Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. Yep. It’s a Tesla alright. Such a shame they can’t get things right on cars that cost this much. For your windshield issue, is it localized distortion? I had the same issue in two spots right in my driver’s line of sight. Drove me insane, but Tesla service had no qualms with replacing it as they saw it clearly, too.
The distortion in my windshield is along the bottom half all the way across. The service advisor that wrote up my repair request ticket saw it clearly when I showed it to him. I don't have a clue as to why the service technician said there was nothing wrong. All very frustrating!

Question for the veteran tesla owners: Is it normal for these software/firmware updates to be so variable from update to update? Meaning its not as linear as "improvement to improvement" but rather "improvement + setback" which each update?
We’ve had 2 Teslas last 4 years and help my dad with his for the last 2. I always felt the updates were moving forward for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: VM0412 and impastu
@WilliamG But, did the battery stabilize?! Since the last audio firmware update, my regular FM radio randomly rewinds about one second of music and continues. Happens regularly. I thought, at first, it was a “glitch in the matrix,” or that I had a stroke…. Rebooting didn’t fix that either….
These cars are weird. I won’t know about battery stabilization till much later…

Question for the veteran tesla owners: Is it normal for these software/firmware updates to be so variable from update to update? Meaning its not as linear as "improvement to improvement" but rather "improvement + setback" which each update?
We’ve had 2 Teslas last 4 years and help my dad with his for the last 2. I always felt the uodates were moving forward for the most part.
I would agree nearly 90% with @Ohmster with the exception of Autopilot. Since that stack is so complex, an update could easily regress a feature. Which is later fixed. However, this refreshed Model S software is still alpha, maybe pre-beta (is that not alpha?) quality. And that is why it seems like you are going backwards in things. Keep your fingers, toes and anything else you can cross that V11 is on the horizon.

Reactions: VM0412 and impastu
You've had a ton of bad luck with your car.

No kidding. And all my battery balancing I went to great pains to accomplish by doing exactly what Tesla wanted and leaving it charged to 90% over the last 10 days - is out the window after today's drive, as expected. Back to 298 miles projected. This pack is f'ed, and Tesla so far has no interest in resolving this for me. Brick imbalance of 140mV (!!!) at 39% SoC (I'm sure it would be worse at lower SoC), not to mention a full reported pack of 82.5kWh.

1631863142220.jpeg

1631862611002.png

No kidding. And all my battery balancing I went to great pains to accomplish by doing exactly what Tesla wanted and leaving it charged to 90% over the last 10 days - is out the window after today's drive, as expected. Back to 298 miles projected. This pack is f'ed, and Tesla so far has no interest in resolving this for me. Brick imbalance of 140mV (!!!) at 39% SoC (I'm sure it would be worse at lower SoC), not to mention a full reported pack of 82.5kWh.

View attachment 710426

View attachment 710425
Lemon law

My Plaid came with Homelink installed; no extra fee and no operational issues with it. Now, my MYP does not come with it, and there, it was $350 and a SC appointment!
Model S and X have always included Home Link since it's been offered. The first batch of Model 3's also included HL, before Tesla started charging for it as an add-on after delivery for the 3 and Y.
As others have stated, software updates improve the experience for the most part, but sometimes contain bugs (loss of album cover art), just like software updates for your computer. Since the software on the S is so new, it is definitely a work in progress, so new updates are more volatile. Hopefully it will all settle down with v. 11. 🤞

View attachment 710426

View attachment 710425
@WilliamG So sorry to be reading this right now.... 😖😪😤☹️ I was hoping to see a happy report this morning.... What actions do you plan to take next? Surely, Tesla must now recognize that car is a 💩, no? What are they saying now?

Reactions: Phlier
So my car used to charge exactly to the number I would set it to. If I set it to 90% it would end at 90%. Now it charges to 91% or 92%. I immediately unplugged the car when it hit 90% yesterday. (Within a minute.) Showing as 90% on screen. I looked at my app about 5 minutes later and it was showing as 92% even after it was unplugged. Sounds kind of strange that your battery can increase 2% while it is unplugged. This all seemed to happen after the 2021.24 update. I am now on 2021.32.10 and it is still doing this. Anybody else? Thoughts? It bugs me because they say to charge to 90% max.

So my car used to charge exactly to the number I would set it to. If I set it to 90% it would end at 90%. Now it charges to 91% or 92%. I immediately unplugged the car when it hit 90% yesterday. (Within a minute.) Showing as 90% on screen. I looked at my app about 5 minutes later and it was showing as 92% even after it was unplugged. Sounds kind of strange that your battery can increase 2% while it is unplugged. This all seemed to happen after the 2021.24 update. I am now on 2021.32.10 and it is still doing this. Anybody else? Thoughts? It bugs me because they say to charge to 90% max.
This is the one of my issues as well. Since delivery I have yet to have the car stay at at the desired SOC I set. It always creeps up.
Along with that problem, my pack was only acting like a 70kWh pack. Meaning at 100% charge, I only see 259mi with 21" config.
Hopefully you are not seeing that as well, but have a look at your estimated range and calculate out your total available mileage.
If you DO in fact have an issue, there is 3 others like you on here. Me, @WilliamG & Dennis, (not sure his name)
Sadly, at this point there is no resolution. I get my ca back today after a BMS reset, so it might be ok, but I won't know until I cycle the battery a couple times.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
This is the one of my issues as well. Since delivery I have yet to have the car stay at at the desired SOC I set. It always creeps up.
Along with that problem, my pack was only acting like a 70kWh pack. Meaning at 100% charge, I only see 259mi with 21" config.
Hopefully you are not seeing that as well, but have a look at your estimated range and calculate out your total available mileage.
If you DO in fact have an issue, there is 3 others like you on here. Me, @WilliamG & Dennis, (not sure his name)
Sadly, at this point there is no resolution. I get my ca back today after a BMS reset, so it might be ok, but I won't know until I cycle the battery a couple times.
Luckily my car has 376 miles range at full charge. (21" wheels). So that is not an issue for me. Just the overcharge which only came after the 2021.24 update. In addition I was going on a trip and scheduled the car to go to 100% at 10AM, and it finished it at 5 AM and the car was sitting there at 100% for 5 hours until I noticed. Something is off with this software.

The BMS can balance the battery and you see the percentage go up or down. +/- <3% I would not worry about it. The reference @Muzzman1 makes and what @WilliamG are experiencing, are worse than the fluctuate percentage post charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and strider
Luckily my car has 376 miles range at full charge. (21" wheels). So that is not an issue for me. Just the overcharge which only came after the 2021.24 update. In addition I was going on a trip and scheduled the car to go to 100% at 10AM, and it finished it at 5 AM and the car was sitting there at 100% for 5 hours until I noticed. Something is off with this software.
That is way above what is expected. Are you sure that your car's software is set as having 21" wheels? It does not sound right.