Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MS LR a couple of weeks ago. I have no mechanical issues, no rattles (so far); my main issue is the panel alignment and gaps. I am also facing issues with the rubber around the doors; it seems to peel off or bending in some areas. I am scheduled to take it tomorrow to Raleigh SC. They say that it should all be done within the same day. Is your experience that these things get fixed on the first try? I really wish that a $90K car did not have all these issues.

Attachments

• IMG_1079(1).JPEG
    IMG_1079(1).JPEG
    322 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1076(1).JPEG
    IMG_1076(1).JPEG
    314.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1075.JPEG
    IMG_1075.JPEG
    344.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1074.JPEG
    IMG_1074.JPEG
    275.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1070.JPEG
    IMG_1070.JPEG
    279.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1030.JPEG
    IMG_1030.JPEG
    284.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1033.JPEG
    IMG_1033.JPEG
    253.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1042(1).JPEG
    IMG_1042(1).JPEG
    565.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1041(1).JPEG
    IMG_1041(1).JPEG
    389.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1038.JPEG
    IMG_1038.JPEG
    594.9 KB · Views: 110
I took delivery of my MS LR a couple of weeks ago. I have no mechanical issues, no rattles (so far); my main issue is the panel alignment and gaps. I am also facing issues with the rubber around the doors; it seems to peel off or bending in some areas. I am scheduled to take it tomorrow to Raleigh SC. They say that it should all be done within the same day. Is your experience that these things get fixed on the first try? I really wish that a $90K car did not have all these issues.

I wouldn't care about 90% of those. Those rear doors look better than mine, and I wouldn't touch them based on those interior pictures. The rubber flapped under the material on the driver's door - just pull the rubber back out (if there is rubber there!). Mine was the same, and for some reason mine will go back in every now and then, but really - aside from actual damaged stuff, I'd not bother with the rest of it. I wish my rear doors looked anywhere near as aligned as yours does, - that's one of the best I've seen.

Attachments

• 1631046524829.png
    1631046524829.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 118
Here we go. I'm officially starting counting week 4 in a row at SC.
Ugh. Such a joke. Still, you’re doing better than me! About to start week 6 on Wednesday night and a car that still won’t go more than about 200 miles at 284Wh/mi. And the advice from Tesla? “Just keep charging to 90% and let the battery continue to balance”. Sure, Tesla. I’m certain that by continuing to charge to 90% instead of my usual 80% my car will miraculously find another 150 miles of range. 🙄

Ugh. Such a joke. Still, you’re doing better than me! About to start week 6 on Wednesday night and a car that still won’t go more than about 200 miles at 284Wh/mi. And the advice from Tesla? “Just keep charging to 90% and let the battery continue to balance”. Sure, Tesla. I’m certain that by continuing to charge to 90% instead of my usual 80% my car will miraculously find another 150 miles of range. 🙄
Have you gone back in to Dynotest mode again to see if the difference between the lowest and highest brick have gotten any closer? (Is it actually making any progress balancing?)

Reactions: impastu
Def better yeah. Paying for the car which I can't ride. But tesla technicians are able every day at least 5mi.

Better...

Have you gone back in to Dynotest mode again to see if the difference between the lowest and highest brick have gotten any closer? (Is it actually making any progress balancing?)
I’ll check in a bit. First dynotest showed 90kWh full pack. Min brick 4.01V and max brick 4.09V. That was last Thursday.

On Friday it showed 82.8kWh full pack, min 4.10V and max 4.19V.

Then after two days not touching the car (Friday to Sunday) it showed 82.7kWh, min 4.09V and max 4.14V.

Haven’t looked again today, but I’ll check shortly. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't care about 90% of those. Those rear doors look better than mine, and I wouldn't touch them based on those interior pictures. The rubber flapped under the material on the driver's door - just pull the rubber back out (if there is rubber there!). Mine was the same, and for some reason mine will go back in every now and then, but really - aside from actual damaged stuff, I'd not bother with the rest of it. I wish my rear doors looked anywhere near as aligned as yours does, - that's one of the best I've seen.
@WilliamG, your case is way worst compared to mine. If I were in your shoes at this point, I would have invoked the Lemon Law (if applicable in your state).

