Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$90k? Think of the rest of us who spent $165k with taxes on Plaids. It's pretty appalling. Sorry for the issue, but yeah that is not acceptable.

My issue is clearly not the wall connector. It's like the car doesn't realize it's at 100% when it is, and is misreporting some data but not others, so the charger is shutting off correctly but the car doesn't think it's correct. Watching your car go from 84% to 100% while not charging over the course of 15 minutes is some weird stuff, let me tell you.

I've now spoken to Tesla again, and they've gotten loads of proof from me - pictures, videos etc etc - so they should be able to figure something out.
165?
It was 151 for me after taxes and registration 🤔

Reactions: impastu
$139.9k for my Plaid (no sales tax in OR). Have had no significant issues except having to access the dashcam viewer with voice command. Oh, and driving around on my own property sub 5 mph without a seatbelt covers up the repeater cameras and Homelink with an annoying alert. Also if the rear display is on, the screen side swap button disappears.

Installing 32.5 as we speak, we'll see what all that fixes.

There is arguably an imperfection in the clarity of the rear window glass right along the curved bottom edge, but I don't notice it when driving and had to actually go look for it after reading about it.

$139.9k for my Plaid (no sales tax in OR). Have had no significant issues except having to access the dashcam viewer with voice command. Oh, and driving around on my own property sub 5 mph without a seatbelt covers up the repeater cameras and Homelink with an annoying alert. Also if the rear display is on, the screen side swap button disappears.

Installing 32.5 as we speak, we'll see what all that fixes.

There is arguably an imperfection in the clarity of the rear window glass right along the curved bottom edge, but I don't notice it when driving and had to actually go look for it after reading about it.
Glad you’re having a good time. It’s not “arguable” about the rear glass near the bottom, mind. The distortion is hilariously bad. 🤣 I don’t know how anyone doesn’t notice… Sure, you can tune it out, but it’s still poor.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
Glad you’re having a good time. It’s not “arguable” about the rear glass near the bottom, mind. The distortion is hilariously bad. 🤣 I don’t know how anyone doesn’t notice… Sure, you can tune it out, but it’s still poor.
I think based on what I've read from others, maybe mine isn't as bad? I'd say it's maybe the bottom quarter to half inch. I tend to have my rearview mirror adjusted a little higher because I don't like glancing at backseats, so that's likely why I don't notice it as much 🤷‍♂️

I think based on what I've read from others, maybe mine isn't as bad? I'd say it's maybe the bottom quarter to half inch. I tend to have my rearview mirror adjusted a little higher because I don't like glancing at backseats, so that's likely why I don't notice it as much 🤷‍♂️

Every Model S I've seen exhibits this. Since I see the whole glass, I notice it. Always.

I think based on what I've read from others, maybe mine isn't as bad? I'd say it's maybe the bottom quarter to half inch. I tend to have my rearview mirror adjusted a little higher because I don't like glancing at backseats, so that's likely why I don't notice it as much
Mine is basically the bottom 1/4 as viewed from the front. Definitely on the list for Mondays SC appointment. I'm getting used to it but it should not have fun house glass at all. Unfortunately I already had the car tinted...

Has anyone seen something like this? It appears to be under the outside "layer" of the glass. This is on the overhead glass, rear side.
I've only just noticed today but happen to be going into my local SC for other issues.

I was really getting tired of finding issues and thought I had found them all. Hopefully this isn't something major.

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_144722.jpg
    IMG_20210831_144722.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20210831_144726.jpg
    IMG_20210831_144726.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Mine is basically the bottom 1/4 as viewed from the front. Definitely on the list for Mondays SC appointment. I'm getting used to it but it should not have fun house glass at all. Unfortunately I already had the car tinted...

The side windows also have crazy distortion, too. Look at a building or something as you put the windows down, from inside the car. It's a joke. This car has the worst glass of any car I've ever owned. It's like looking through a window without astigmatism correction in your lenses.

The side windows also have crazy distortion, too. Look at a building or something as you put the windows down, from inside the car. It's a joke. This car has the worst glass of any car I've ever owned. It's like looking through a window without astigmatism correction in your lenses.
Yep, confirming this. I think it is caused by some refraction introduced with the double pane / glazing process in the new glass. Someone at Tesla failed their optics course.

@WilliamG do you have any other cars with double-pane/laminated glass that do not exhibit this distortion?

