Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok everyone. I dropped of my MS Plaid to the SC yesterday 8-26-21 for the following issues:

Note:
Delivery: 8-7-21
Vin # 438xxx
SW: 2021.12.4.9
Current miles: 374
  1. Black gloss trim under T logo in hood is scratched.
  2. Driver side headlight large gap, also flickers when parked and day tune running LED lights delayed cut off are on.
  3. When car is off and not charging day time running LED’s on both headlights very faintly stay on.
  4. Passenger door unaligned and doesn’t close like the rest.
  5. Passenger door molding / weather strip crinkled where it attaches to the upper center pillar and window connect.
  6. Rear trunk has dimple dent / damage.
  7. Left taillight gap.
  8. Charging port door unaligned.
  9. Drivers side, side mirror glass vibrates / jiggles making it hard to see out of when driving and going over minor bumps.
  10. Main center screen has frozen and system had reboot it’s self 4 times on its own.
  11. Drivers display went completely black while driving for about 15 min then came back on very dim then got brighter as I continued to drive.
  12. Can’t access dash came video review.
  13. After entering Glove box pin the glove box either won’t open or when it does open it won’t latch closed. Electronic latch needs time to reset to catch again.
  14. Slight dash rattle coming from or around drivers display / dash area.
  15. Orange peel texture on bumpers and certain spots around the car.
Please let us know how it goes.

Please do not take this the wrong way but that looks like aged walnut. I'm hoping Tesla does not have a temperature problem with their wood.
No worries. I suspect that the wood moisture was incorrect when it was formed into the trim shapes. The wood also seems to have some stain. I'm really hoping they will replace with good wood. Plan B is to either replace with CF or to refinish the pieces myself. Hopefully there are others that got their wood replaced that I can use as precedent.

Reactions: impastu
Ok everyone. I dropped of my MS Plaid to the SC yesterday 8-26-21 for the following issues:

Note:
Delivery: 8-7-21
Vin # 438xxx
SW: 2021.12.4.9
Current miles: 374
  1. Black gloss trim under T logo in hood is scratched.
  2. Driver side headlight large gap, also flickers when parked and day tune running LED lights delayed cut off are on.
  3. When car is off and not charging day time running LED’s on both headlights very faintly stay on.
  4. Passenger door unaligned and doesn’t close like the rest.
  5. Passenger door molding / weather strip crinkled where it attaches to the upper center pillar and window connect.
  6. Rear trunk has dimple dent / damage.
  7. Left taillight gap.
  8. Charging port door unaligned.
  9. Drivers side, side mirror glass vibrates / jiggles making it hard to see out of when driving and going over minor bumps.
  10. Main center screen has frozen and system had reboot it’s self 4 times on its own.
  11. Drivers display went completely black while driving for about 15 min then came back on very dim then got brighter as I continued to drive.
  12. Can’t access dash came video review.
  13. After entering Glove box pin the glove box either won’t open or when it does open it won’t latch closed. Electronic latch needs time to reset to catch again.
  14. Slight dash rattle coming from or around drivers display / dash area.
  15. Orange peel texture on bumpers and certain spots around the car.
@Angelo14 Short list! Did they agree to address all of these items? How long will your car be, “laid up”?

Did everyone check under the car? After watching Rich Rebuilds’ video I looked and the right side (Front Driver Side) had a loose plastic piece, that needed to be pressed in and up, it clipped in. Luckily I’ve only had the car a few days and driving it very conservatively till I have PPF done soon.

Attachments

• A3AA2B11-BCEE-4A3C-8D7B-8E3A3B6C0F9A.jpeg
    A3AA2B11-BCEE-4A3C-8D7B-8E3A3B6C0F9A.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 3654D447-7687-4332-8696-A6FBCC1356ED.jpeg
    3654D447-7687-4332-8696-A6FBCC1356ED.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi all,

Interesting I was not able to locate this thread before :)

Want to share my experience.

I took delivery back on 8/3/21. Plaid black on black with CF and 21".

So my car had a few issues at the delivery time:
- Burned spot on carper around RR door.
- A few pieces of the interior were not aligned properly (they fixed it right away).
- A couple of rubber seals were not in place. They fixed one in the front bumper right away and told me will fix the door's rubber seal later, but a couple of weeks later it sits just normal.
-FR door needs to be resprayed.
- They gave me only 1 key fob with the car.

After taking off from delivery lot I've got SRS error which has been presented until service appointment 15 days later.

After 2 weeks and driving 4000 miles central console lid has started closing itself on rough roads and under hard acceleration.
Also, both windows on the right side have started making a grinding noise when you roll up windows. They told me they will replace its mechanism that rolling windows down and up

So, my car sits in SC for 10 days already and they told me they have ordered parts that need to be replaced and while waiting for it sent the car to the body shop. I'm able to track the car and seems like there is no progress for a week already. They simply move it out in the morning and moving back in in the evening...

Also, my service adviser tells they are not able to fix the SRS error light...

I'm just frustrated... But it's almost 14 days since the car has been serviced. 16 more days and I'll open a lemon law case.

