Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having similar challenges understanding and getting consistent behavior from the fob, card key and phone key. Currently running 2021.31.103 (waiting for tech to upgrade).

Can someone explain at a high level how the fob, card key and phone are supposed to work? For example, I left my wallet in back of center console with the card key in it. Does that prevent the car from locking (e.g., I got app notice that AC had been on for 4 hours). What are best practices for storing / using the card key?

And then with mobile key vs. fob, I'm having the same problem with the dome lights not turning on (even though my door handles do present). I'm wondering if sometimes the fob / phone conflict, and thought about deleting the phone key to see if it fixes the dome lights.

Finally, has anyone figured out how to save the HVAC settings? For example, I want the passenger AC vents on all the time, but they seem to turn off every time I leave the car. I have linked my driver profile to the phone and fob, and saved settings.

I'm having similar challenges understanding and getting consistent behavior from the fob, card key and phone key. Currently running 2021.31.103 (waiting for tech to upgrade).

Can someone explain at a high level how the fob, card key and phone are supposed to work? For example, I left my wallet in back of center console with the card key in it. Does that prevent the car from locking (e.g., I got app notice that AC had been on for 4 hours). What are best practices for storing / using the card key?

And then with mobile key vs. fob, I'm having the same problem with the dome lights not turning on (even though my door handles do present). I'm wondering if sometimes the fob / phone conflict, and thought about deleting the phone key to see if it fixes the dome lights.

Finally, has anyone figured out how to save the HVAC settings? For example, I want the passenger AC vents on all the time, but they seem to turn off every time I leave the car. I have linked my driver profile to the phone and fob, and saved settings.
I can tell you a little story. When I took delivery of my car, I left all keys in the trunk, key cards in cup holders, and phone in the frunk and it got locked for some reason. Don't ask me why all that stuff was in different places :D I had a friend around with the cell phone and he downloaded the Tesla app and I have opened the car from it :D

I read through many pages of this thread but didn't see and answer. Just picked up my MSLR on Saturday. I noticed that my driver airbag light is constantly on while driving. This doesn't inhibit turning on autopilot like it would in pre-refresh which makes me think it could be software and I am on an old version 2021.31.xxx. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
You may have the Front Safety Restraint System Fault, here’s the thread about it: Front Safety Restraint System Fault Refresh S

Doesn’t seem like Tesla knows exactly what’s wrong. Some people the error goes away with making sure the connectors are connected properly, some had airbag or components swapped out. For mine they basically took the yoke/airbag assembly apart, put it back together, and the error went away. For some the error still comes back after service. So hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones where it actually goes away.
Currently the software does not turn the passenger vents back on if there is no passenger in the seat. The profile does seem to save other AC settings though (last temp, fan speed, cooled seats most of the time).

Here’s more information about this: Refresh Model S Climate Control Question

There is supposedly a workaround where if you turn on the vent that blows up (under the windshield) it keeps the passenger vent on, but I have not tried this.

You may have the Front Safety Restraint System Fault, here’s the thread about it: Front Safety Restraint System Fault Refresh S

Doesn’t seem like Tesla knows exactly what’s wrong. Some people the error goes away with making sure the connectors are connected properly, some had airbag or components swapped out. For mine they basically took the yoke/airbag assembly apart, put it back together, and the error went away. For some the error still comes back after service. So hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones where it actually goes away.

Currently the software does not turn the passenger vents back on if there is no passenger in the seat. The profile does seem to save other AC settings though (last temp, fan speed, cooled seats most of the time).

Here’s more information about this: Refresh Model S Climate Control Question

There is supposedly a workaround where if you turn on the vent that blows up (under the windshield) it keeps the passenger vent on, but I have not tried this.
Loose airbag connector in the yoke, I hazard to guess.

Do we know if the UWB antenna is actually in the refresh to support CarKey?

The FCC disclosures in the manual list the right frequency ranges

1635792049120.png

The FCC report from BACL also shows tests against UWB specs
1635792179514.png

I am on the same version, does a tech have to come out to install the updates? I have owned a number of Teslas and this was never the case? Was this due to folks being stuck on this version?

