Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my car in on March 1st to try and address these issues:
  • Front half shaft vibrations
  • Passenger front door seal to be replaced because it is difficult to shut the passenger door, much harder than the other three doors.
  • The passenger rear door handle does not present far enough out to allow the puddle light to work.
  • Yoke buzzes from the left side continuously after any button is pushed when the car is started.
  • Center console cubby light turns off when the cubby lid is opened and turns on when the lid is closed.
  • Plastic trim piece in the right rear passenger area is not attached.
  • Airbag recall.
  • Recall: Retrofit Hydraulic Control Unit Wake-Up Wire
  • Driver’s side mirror glass vibrates when driving. Passenger side mirror is fine.
  • The speakers in the car pop or click when the car drives slowly over bumps. Maybe there is a loose wire at the audio amplifier?
  • UI_a020 error – Steering Assist Reduced.

They worked on the car for three days:
  • The half shafts were replaced and that reduced the vibrations, but did not eliminate them. They are still present.
  • The invoice says they replaced the passenger front door seal, but the seal was not replaced. It still has the same wear marks as the previous seal. The passenger door is still difficult to close.
  • Looking at it more closely, the issue is the window angle. It is angled inwards too much, causing it to make too much contact with the door seal, making it hard to close. Is there any adjustment for the window angle? If this was a tire, I’d call it the window camber angle.
  • They said the yoke wasn’t making noise and that this was normal. This is nonsense.
  • They did replace the passenger rear door handle and adjusted it so that the puddle light works correctly! The handle is flush when recessed and presents correctly now.
  • They tried to fix the center console cubby light problem, but failed to get it to work correctly.
  • They did not attach the passenger rear trim piece I asked about.
  • They did not perform the airbag recall.
  • They did install the HCU wake-up wire.
  • They said the driver’s side mirror glass vibrating was normal and did nothing.
  • They didn’t do anything about the speaker popping noise.
  • They didn’t do anything about the power steering failure.

So, they successfully fixed 2 out of 11 items. Not a great performance. We have heard that engineering is working on a fix for the vibration issue, maybe there will be something in the next month or two.

I scheduled another service to try and fix the passenger door. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment screw for the window angle? There was a screw like that on my Roadster, but I don't know if the S has it.

• Passenger front door seal to be replaced because it is difficult to shut the passenger door, much harder than the other three doors.
  • The passenger rear door handle does not present far enough out to allow the puddle light to work.
  • Yoke buzzes from the left side continuously after any button is pushed when the car is started.
  • Center console cubby light turns off when the cubby lid is opened and turns on when the lid is closed.
  • Airbag recall.
  • Driver’s side mirror glass vibrates when driving. Passenger side mirror is fine.
  • The speakers in the car pop or click when the car drives slowly over bumps. Maybe there is a loose wire at the audio amplifier?

• The half shafts were replaced and that reduced the vibrations, but did not eliminate them. They are still present.
  • The invoice says they replaced the passenger front door seal, but the seal was not replaced. It still has the same wear marks as the previous seal. The passenger door is still difficult to close.
  • Looking at it more closely, the issue is the window angle. It is angled inwards too much, causing it to make too much contact with the door seal, making it hard to close. Is there any adjustment for the window angle? If this was a tire, I’d call it the window camber angle.
  • They said the yoke wasn’t making noise and that this was normal. This is nonsense.
  • They did replace the passenger rear door handle and adjusted it so that the puddle light works correctly! The handle is flush when recessed and presents correctly now.
  • They tried to fix the center console cubby light problem, but failed to get it to work correctly.
  • They said the driver’s side mirror glass vibrating was normal and did nothing.

So, they successfully fixed 2 out of 11 items. Not a great performance. We have heard that engineering is working on a fix for the vibration issue, maybe there will be something in the next month or two.

I scheduled another service to try and fix the passenger door. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment screw for the window angle? There was a screw like that on my Roadster, but I don't know if the S has it.
What's the build date of your car?

