Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to mine - was showing offline and went to drive it on morning. Car took about two minutes to "boot" up (black screens) and then all seemed fine. Drove it for 36 hours without a sign any issue. Then it went offline and went to check on it. Seemed fine, so I rebooted it. Walked back out to it a few minutes later to the "software update" screen and it being factory wiped. Dealt with mobile service and remote "engineering" who only said Tesla is aware of the issue and working on it. I would say potentially neither of those were true.
Mercy..I took it to the SC and they couldn't figure out how to connect to the car to push any update, I will have to take an appointment two weeks down the road to get some technician look at it.

Reactions: impastu
Ouch. Is it just sitting for two weeks? Or are you trying, sans Tesla app for the mean time?
I can drive but without navigation or a connected app. The technician at the SC told me to take an appointment but I didn't realize till I came home that I cannot use the app so can't make an appointment, so on hold with the SC for last 20 mins. I am now thinking all Tesla owners are at the mercy of the software testers, if there is a bug we all suffer and the support model at Tesla we all know sucks.

Ok, is this the thread for my issues and dislikes? I love the car despite these issues/dislikes but thought I would share... I know some of my complaints are software related but still, some of these should have been addressed already.

Let's start:
1. The AC really SUCKS. It takes forever to start blowing "cool" air and when it does it only blows from the driver side unless manually turning it on. My 2018 S always had great powerful AC that kicked in pretty fast and blew "COLD" air. Glad I don't live in Phoenix anymore!
2. There is no AC in the back and if there is, you cant turn it on in my 2021.12.9.4 software
3. The vibration in the pedal and yoke at 40-45 MPH is annoying.
4. No controls for the back screen. My kids can turn the volume up/down and mess with everything. I can't even figure out how to play games back there yet.
5. No more energy/trip data unless you dig for it.
6. Why can't you customize the left screen?? Seems like such as easy thing!
7. The seats are so hard and not comfortable. You sit down and immediately feel you are sitting on a hard floor. I have all the other Teslas, my Wife's 2020 X seats are great, I really enjoyed my 2018 Model S seats also. Maybe its just me but not a fan.
I think item #1 has been solved.

In terms of item #7, my impression from sitting it the front seats is that they are very similar to the last generation Model S seats (with the big change being in the rear seats), and have heard that pretty consistently from other new owners. So not sure what's up with that one.

Rest of the items are software related, which you know will likely get hashed out over time.

As for item #3, that one is my biggest concern for new owners and hence why I created this poll to see how widespread the issue is. Feel free to participate.

I can drive but without navigation or a connected app. The technician at the SC told me to take an appointment but I didn't realize till I came home that I cannot use the app so can't make an appointment, so on hold with the SC for last 20 mins. I am now thinking all Tesla owners are at the mercy of the software testers, if there is a bug we all suffer and the support model at Tesla we all know sucks.
I would have never left until they reconnected the app. It is really just resetting the security token between the car, mothership and app. If mobile service can do it, they can yank someone off the service center floor for 15 minutes to fix a brand new owners car. Especially with the app is a pivotal part of the experience. I

Wow, in the last day or so, this bug seems to have popped in many places. @WilliamG

Last edited:
I think one other guy brought this up, but yes - I'm guessing it's pretty common to have some dust specks in between the plastic "shield" and the LCD behind the yoke. I only see them when the sun hits the screen directly, but pretty lame the installation wasn't given a little more attention to prevent this happening.

Reactions: Tigers and impastu
I would have never left until they reconnected the app. It is really just resetting the security token between the car, mothership and app. If mobile service can do it, they can yank someone off the service center floor for 15 minutes to fix a brand new owners car. Especially with the app is a pivotal part of the experience. I

It doesn't take 15 minutes, is the issue... Apparently it was a pretty involved fix. They have to plug a system in under the main display and do all sorts of jiggery-pokery to resolve the problem, while on the line with engineering.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Off topic. Had PPF done. The plaid badge didnt go back on well. Does anyone know how to order a new one. Most online searches result in old responses saying you can’t. Has that changed.
Ask your Tesla service center. EPC shows they cost $2.04. Here's the part number for ya:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.54.38 PM.png

It doesn't take 15 minutes, is the issue... Apparently it was a pretty involved fix. They have to plug a system in under the main display and do all sorts of jiggery-pokery to resolve the problem, while on the line with engineering.
Wish there was a uninstall option to roll back to prior version. The car is offline and they couldn't connect to it at the SC to run any diagnostics.

Okay, so noticed a few things:
  1. No car wash mode yet
  2. No ANC, at least not explicitly noted in the release notes
  3. Can't get autopark to work (also, autopark was not noted in the release notes)
Anyone on 2021.24.3 able to get autopark to work? I guess one person on YouTube has gotten it to work but on 2021.24.2 and here's what it's supposed to look like:
Same issues here for all three

Hi guys, thought I would start a checklist we can all add to. Feel free to add to it.

Tesla Model S Checklist

• Panel gaps
  • Trunk and hood alignment
  • Fender alignment
  • Bumper alignment
  • Paint
  • Clear coat overspray or missing, door jams
  • Glass overspray, clarity and scratches
  • Door handles getting stuck
  • Outside fender/windshield paint
  • Yoke leather coming apart
  • Glue showing in Yoke