I love the car but can't leave Tesla off the hook on poor building quality, especially on a car like this, my Grand Cherokee cost 1/3 of the Model S, and it did not have all these issues. The Volvo XC60 that I had previously, I would also have not allowed this type of defect to pass unchecked.

When I ordered a Model S, I was aware this was a possibility, but I also heard Tesla was great when you pointed it out and would fix them. All brands became better at QC because we buyers ensured they delivered a good product and would not accept any less from them. Tesla produces great cars in terms of technology but is still going through the growing pains of being a relatively recent manufacturer. It is understandable but at the premium price, they sell their cars they should be accountable.

I’ll check in a bit. First dynotest showed 90kWh full pack. Min brick 4.01V and max brick 4.09V. That was last Thursday.

Then after two days not touching the car (Friday to Sunday) it showed 82.7kWh, min 4.09V and max 4.14V.

It seems that you started with an imbalance of 80-90mV and it is now down to ~50mV. So it seems like it is making progress, and is almost halfway there. Once it is balanced the question will be does it stay balanced, or if you run the pack down and recharge it does it go back out of balance.

BTW: I think the goal is for the "resting" imbalance to be less than 10mV. (The closer to 0 the better.)

@WilliamG, your case is way worst compared to mine. If I were in your shoes at this point, I would have invoked the Lemon Law (if applicable in your state).
I don't think he can, because the car hasn't been in service for any length of time, or had repair attempts. (If he tried to go through arbitration Tesla would likely say that he "failed to present the vehicle for diagnostics and repairs.")

It seems that you started with an imbalance of 80-90mV and it is now down to ~50mV. So it seems like it is making progress, and is almost halfway there. Once it is balanced the question will be does it stay balanced, or if you run the pack down and recharge it does it go back out of balance.

BTW: I think the goal is for the "resting" imbalance to be less than 10mV. (The closer to 0 the better.)

I don't think he can, because the car hasn't been in service for any length of time, or had repair attempts. (If he tried to go through arbitration Tesla would likely say that he "failed to present the vehicle for diagnostics and repairs.")
Right. Comparing a friend’s Plaid his is nigh identical on min and max V. So yeah. And correct on lemon law. So far.

Thanks - so guessing LR 19 should be over 400 then.

That has to be so annoying. I would be pissed if that happened to me. All these issues with Tesla really makes the first time buyer like me question even getting one. Just plain unacceptable. I don’t want to buy an $80k plus car and screw around with QC or issues like the above. Such a bummer, as would be a great car otherwise. I don‘t care how fast it is, these type of issues bring the whole experience down.

Your friend's has a difference of almost 0.09V when fully charged, and resting? Does theirs show the reduced full capacity like yours?
Ok so two different peeps. @Muzzman1 just sent me his, you can see the 0.05V between the packs. His car is seriously messed up in terms of range and reported full pack as you can see below. @jebinc sent me his a few days ago and you can see the pack looks great and the min/max are dead on.

Attachments

• 07DFAB65-EA44-4B95-9E20-390BEC4DC05D.jpeg
    07DFAB65-EA44-4B95-9E20-390BEC4DC05D.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 2BE7C8FD-E065-40B4-B349-F20390B5F647.jpeg
    2BE7C8FD-E065-40B4-B349-F20390B5F647.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 77
And this is my car just checked right now.
Down to a ~30mV imbalance... Getting there... Another 3-4 days of sitting and it should be good. :rolleyes:

Ok so two different peeps. @Muzzman1 just sent me his, you can see the 0.05V between the packs. His car is seriously messed up in terms of range and reported full pack as you can see below. @jebinc sent me his a few days ago and you can see the pack looks great and the min/max are dead on.
Yep, @Muzzman1 looks to have a similar problem as yours. The question is how/why did they get that far out of balance? And will they stay in balance once they have been balanced. (Assuming they ever get in balance.)

It sounds like Tesla is saying that things will be fine once the balancing completes. But my guess is that the pack needs to be replaced.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I'll throw mine in there in case it is helpful to you. Let me know if you need any other screens.

IMG_5813D.jpeg