Is that with the windows open or closed?

If that's windows closed, I think your system is broken. Get them to check and replace your microphones.
Windows closed. It’s worse with the windows open, and is sound being played through the speakers. I’m sure it’s broken, like everything with my particular car.

I’m having the whole car replaced, so I can’t be bothered to bring any more issues up, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Windows closed. It’s worse with the windows open, and is sound being played through the speakers. I’m sure it’s broken, like everything with my particular car.

I’m having the whole car replaced, so I can’t be bothered to bring any more issues up, lol.
I'm glad you are getting a new car! Good to hear the buyback is going through. I'm jealous, you'll get the new good headlights. 😂

Looking at it more closely, the issue is the window angle. It is angled inwards too much, causing it to make too much contact with the door seal, making it hard to close. Is there any adjustment for the window angle? If this was a tire, I’d call it the window camber angle.

I was going to reply to your item about saying the seal needed replaced saying it wouldn't help... Yes, there is adjustment. In fact it was one of the things Munro hates about the door design on the refresh Model S.

You can see about it in this video:

It is obvious that they had, or maybe still have, the jig for adjusting the front passenger window setup wrong. I hope they have corrected that jig, or re-trained the person that was building those doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and impastu
I was going to reply to your item about saying the seal needed replaced saying it wouldn't help... Yes, there is adjustment. In fact it was one of the things Munro hates about the door design on the refresh Model S.

You can see about it in this video:

It is obvious that they had, or maybe still have, the jig for adjusting the front passenger window setup wrong. I hope they have corrected that jig, or re-trained the person that was building those doors.
Do you know where the adjustment is? On the roadster there were two screws on the bottom of the door to turn that adjusted the angles of the glass. It was pretty easy to adjust and something you needed to do when you switched between the soft top and the hard top.

I might just adjust the damn thing myself, if it is easy. I'm hoping mobile service can do it.

Do you know where the adjustment is? On the roadster there were two screws on the bottom of the door to turn that adjusted the angles of the glass. It was pretty easy to adjust and something you needed to do when you switched between the soft top and the hard top.

I might just adjust the damn thing myself, if it is easy. I'm hoping mobile service can do it.
Did you watch the video? (I updated the link to start at about the correct time.)

It shows where the adjustments are. (And yes, there are adjustments on the bottom of the door, though you may have to remove the door card to get to them.)

Reactions: impastu
was leaving for a road trip this morning, charged to 100% and woke up to all these codes being thrown. Limped my car to the service center, they’re saying it’s probably a total battery replacement after 1200 miles. At least they gave me a rickety model 3 loaner instead of some Uber credits. Definitely not boding well for the future of ownership on this thing.
AUCH! I got the very same list of messages about 1 month after delivery (2800 miles)...it turned out to be the big battery. Had to wait 3 weeks for SC to replace it, but since they replaced it it's been smooth sails. Get this addressed with SC asap.

Ordered today Mar 5th. Quoted 4-8wks got VIN within 10min and delivery pickup on Mar 8th

Vin: 4727xx
Pickup: Fremont
  • Model S Plaid
  • Midnight Silver Metallic
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
Seems like this was a rejected delivery? Could it really be a refreshed car ready that soon?

Ordered today Mar 5th. Quoted 4-8wks got VIN within 10min and delivery pickup on Mar 8th

• Model S Plaid
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
Seems like this was a rejected delivery? Could it really be a refreshed car ready that soon?
Wow that’s quick. Crazy. That looks like a new refresh 2.0 to me…

• Model S Plaid
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
The have been a few Plaids in inventory around the country. The demand isn't as great as it used to be. Currently showing 27 in the US on https://ev-tsla.com/

• Model S Plaid
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • Yoke Steering
  • Autopilot
Maybe an inventory car? Make sure it has the new headlights and taillights. Otherwise, reject. The previous headlights stink.

• Airbag recall.

they adjusted the window in front passenger door and it closes about 80 better than at delivery.