Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed a rubbing sound from behind the yoke when it is turned about 180 degrees (when it is upside down)? I noticed this after the service center took apart the yoke to fix an airbag issue, and am trying to figure out if this was present before already, or if they caused it when they put everything back together. It only rubs when turning the yoke from side to side about 20 degrees in each direction when it is upside down. It is very subtle, but noticeable if music is off and AC fan is low. If someone could try this out and see if they notice it on their car too?

Reactions: impastu
I'm not happy with the quality of the wood trim and would appreciate other opinions on this before my service appointment.

Pretty much all of the walnut trim in my Plaid has small splits and checks. The small sharp edges are very obvious to the touch and can be seen clearly. I have added this to the punch list for my car when I go in for it's first service appointment. I am also a woodworker so I am particularly tuned to defects like these. The wood feels like it split during forming and they did not smooth it afterward.

I have told the service rep that at this price point I consider this unacceptable and it all needs to be replaced or changed to CF. Am I being unreasonable?

View attachment 701911 View attachment 701912 View attachment 701913 View attachment 701914
Looks like it's weathered, like trim in a ragtop might get when someone forgets/neglects to put the top back up and it gets wet repeatedly. I wouldn't want that in my car either.

I have an issue where the HVAC fan (I think) is running hours after the car has been parked (and not plugged in). The fan noise is coming from the rear edge of the hood by the front wind screen. I also have high vampire drain.

Does anyone else have this? Is it tied to a SW revision level?
I have had this same issue since I took delivery in late July. I'm on the latest software and it still persists. I just wish I could get a definite "yes this is normal" from someone at Tesla, but I'm not sure how I would even go about that without a lengthy service visit.

I can go on a short 10 minute, very easy drive and the same faint fan sound that you and @omarsultan describe will go on for at least an hour. I'm used to the typical Tesla clicks and such, but it weirds me out for the car to be running for so long when I go into the garage to grab something. Also, FYI my vampire drain doesn't seem any different from my old 2020 Model S Performance as of now.

Nice! Yours looks like what I was hoping mine would look like. I'm kind of expecting responses from the service center like @cwanja and @WilliamG suggested. Pics of quality wood will help make the case for replacement. Thanks!

Please do not take this the wrong way but that looks like aged walnut. I'm hoping Tesla does not have a temperature problem with their wood.

Keep us updated, please, @Bull !

When in autopilot I the right dial does not adjust the car length distance like it did on my model Y. Is this normal and is there some other way to do it other than using the UI?
Yeah, it says in the owners manual that this is the expected behavior--I assume at some point they will change the when they the AP figured out with the new cars.

Well I am officially frustrated. There are a number of things not working yet on my Long Range S, however when doing hard accelerations the steering got squirrely and felt like it was going to lose control. I took it in to service. They were able to correct that issue (loose nut and something with the toe), however my car steering is now pulling to the right with normal driving. I called them an hour after I got the car back and told them what happened. At first the advisor's reaction to me was it was my fault. I must have knocked it out of alignment. I said it wasn't the case and I am calling them back an hour later, not a week later. After waiting 4 days and a supervisor not getting back to me, I drove it back to the center. They tested it with me and confirmed it. In the meantime a new yoke had arrived (heating wasn't working), so they replaced the yoke and said they fixed the alighnment. Car was ready a few days later and I picked it up and test drove it and it STILL was pulling to the right. Went back to center, and once again confirmed by manager. My car is back in service and the next time will be the THIRD time I will be coming to pick it up to see if they can get the alignment right. The car did not pull to the right previously before they fixed the squirrely issue. This is very disappointing. After waiting 9 months for this car and the problems and not having functioning features, I am wondering if the car is worth it. It's a great looking car and fun to drive, but Tesla service is horrific. If anybody has any insight on the alignment issue, please let me know. Thanks.
Which SC did you take it to if I may ask?

Had 2 updates so far, but SiriusXM not available yet even thought the Mulroney “sticker” clearly says “HD FM with SiriusXM.”
Still can’t trip reset, or get the clock to show the right time in my time zone, but I now have Disney+ for those who have an account and care about watching it in the car—I don’t.
Too often when unsuccessfully attempting to engage cruise control or autopilot, I get a warning that my “Front radar visibility restricted.”
The garage door pop up window blocks part of both rear cameras when backing out.
The yoke blocks about 4 square inches of the lower left part of the touch screen without leaning right, however the steering wheel in my older Model S blocks none of the screen.
The yoke I’m getting used to, but I don’t think I’ll ever like the horizontal touchscreen.
There’s more glare on the instrument panel and main screens than in my P85DL.
Minor vibration at 35-45 mph when mildly accelerating.
Lots of improvement needed on various screens, like better organization of buttons, use of colors to separate categories of buttons, etc.

Ok everyone. I dropped of my MS Plaid to the SC yesterday 8-26-21 for the following issues:

Note:
Delivery: 8-7-21
Vin # 438xxx
SW: 2021.12.4.9
Current miles: 374
  1. Black gloss trim under T logo in hood is scratched.
  2. Driver side headlight large gap, also flickers when parked and day tune running LED lights delayed cut off are on.
  3. When car is off and not charging day time running LED’s on both headlights very faintly stay on.
  4. Passenger door unaligned and doesn’t close like the rest.
  5. Passenger door molding / weather strip crinkled where it attaches to the upper center pillar and window connect.
  6. Rear trunk has dimple dent / damage.
  7. Left taillight gap.
  8. Charging port door unaligned.
  9. Drivers side, side mirror glass vibrates / jiggles making it hard to see out of when driving and going over minor bumps.
  10. Main center screen has frozen and system had reboot it’s self 4 times on its own.
  11. Drivers display went completely black while driving for about 15 min then came back on very dim then got brighter as I continued to drive.
  12. Can’t access dash came video review.
  13. After entering Glove box pin the glove box either won’t open or when it does open it won’t latch closed. Electronic latch needs time to reset to catch again.
  14. Slight dash rattle coming from or around drivers display / dash area.
  15. Orange peel texture on bumpers and certain spots around the car.

Ok everyone. I dropped of my MS Plaid to the SC yesterday 8-26-21 for the following issues:

Note:
Vin # 438xxx
SW: 2021.12.4.9
  1. Black gloss trim under T logo in hood is scratched.
  2. Driver side headlight large gap, also flickers when parked and day tune running LED lights delayed cut off are on.
  3. When car is off and not charging day time running LED’s on both headlights very faintly stay on.
  4. Passenger door unaligned and doesn’t close like the rest.
  5. Passenger door molding / weather strip crinkled where it attaches to the upper center pillar and window connect.
  6. Rear trunk has dimple dent / damage.
  7. Left taillight gap.
  8. Charging port door unaligned.
  9. Drivers side, side mirror glass vibrates / jiggles making it hard to see out of when driving and going over minor bumps.
  10. Main center screen has frozen and system had reboot it’s self 4 times on its own.
  11. Drivers display went completely black while driving for about 15 min then came back on very dim then got brighter as I continued to drive.
  12. Can’t access dash came video review.
  13. After entering Glove box pin the glove box either won’t open or when it does open it won’t latch closed. Electronic latch needs time to reset to catch again.
  14. Slight dash rattle coming from or around drivers display / dash area.
  15. Orange peel texture on bumpers and certain spots around the car.
What's the build date?