Reactions: impastu and Tigers
Has anyone seen something like this? It appears to be under the outside "layer" of the glass. This is on the overhead glass, rear side.
I've only just noticed today but happen to be going into my local SC for other issues.

I was really getting tired of finding issues and thought I had found them all. Hopefully this isn't something major.
Looks like delamination to me....

Yep, confirming this. I think it is caused by some refraction introduced with the double pane / glazing process in the new glass. Someone at Tesla failed their optics course.

@WilliamG do you have any other cars with double-pane/laminated glass that do not exhibit this distortion?

No. This is the first car I’ve owned with double-paned glass. Honestly I’d take the tiny bit more road noise than the awful distortion, and I t gives my wife a headache when she looks out the side windows at the scenery when we drive. How bad is that?!

Truly, this has been the most disappointing car purchase of my life. And it’s not even far from over dealing with the myriad of problems my car has. A new high-voltage battery is in my immediate future.

Sorry to hear about all this stuff guys. Thank you for posting even though it's no help to you. I read this thread every few days and the more I read the less and less likely I am to get this car.

Honestly, if you can wait, wait. This is the worst car purchase I've EVER made. And it's ironically the most expensive car I've ever bought. The list of issues my car has is truly legion:

1.) Blasted speaker grille dent up front by the windshield that requires removing basically the entire dash AND windshield to replace.
2.) Trunk that doesn't close straight (right side first), which requires damaging paint to fix.
3.) Front passenger door that requires noticeably more force to close than any other door and that can't seem to be fixed without damaging paint.
4.) A car that won't charge to full, and has a reported range 15-20% lower than any other Plaid apparently.
5.) A windshield that needed to be replaced due to ripple distortion right in my line of sight.
6.) A rearview mirror that got chipped in the process of replacing the windshield, and now need to also be replaced.
7.) Rear spoiler peeling off the trunk lid.
8.) Since replacing the windshield I get a clicking sound when turning onto steeper driveways. The SC also managed to get debris in between the cameras and the windshield, so that's fun to see.
9.) A dash rattle up front, and a rattle from somewhere in the rear.
10.) Vibrating driver's side mirror on the highway.
11.) Piece of trunk trim that was warped from the factory, and requires replacement.
12.) All side windows and rear glass have warping distortion in them (likely) from the double-pane process. It's awful.
13.) Don't get me started on the yoke/turn signals/horn crap at low speed/maneuvering/three-point turns etc.

Anyone want to buy a Plaid with 800 miles? At the moment I can't stand this car. I really hope the competition steps up because I'd really like this to be the last Tesla I buy based on this experience, which is a world apart from the near-flawless experience I had with my Model 3 Performance back in 2019.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you can wait, wait. This is the worst car purchase I've EVER made. And it's ironically the most expensive car I've ever bought. The list of issues my car has is truly legion:

1.) Blasted speaker grille dent up front by the windshield that requires removing basically the entire dash AND windshield to replace.
2.) Trunk that doesn't close straight (right side first), which requires damaging paint to fix.
3.) Front passenger door that requires noticeably more force to close than any other door and that can't seem to be fixed without damaging paint.
4.) A car that won't charge to full, and has a reported range 15-20% lower than any other Plaid apparently.
5.) A windshield that needed to be replaced due to ripple distortion right in my line of sight.
6.) A rearview mirror that got chipped in the process of replacing the windshield, and now need to also be replaced.
7.) Rear spoiler peeling off the trunk lid.
8.) Since replacing the windshield I get a clicking sound when turning onto steeper driveways. The SC also managed to get debris in between the cameras and the windshield, so that's fun to see.
9.) A dash rattle up front, and a rattle from somewhere in the rear.
10.) Vibrating driver's side mirror on the highway.
11.) Piece of trunk trim that was warped from the factory, and requires replacement.
12.) All side windows and rear glass have warping distortion in them (likely) from the double-pane process. It's awful.
13.) Don't get me started on the yoke/turn signals/horn crap at low speed/maneuvering/three-point turns etc.

Anyone want to buy a Plaid with 800 miles? At the moment I can't stand this car. I really hope the competition steps up because I'd really like this to be the last Tesla I buy based on this experience, which is a world apart from the near-flawless experience I had with my Model 3 Performance back in 2019.

Damn man. It sounds like they just slapped that one together. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you can get them to buy it back. That's garbage.