Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get this diagnostic information?
Go to the Settings page where it shows your car and mileage. Hold down on the words “Model S” until you see a small flash appear on the word. Let go. Type “dynotest” in the box. Then take a pic of the “HV” tab data. To get out of this mode, hit exit at the top, and then repeat the above process.

Go to the Settings page where it shows your car and mileage. Hold down on the words “Model S” until you see a small flash appear on the word. Let go. Type “dynotest” in the box. Then take a pic of the “HV” tab data. To get out of this mode, hit exit at the top, and then repeat the above process.
Does this cover the issue where some were not able to exit Dyno Mode?

Reactions: impastu
I visited spokane wa service center yesterday for a tpms question and got to see my first refresh in person. It was a customers blue plaid with 19” wheels. Sadly it appears to have been towed in, had the tow hook and 12v wires hanging out. Didn’t even have plates yet. The smart part of my brain is telling me to run & hold off delivery due to all these issues, the perhaps dumb side says nah it will all be ok…

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I took delivery of my MS LR a couple of weeks ago. I have no mechanical issues, no rattles (so far); my main issue is the panel alignment and gaps. I am also facing issues with the rubber around the doors; it seems to peel off or bending in some areas. I am scheduled to take it tomorrow to Raleigh SC. They say that it should all be done within the same day. Is your experience that these things get fixed on the first try? I really wish that a $90K car did not have all these issues.
I took it for Service today, and they fixed most of them. The only thing missing is the steering wheel because they need to order the part (wire sticking out). They mentioned that the trunk adjustment now is correct though one side seems to be slightly higher than the other because there is something underneath on the right side 🤷‍♂️. Overall they addressed pretty much everything, and I did not get the typical "within specs." They also mentioned that because it is a brand new model, several bulletins will come out over time, which will most likely require replacing some components.

Not asking about dyno mode (but thank you) -- rather the Tes Lax view that @MarkG got working. ...I wasn't aware that anyone had gotten CANbus integration working on a MS refresh yet. Is there a video somewhere showing what it takes?

Is the light under the front center console always on for anyone else?

Attachments

• 39C21FB1-6AF4-417E-998E-51FE97184373.jpeg
    39C21FB1-6AF4-417E-998E-51FE97184373.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 108
Is the light under the front center console always on for anyone else?
If you push that inner tray back it does turn that light off. If you look closely you can see it turn off just before it goes into its retracted position.

Is it part of the "ambient light"? What if you turn that setting off, does it turn off?
See above!

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Ooh another issue! This black part of the mirror mount is smacking against the paint when I close the driver’s side door, leaving scuffing on the black plastic and dinging the paint. 😂🙄

Attachments

• 33FCFEFD-14A9-4944-8E07-9E3D15521ECB.jpeg
    33FCFEFD-14A9-4944-8E07-9E3D15521ECB.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DFB7749B-EEBF-4F3F-BE6E-16BF563284DB.jpeg
    DFB7749B-EEBF-4F3F-BE6E-16BF563284DB.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 96
@dennis seems to be the only one of several of us here who appears to have had the same issue (can’t say for certainty) but without knowing exactly what was done I’m in no mood to leave my car outside a SC and have it covered in bird poop, risk of damage. Even Tesla hasn’t requested the car yet from me. You’d think they’d want to solve this, but so far the level of customer service I’ve gotten is truly dreadful. None of this comes as a surprise to many here, I know.
With 9 years of ownership experience I have a different attitude about Tesla Service. I trust them to fix whatever problems I encounter. Most times it is on the first try, but not always. I also have found the service people that I have been able to speak with to be quite competent. The biggest issues I see are that the service centers are overwhelmed because of the big spike in deliveries. And that the Tesla model of trying to do everything through the App breaks down because the Service Advisors are overwhelmed with too much work and are unable to provide proactive status information. Which of course traces back to problem #1.

I spoke briefly with Troy Jones, VP of North American Sales, at the Plaid delivery event. He told me that Tesla is acting on a plan to double the number of sales and service locations in the US. They are well aware of the state of customer service in the US.

My battery imbalance issue has reoccurred. Yesterday I arrived home with the battery at around 40%. I plugged in and set the charge to complete by 6:30 AM @90%. At 5:12 AM the app reported charging complete and the battery at 89%. When I got in the car at 7:30 AM the SOC showed 100%. Switching to miles, it showed 312. I texted the Service Adviser who had helped me when the car was at the Santa Clara CA service center. Here is their response.

"I will relay the information provided to the diagnostic technician. During the service it was noted that this was due to firmware but I can follow up on the open session to see if there is a projected ETA of the release for the software"

I then asked for them to ask the service tech what he did to get the battery back in balance and whether there is a charging technique I can employ to do the same thing. I haven't heard a response yet.

My battery imbalance issue has reoccurred. Yesterday I arrived home with the battery at around 40%. I plugged in and set the charge to complete by 6:30 AM @90%. At 5:12 AM the app reported charging complete and the battery at 89%. When I got in the car at 7:30 AM the SOC showed 100%. Switching to miles, it showed 312. I texted the Service Adviser who had helped me when the car was at the Santa Clara CA service center. Here is their response.

"I will relay the information provided to the diagnostic technician. During the service it was noted that this was due to firmware but I can follow up on the open session to see if there is a projected ETA of the release for the software"

I then asked for them to ask the service tech what he did to get the battery back in balance and whether there is a charging technique I can employ to do the same thing. I haven't heard a response yet.
Wow. That is messed up. Please please please keep us posted on this. We need to push Tesla for a resolution of this problem!

Yes! Please keep us posed. So far the 3 of us have the exact same issue. We need to keep each other informed on how to get this resolved.

mine is showing 366 and down from 374
Update on this, I canceled my mobile appt after they messaged me (below). Makes sense, I haven’t had any alerts or any real issues. I think I’ve just been in my head about a lot of it. My max miles went up the next day to 367, so seems very variable.

Attachments

• 589CEA6E-FE4D-4A3D-8493-F54BF2DB0693.jpeg
    589CEA6E-FE4D-4A3D-8493-F54BF2DB0693.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 84
Update on this, I canceled my mobile appt after they messaged me (below). Makes sense, I haven’t had any alerts or any real issues. I think I’ve just been in my head about a lot of it. My max miles went up the next day to 367, so seems very variable.
In my case there's an alert from the BMS.
@VM0412 have you done the "dynotest" mode to see if you have any alerts like mine?

Attachments

• IMG_4394.jpeg
    IMG_4394.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 85

@dennis If it was truly a firmware issue, wouldn't we all have the condition (all, meaning those on that same firmware version and configuration)?