

Attachments

• 0372A98C-6C7D-4CDA-A44C-19E2F0066F22.jpeg
    0372A98C-6C7D-4CDA-A44C-19E2F0066F22.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 81
  • E41277DE-F522-4537-9DF8-9BC4C0CC3E62.jpeg
    E41277DE-F522-4537-9DF8-9BC4C0CC3E62.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 83
I had to have my glovebox replaced too. Dash cam never worked and they replaced it.

I also never knew that extra storage behind the tail light had a cover. I’ll send service a note before my next appointment. Although I don’t see my trunk that often. 8 staff bags, 4 stand bags, 4 Trackmans, 1 FlightScope, 1 20’x20’ stand tent and a 6’ table.

Impressive though the driving characteristics don’t really change with the load.

Can’t wait for the CT.
That's quite impressive you got all that in there :)

• Love
Reactions: Pdubs and impastu

Can’t wait for the CT.
Model S does not stand for Shipping you know!