Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your video single handedly changed my plans to buy a Model S anytime in the next 6 months, thank you for being willing to put that on the internet.

I cannot do the squeaky *sugar*. That would drive me absolutely insane. I also have no idea how they could possibly fix that without redesigning the doors/whatever is going on in the back/whatever is going on in the dash. I think all around it's very poor design and they are going to have to revise that stuff.

I'm hoping to just take delivery of a (mostly) issue free Model 3 for the rest of the year and sell it off mid-to-late next year once either A) the model s is revised B) my Rivian preorder is available (and my test drive goes well/the reviews are overwhelmingly positive) or C) get a Texas Model Y, if there's any notable improvements.

But yikes man. What the hell is wrong with the dash?! I cant believe it makes that noise when you push on it, that's insane. and the door handles, like they went with the cheapest plastics possible on all of those components.

IF IM WRONG ABOUT WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX THIS STUFF AND THEY ARE ABLE TO ADDRESS ALL/MOST OF IT, PLEASE LET US KNOW @MrExitStrategy
I will let you know how they handle these issues and if they are able to resolve all of them. My Model Y I took delivery a month prior was almost perfect saves for a couple of really minor issues.

Got my car back this evening from Tesla. It was a bug in the software they'd never seen before. Drove home, car connected to WiFi and downloaded game update data first (which is funny, but whatever - it needed it as several of the games said they needed updates and weren't playable). After that it downloaded the Nav software again, and now I'm up and running like nothing ever happened.

@WilliamG Not here. My passenger vent is always off when driving alone, unless I manually turn it on. Tesla says this is an energy saving feature, and is "by design".

Weird. Just went to the garage and confirmed - passenger vent is on by default for me. Nobody in the passenger seat.

@headcase , what am I missing here?

I wonder now if it’s because I have them split into two separate temperature readouts. I can check tomorrow if that’s the case…

Attachments

• 21DBCB30-7F95-4482-AD3A-184BE220B5FD.jpeg
    21DBCB30-7F95-4482-AD3A-184BE220B5FD.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 98
Weird. Just went to the garage and confirmed - passenger vent is on by default for me. Nobody in the passenger seat.

@headcase , what am I missing here?
If others are consistently seeing the opposite behavior, I gotta chalk it up to a one-off software glitch in your vehicle. Guess we should see who else is seeing the default-on vs. default-off behavior for the front passenger AC when unoccupied.

Reactions: impastu
If others are consistently seeing the opposite behavior, I gotta chalk it up to a one-off software glitch in your vehicle. Guess we should see who else is seeing the default-on vs. default-off behavior for the front passenger AC when unoccupied.

Do you have the temperature split enabled, though, like I do in my photo? I also don’t see any mention of passenger airbag off… hmm. Do you see that? I definitely get the no-seatbelt pop-up for the passenger if someone is sitting in that seat, though.

Definitely some more info required here!

Ah, interesting. I am picking up my Plaid next week and will confirm. In the meantime, existing owners please chime in.

I got out of bed to figure it out. And I did figure it out! If you don’t have the upward-facing vent enabled, it does indeed disable the passenger side. Since I always leave the up-vent on for defogging, this will never be an issue for me.

Attachments

• 2A1BD10A-8104-47F5-BE20-92586ACC800E.jpeg
    2A1BD10A-8104-47F5-BE20-92586ACC800E.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 73
Ok, is this the thread for my issues and dislikes? I love the car despite these issues/dislikes but thought I would share... I know some of my complaints are software related but still, some of these should have been addressed already.

Let's start:
1. The AC really SUCKS. It takes forever to start blowing "cool" air and when it does it only blows from the driver side unless manually turning it on. My 2018 S always had great powerful AC that kicked in pretty fast and blew "COLD" air. Glad I don't live in Phoenix anymore!
2. There is no AC in the back and if there is, you cant turn it on in my 2021.12.9.4 software
3. The vibration in the pedal and yoke at 40-45 MPH is annoying.
4. No controls for the back screen. My kids can turn the volume up/down and mess with everything. I can't even figure out how to play games back there yet.
5. No more energy/trip data unless you dig for it.
6. Why can't you customize the left screen?? Seems like such as easy thing!
7. The seats are so hard and not comfortable. You sit down and immediately feel you are sitting on a hard floor. I have all the other Teslas, my Wife's 2020 X seats are great, I really enjoyed my 2018 Model S seats also. Maybe its just me but not a fan.

Ok, is this the thread for my issues and dislikes? I love the car despite these issues/dislikes but thought I would share... I know some of my complaints are software related but still, some of these should have been addressed already.

Let's start:
1. The AC really SUCKS. It takes forever to start blowing "cool" air and when it does it only blows from the driver side unless manually turning it on. My 2018 S always had great powerful AC that kicked in pretty fast and blew "COLD" air. Glad I don't live in Phoenix anymore!
2. There is no AC in the back and if there is, you cant turn it on in my 2021.12.9.4 software
4. No controls for the back screen. My kids can turn the volume up/down and mess with everything. I can't even figure out how to play games back there yet.
7. The seats are so hard and not comfortable. You sit down and immediately feel you are sitting on a hard floor. I have all the other Teslas, my Wife's 2020 X seats are great, I really enjoyed my 2018 Model S seats also. Maybe its just me but not a fan.
Which model? I'd be surprised if you tell me you took delivery of plaid with white seats and CF...this is the Big Foot of refreshed Ss

Let's start:

You need to have the AC checked out. Mine is working excellent. Have had it in temps over 100F and it cooled down quickly. Had a BMW that cam from the factory without freon - they filled it at the dealer and no more issues. So, could be something that stupid.

I think the seats are great. Probably in my top 3 or 4.

You need to have the AC checked out. Mine is working excellent. Have had it in temps over 100F and it cooled down quickly. Had a BMW that cam from the factory without freon - they filled it at the dealer and no more issues. So, could be something that stupid.

I think the seats are great. Probably in my top 3 or 4.

Ok, then maybe I need to have the AC checked.. Are your seats really firm compared to other Tesla seats? This may be a personal thing, I cant find anyone else that doesn't like the seats..