Reactions: impastu
I am on the same version, does a tech have to come out to install the updates? I have owned a number of Teslas and this was never the case? Was this due to folks being stuck on this version?
I have a new (10/29) delivery and XM radio is not available as audio source despite multiple resets. I've read that new Tesla deliveries have a factory software freeze for some period of time. In order to (hopefully) expedite resolution to access XM, I scheduled a service appointment which will likely result in new software push.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I have a new (10/29) delivery and XM radio is not available as audio source despite multiple resets. I've read that new Tesla deliveries have a factory software freeze for some period of time. In order to (hopefully) expedite resolution to access XM, I scheduled a service appointment which will likely result in new software push.
This is hit or miss. I assume you're on 2021.31.10x (102 or 103), which doesn't have this.

My car was delivered with a pending update to 2021.36.5.1. Normally service can't force a car off factory firmware

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
This is hit or miss. I assume you're on 2021.31.10x (102 or 103), which doesn't have this.

My car was delivered with a pending update to 2021.36.5.1. Normally service can't force a car off factory firmware
I'm on .103 and what's interesting is that release notes state XM is now supported. What do you mean by "which doesn't have this"? I'm just focused on getting XM working, and am not sure about the factory firmware release. I assume Tesla locks this down for some number of weeks, so newly delivered cars "work" as tested in the factory vs. dealing with a perpetual state of cars upgrading right around delivery.

The fob and phone key are both supposed to provide keyless entry-i.e. you walk up to you car, it recognizes your phone of fob, unlocks, the car etc. They both use a technology called Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to communicate between fob/phone and car. The fob is more reliable because it is dedicated to that one purpose. The phone is a bit more complicated are the process that listens for the car is a user app and may get pre-empted by something else the phone decides is more important at the time. An operating system supported function like CarKey in iOS runs as a system process, so, in theory, it is always running and more reliable.

The key card uses passive NFC (near field communications) electronics unlock the car. There is an unpowered tag in the key card and a reader in the b-pillar and in the left phone charger mat. As the name suggestes, the card needs to be in very close proximity to a reader (~ 4 cm) to register.

Hope that helps.

The fob and phone key are both supposed to provide keyless entry-i.e. you walk up to you car, it recognizes your phone of fob, unlocks, the car etc. They both use a technology called Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to communicate between fob/phone and car. The fob is more reliable because it is dedicated to that one purpose. The phone is a bit more complicated are the process that listens for the car is a user app and may get pre-empted by something else the phone decides is more important at the time. An operating system supported function like CarKey in iOS runs as a system process, so, in theory, it is always running and more reliable.

The key card uses passive NFC (near field communications) electronics unlock the car. There is an unpowered tag in the key card and a reader in the b-pillar and in the left phone charger mat. As the name suggestes, the card needs to be in very close proximity to a reader (~ 4 cm) to register.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. So leaving card key in rear portion of console (2 feet from reader) should not be a problem (i.e., car will lock and shut down). I'm going to disable the phone key for awhile, and see if dome lights work properly with fob.

Thank you. So leaving card key in rear portion of console (2 feet from reader) should not be a problem (i.e., car will lock and shut down). I'm going to disable the phone key for awhile, and see if dome lights work properly with fob.
It shouldn't. With no fob of phone key nearby, the the car should stay locked, even wiht a key card in the console like you say. Bear in my, the theoretical range for BLE is 100m, so put the fob on the other side of the house for testing purposes. When we first got our X, we had to relocate where we hung out keys inside the house because the fob was originally close enough that it kept waking up the car.

One other thing on the dome lights--mine stopped working at some point too--cycling them to off then back to auto under settings fixed it.

It shouldn't. With no fob of phone key nearby, the the car should stay locked, even wiht a key card in the console like you say. Bear in my, the theoretical range for BLE is 100m, so put the fob on the other side of the house for testing purposes. When we first got our X, we had to relocate where we hung out keys inside the house because the fob was originally close enough that it kept waking up the car.

One other thing on the dome lights--mine stopped working at some point too--cycling them to off then back to auto under settings fixed it.
I'll try that (cycling the dome lights). Thanks!