Attachments

• photo1630108009.jpeg
    photo1630108009.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 102
  • photo1630107954 (4).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (4).jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 95
  • photo1630107954 (5).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (5).jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 93
  • photo1630107954 (6).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (6).jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 84
  • photo1630107954 (3).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (3).jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 98
  • photo1630107954 (2).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (2).jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 95
  • photo1630107954 (1).jpeg
    photo1630107954 (1).jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 80
  • photo1630107954.jpeg
    photo1630107954.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
Did everyone check under the car? After watching Rich Rebuilds’ video I looked and the right side (Front Driver Side) had a loose plastic piece, that needed to be pressed in and up, it clipped in. Luckily I’ve only had the car a few days and driving it very conservatively till I have PPF done soon.
I had the same issue. I have found it a few days after delivery. Seems like just poor design of those things

• Helpful
Reactions: UkrHog and Ormond
@Angelo14 Short list! Did they agree to address all of these items? How long will your car be, “laid up”?
Yes they agreed. $0.00 charge. The one that concerned me the most was the dent/dimple. I asked them if they could just have a dent repair person pull it out like I see all these YouTube videos of. He told they will see what they can do. If not they will have to fix it and repaint the whole trunk which I really don’t want. They advised me that they are shooting for the car being ready by Monday. If a full repair and repaint he said it would be longer. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Note: He also said that he would make sure my software was up to date. I’m assuming 2021.24.4.

Reactions: Ormond and impastu
Yes they agreed. $0.00 charge. The one that concerned me the most was the dent/dimple. I asked them if they could just have a dent repair person pull it out like I see all these YouTube videos of. He told they will see what they can do. If not they will have to fix it and repaint the whole trunk which I really don’t want. They advised me that they are shooting for the car being ready by Monday. If a full repair and repaint he said it would be longer. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Note: He also said that he would make sure my software was up to date. I’m assuming 2021.24.4.
So my order is coming in at EOQ, Sept 18 to 30. It'll be interesting to see how many problems in mine assuming logically that EOQ equals rush jobs and shoddier workmanship to meet targets. Like a nightmare waiting to happen

So my order is coming in at EOQ, Sept 18 to 30. It'll be interesting to see how many problems in mine assuming logically that EOQ equals rush jobs and shoddier workmanship to meet targets. Like a nightmare waiting to happen
Go in and run the full checklist before taking delivery or make any commitment. That's what I plan to do if my timeline sticks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond and impastu
Dropped it off to Springfield on Wednesday August 18th at ~8:30-9:00am. I believe his color was midnight silver or black. They definitely said it was a sensor problem but that the car is so new that there could not promise an ETA to fix the issue.
Got the sensor replaced two days ago and everything seems to be working well. Occasionally the media player stays on but I don’t think it’s going to be an ongoing
Problem. Thanks for your help

Hi all,

Interesting I was not able to locate this thread before :)

Want to share my experience.

I took delivery back on 8/3/21. Plaid black on black with CF and 21".

So my car had a few issues at the delivery time:
- Burned spot on carper around RR door.
- A few pieces of the interior were not aligned properly (they fixed it right away).
- A couple of rubber seals were not in place. They fixed one in the front bumper right away and told me will fix the door's rubber seal later, but a couple of weeks later it sits just normal.
-FR door needs to be resprayed.
- They gave me only 1 key fob with the car.

After taking off from delivery lot I've got SRS error which has been presented until service appointment 15 days later.

After 2 weeks and driving 4000 miles central console lid has started closing itself on rough roads and under hard acceleration.
Also, both windows on the right side have started making a grinding noise when you roll up windows. They told me they will replace its mechanism that rolling windows down and up

So, my car sits in SC for 10 days already and they told me they have ordered parts that need to be replaced and while waiting for it sent the car to the body shop. I'm able to track the car and seems like there is no progress for a week already. They simply move it out in the morning and moving back in in the evening...

Also, my service adviser tells they are not able to fix the SRS error light...

I'm just frustrated... But it's almost 14 days since the car has been serviced. 16 more days and I'll open a lemon law case.
Did you get the lower hanging seal fixed behind your front bumper? I have the same issue...

I encountered exactly the same problem in my new Plaid. I drove 167 miles. The Trips indicated 61 kWh used and 361 wh/mi, which was consistent with the way I was driving based on my P85D experience. However the battery dropped from 97% SOC to 12% SOC! That calculates out to a battery capacity of 72 kWh - obviously wrong.

I also have the issue of the battery overcharging vs. the charging limit. I see it claim charging complete at 80% but 30 minutes later the indicated charge is 85% or 86%. I believe these two issues are related.

The car is currently at the SC. I'll report back when there is some resolution.
I got a message from service late today saying that my repair was complete. However since it was completed after hours Tesla will need to do a final quality check on Monday morning before releasing the car to me. Since the repair is not technically complete there is no way for me to see the invoice to know what their diagnosis was for the battery issues. I will report back on Monday when I know more.

I got a message from service late today saying that my repair was complete. However since it was completed after hours Tesla will need to do a final quality check on Monday morning before releasing the car to me. Since the repair is not technically complete there is no way for me to see the invoice to know what their diagnosis was for the battery issues. I will report back on Monday when I know more.

Interesting. Do post the solution when you can/know…!