Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 2022.4.5. Got some text messages today. The car properly notified me, and was able to read them. I dictated response texts, but the car consistently failed to send them, popping up a "Delivery Failed" (or similar) alert. (And with no record of the responses on the phone.) Tried to reply multiple times, to various text messages all day. Phone = latest iPhone running latest iOS software. This is certainly a new bug. Whee.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey
Do you have the vibration? If so, this article is for you! Be sure to use the “tips” link at the end of the article to register your vibration and concern!

Reactions: WilliamG
Do you have the vibration? If so, this article is for you! Be sure to use the “tips” link at the end of the article to register your vibration and concern!

Haven’t noticed it all that much. It’s definitely there but not enough to have the front end torn up over. At least for me, will see if it gets worse over time only have 1500 miles on the car.

Reactions: jebinc
I just got my LR delivered today. Everything else is great, no vibration, shaking, or rattling noises. Other than a few trim and finish issues, I did notice two things though:

1) when I press the gas pedal hard, there's this high pitched sound, almost like a BEEEEEEP, that lasts for 1 second or 2. I have a friend who has two M3s in the car and he mentioned his have this sound too. Really? That's normal?

2) This is by far the biggest issue I have w/ my S right now. The yoke buzzes. Nonstop. Doesn't matter if it's parked or in drive. It seems louder on the left side. Once you heard it you can not unhear it. I guess the majority of ppl don't have this issue? A quick search shows quite a few ppl had this issue as well - did anyone ever get this issue successfully resolved?

I just got my LR delivered today. Everything else is great, no vibration, shaking, or rattling noises. Other than a few trim and finish issues, I did notice two things though:

1) when I press the gas pedal hard, there's this high pitched sound, almost like a BEEEEEEP, that lasts for 1 second or 2. I have a friend who has two M3s in the car and he mentioned his have this sound too. Really? That's normal?

2) This is by far the biggest issue I have w/ my S right now. The yoke buzzes. Nonstop. Doesn't matter if it's parked or in drive. It seems louder on the left side. Once you heard it you can not unhear it. I guess the majority of ppl don't have this issue? A quick search shows quite a few ppl had this issue as well - did anyone ever get this issue successfully resolved?
Congrats on the new car! I think everyone has the yoke buzz. Whether they notice it or not is another question.

Here’s the road noise I’ve had to deal with for the last 5 months. It’s gotten deafening and Tesla doesn’t care. Not that I’m surprised at this point. Had my wife record it today while I was driving. Turn your volume up…

I hear it even with music on loud. 😞

Try turning off ANC. I have experienced similar sound on freeways and turning it off got rid of the noise.

Try turning off ANC. I have experienced similar sound on freeways and turning it off got rid of the noise.
Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed your suggestion is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time ARNR is broken, I guess.

I don't have issue #1, but we all have issue #2.

It won't buzz first thing in the morning. It only starts after the first button press. It's a software bug.

Here’s the road noise I’ve had to deal with for the last 5 months. It’s gotten deafening and Tesla doesn’t care. Not that I’m surprised at this point. Had my wife record it today while I was driving. Turn your volume up…

I hear it even with music on loud. 😞

It sounds to me like the rear hatch is vibrating up and down slightly. This can get worse if a window is open. You get the booming pressure noise from such a large area pumping the air. There are two black plastic adjusters on the left/right of the hatch. These set how far the hatch closes. If there is too much slack, the hatch vibrates causing the noise. I'm surprised your local techs are not aware of this. It happens when the adjusters are not set quite right at the factory. Not all that frequent, but occasionally people get this since the start of production. It is easy to fix. Once adjusted it shouldn't return. It might also indicate a damaged hatch seal, but I've never heard of this as a real issue - just a theory.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey
Indeed I noticed that as well this morning. Yes, after the first turn signal press, the buzzed returned.
Yeah, that's what leads me to think it's bad programming. The haptic motor is silent when it first starts, but after it has to apply the first vibration from a button push, someone didn't turn off the pulse width modulation for the haptic feedback motor after the vibration is over. Instead, they left it only very slightly. Enough to make a continuous bug. It's a really basic software error that any college kid should know to avoid. But, somehow they haven't fixed it in over 6 months?

It sounds to me like the rear hatch is vibrating up and down slightly. This can get worse if a window is open. You get the booming pressure noise from such a large area pumping the air. There are two black plastic adjusters on the left/right of the hatch. These set how far the hatch closes. If there is too much slack, the hatch vibrates causing the noise. I'm surprised your local techs are not aware of this. It happens when the adjusters are not set quite right at the factory. Not all that frequent, but occasionally people get this since the start of production. It is easy to fix. Once adjusted it shouldn't return. It might also indicate a damaged hatch seal, but I've never heard of this as a real issue - just a theory.
Just a couple of posts above. It was Active Road Noise Reduction software enabled causing this. Not anything else.

X-post

If your refreshed MS/Plaid has this vibration issue (at speed or under “slight acceleration”) around 38-50 mph, DriveTesla would like to hear from you on [email protected]

They are collecting data to see how much concern in the community exists, re this matter. If extensive, I suspect we will see more articles and others picking up the story. Time to be heard if you have a vibrating Plaid or refreshed MS!

Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed your suggestion is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time ARNR is broken, I guess.

WAG: When you roll the windows down, the speakers pick up even more noise and turn up the ARNR cancellation frequency.

Extremely disappointing. This was one of the top 3 features I was looking forward to the most and I reckon I'd throw it on the pile of automatic *sugar* that will never work correctly, years down the line. Don't understand why Tesla can be so bad at stuff like this. Don't advertise it until it ****ing works.