Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my list of defects and glitches at delivery:

Back glass scratched (replacement glass ordered)
Dash grill has a small but visible dent right in the driver's line of site (replacement grill ordered)
Parking / ultrasonic sensors haven't worked since day one (local SC can't fix and problem has been escalated)
Driver's door handle started sticking in "out" position about an hour after delivery (adjusted and fixed by local SC)
Left scroll wheel on yoke squeaks like a mouse when rolling it up or down (waiting to see if it gets better with use)
Screens freeze and reboot when trying to open the owner's manual
Clear coat on leading edge of front fenders is noticeably sagging (will have it wet sanded shortly when paint is corrected and coated)
Rattle from outside of car on driver's side very noticeable, but only with window down
Rear door panels do not line up properly with other interior when closed, but honestly isn't very noticeable during normal use
GUI has obvious things missing or not 100% implemented but looks and works very well overall

• Informative
Reactions: croman

Dash grill has a small but visible dent right in the driver's line of site (replacement grill ordered)
Parking / ultrasonic sensors haven't worked since day one (local SC can't fix and problem has been escalated)
Driver's door handle started sticking in "out" position about an hour after delivery (adjusted and fixed by local SC)
Left scroll wheel on yoke squeaks like a mouse when rolling it up or down (waiting to see if it gets better with use)
Clear coat on leading edge of front fenders is noticeably sagging (will have it wet sanded shortly when paint is corrected and coated)
Rattle from outside of car on driver's side very noticeable, but only with window down
Rear door panels do not line up properly with other interior when closed, but honestly isn't very noticeable during normal use
GUI has obvious things missing or not 100% implemented but looks and works very well overall
Yikes. That’s a pretty lengthy list for a $130K vehicle.

Yikes. That’s a pretty lengthy list for a $130K vehicle.
Yeah.. not super happy about the list. But, really I pretty much expected a few more imperfections as an "early adopter". Love the car overall and would rather have it like it is now rather than wait a few more months. Just as long as they continue to work with me to work it all out.

Yeah.. not super happy about the list. But, really I pretty much expected a few more imperfections as an "early adopter". Love the car overall and would rather have it like it is now rather than wait a few more months. Just as long as they continue to work with me to work it all out.
They will probably be very helpful for early Plaid adopters and then go silent once the LR models start being delivered. Typical Tesla MO.

Reactions: JimmyMS

Yeah, I've learned to always wait a few months after launch of any Tesla model redesign. They have yet to resolve their QA issues on the manufacturing line early on.

Good thread. My issues so far:
- something loose and rolling around in the passenger door
- rattle from dash
- condensation inside taillight
- driver side window glass is warped, feels like I’m cross eyed when looking out

All easily fixed I think, and otherwise the car is a gem! Anyone else see any of these?

Also is anyone else deciding to skip ppf? I’m on the fence, I’ve never done it before, not sure on the value since it costs just as much to fix the ppf as it does to repaint bumper or hood in a couple of years?
I always do ppf. Just replaced the xpel on my '19 MX and my wife's '13 Porsche - no issue, not expensive. The '19 MX was backed into in my driveway by a contractor and needed hood repaint, an d the Porsche had an old-school mini-bra ppf style with a line across the hood and fenders, so we replaced it with full coverage xpel. Cost about $1,500 for each, full front of each vehicle. Both had been clearly protected from stone chip impacts, with multiple cuts and blips in the film that would have been paint chips, but there was no paint damage. I have been using ppf since our '01 BMW 330, probably 15 vehicles, always go straight from new car pickup to the detailer. Also good time to add 20% tint.

Good thread. My issues so far:
- something loose and rolling around in the passenger door
- rattle from dash
- condensation inside taillight
- driver side window glass is warped, feels like I’m cross eyed when looking out

All easily fixed I think, and otherwise the car is a gem! Anyone else see any of these?

Also is anyone else deciding to skip ppf? I’m on the fence, I’ve never done it before, not sure on the value since it costs just as much to fix the ppf as it does to repaint bumper or hood in a couple of years?
I have the same issue… There’s a screw or a bolt rolling around in the front passenger door.

My other issues, as of 3 days with the car and 225 miles:

At random times there is a humming, then buzzing, then whistling sound coming from driver's door handle. This is an electrical sound from the handle motor. When this happens the doorhandle will not retract and is locked in a rigid state. You cannot open the door. I have to go through the passenger side and press the internal door release button in order to open the door.

Went on a 2 hr. highway drive and at some point received multiple messages of “ultrasonic sensors not communicating“ when trying to make a lane change. Also have seen the same “park assist not available” message at least twice in the three days I’ve owned the car. I have FSD.

The Alcantara and molding on the drivers A pillar pulled away and will not stick/align with the pillar no matter how much pressure or force you apply.

There is a thin piece of weatherstripping between the roof and the rear hatch that is kinked and has prevented the hatch from closing on two occasions. I use my finger to smooth it out and then try to close the hatch again and it works.

Homelink procedure is nerfed. When I begin the process the system skips the first step (where are you take the garage door opener to the front bumper and press the opener button until the headlights flash).

Last edited:
Reactions: Vvcj
I have managed to get in approx 500 miles since picking it up Tuesday night. MIx of highway, side roads, and downtown rush hour.

Issues:
1) Rattle in back somewhere when going over a bump. Sounds like a license plate plate rattle (I know that is not it) but it is in the trunk area
2) Slight vibration in steering wheel above 70pmh
3) Drivers mirror glass vibrates - pass side is solid - whenever I hit a rough patch of road
4) There is a dent in the main speaker grill in dash that came from the factory. Small but right in my line of sight so I see it all the time driving
5) Parking assist turns off in wet weather and also dry good weather. Warning is intermittent.

Issues - hopefully to get software/firmware update to fix:
1) ANC
2) Sirius XM
3) Tri-zone climate not truly tri-zone. Rear cannot adjust temp independent of front
4) Phone key will not activate

Positives:
1) Drivers smooth and fast.
2) FSD works well - I think . Never used before so not sure if it is just me.
3) Apart from the rattle above, it is solid built.
4) Still love the yoke and think the LR is the right choice for me.
5) Wall charger does its job and used one supercharger with no issues. Leaving for another day trip up north,
6) Washed at self wash with pressure hose at windows, etc. No leaks visible.
7) Lots of other great things about the car that cannot be mentioned

Last edited:
At random times there is a humming, then buzzing, then whistling sound coming from driver's door handle. This is an electrical sound from the handle motor. When this happens the doorhandle will not retract and is locked in a rigid state. You cannot open the door. I have to go through the passenger side and press the internal door release button in order to open the door.
I had the same issue with the driver’s door handle. It would get stuck when it tried to retract and make a continuous whirring sound trying to pull in. I found that when it stuck in the out position that I could “bump“ it with the palm of my hand and it would retract, all the way in if the handle was supposed to be in, or if it should be out then bumping it would make it start to go in and then come back out in a non-rigid state where you open the door as normal. It seemed to be mechanically sticking all the way out.

My local service center was able to readjust the handle and it’s been working perfectly after that.

4) There is a dent in the main speaker grill in dash that came from the factory. Small but right in my line of sight so I see it all the time driving
5) Parking assist turns off in wet weather and also dry good weather. Warning is intermittent.
The dent in the main grill is interesting because that exactly describes the same dent I have. My local SC has a new grill in order for me. Hopefully it won’t have the same dent.. lol

My parking assist hasn’t worked at all from day one. 600+ miles of driving with nothing but a warning message in the bottom of the instrument cluster. 😝

Homelink procedure is nerfed. When I begin the process the system skips the first step (where are you take the garage door opener to the front bumper and press the opener button until the headlights flash).
I found that even though my headlights didn’t flash as well during the Homelink programming, the system did indeed learn the programming after pressing my original transmitter for several seconds. Homelink has been working as expected since.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The AP1 Mobile-eye technology that incorporated that feature has not been around since 2016.

Current Gen autopilot does not do lane changes with a turn signal or the steering wheel controls.
So with TACC and Autosteer (but not NoA/FSD) engaged, you aren't able to instruct the system to change lanes via the turn signal stalk on AP2+? Seems like a regression in functionality there.