Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audio... For 22 speakers this 2023 Model S Plaid should sound so much better. My former (2019 M3p) sounded really good for what it was.

Since I've had a loaner Model S longer than I've owned the Plaid (SAD!) I can tell you the 2015-2019 sounds WAY better.. (Not an Audiophile) but there is a clear loudness difference.

I used the fader to check and all four corners work, but when it's on rear only it's no where near what I would expect volume wise.
Often those issues happen when equalizer settings are not optimal. Reducing 'loudness'-effectively making sound more natural, with less mid-bass bias, helps although you'll end out needing trifle more volume to compensate. When I drive a rental, which I do fairly often, I almost always need to adjust sound to reduce loudness. FWIW, heavy metal, hip hop, etc invariably have been used with heavy bass bias, loudness controls all at max and volume too.
Bass carries, so that is what one often hears from other cars.

If you listen to audiophile recordings, classical music, jazz, chansonnier, etc. The system will sound bad if loudness is accentuated. Balance is another issue, and one I've had to play with quite a bit in my Plaid. Once going through the effort I find it to be surprisingly good. OTOH, I'm used to needing to alter settings quite a lot to eliminate the loudness bias, even when listening to older rock recordings.

YMMV for sure!

The pressure nag seems to be gone with FSD version 11.3.6 (2022.45.15). I don't have to keep my hands on the yoke at all. I do still have at keep my eyes on the road. They seem to only be relying on the camera now.
FSDb is not "hands free", this is:
Screenshot_20230508_070546_Chrome.jpg

And not have FSD? No waaay. I just ordered a second Model X and it was without a flinch that I added FSD.

It drives me everywhere. It’s the best thing since the invention of the automobile.
Did you buy it or rent it? It seems like a total waste to buy it unless you keep it well over 6 years. If anything happens to the car, you don't get jack for it back on insurance either compared to the purchase price. That is reflected on the resale value of the car with and without FSD.

If anyone actually wanted FSD, I'd suggest if they had the money burning a hole in their pocket to invest the 15k, get a decent ROI, subscribe to FSD instead and you'd come out way ahead. Not to mention you wouldn't have bought one of the few things that depreciates faster than a 2021/2022 Plaid.

If you get even 6% ROI on your 15k, you could probably fund a subscription for almost 8 years at its current rate of $199/mo. Of course they could raise the rate but currently it makes no sense to prepay for Elon's snake oil even if you are one of the apparent corner cases where it might actually be worth something to you.

Did you buy it or rent it? It seems like a total waste to buy it unless you keep it well over 6 years. If anything happens to the car, you don't get jack for it back on insurance either compared to the purchase price. That is reflected on the resale value of the car with and without FSD.

If anyone actually wanted FSD, I'd suggest if they had the money burning a hole in their pocket to invest the 15k, get a decent ROI, subscribe to FSD instead and you'd come out way ahead. Not to mention you wouldn't have bought one of the few things that depreciates faster than a 2021/2022 Plaid.

If you get even 6% ROI on your 15k, you could probably fund a subscription for almost 8 years at its current rate of $199/mo. Of course they could raise the rate but currently it makes no sense to prepay for Elon's snake oil even if you are one of the apparent corner cases where it might actually be worth something to you.

When I bought FSD at $10k, the difference between Model S/X with and without FSD was ~$8k at resale. I ran an analysis of all the listings on ev-cpo.com and other places. It was only a few thousand difference on the 3/Y. So, it might make sense on the S/X, but definitely not on the 3/Y. I figured ~$2k over four years wasn't bad.

And actually having a '23 Model S loaner with EAP right now, I can say FSD is currently much better than AP / EAP. It's not going to handle local driving as originally described, but it is much better on the highway and smaller roads than AP/ EAP. Maybe that will change if they bring the merged stack to AP / EAP, though. Then they might be identical.

When I bought FSD at $10k, the difference between Model S/X with and without FSD was ~$8k at resale. I ran an analysis of all the listings on ev-cpo.com and other places. It was only a few thousand difference on the 3/Y. So, it might make sense on the S/X, but definitely not on the 3/Y. I figured ~$2k over four years wasn't bad.

And actually having a '23 Model S loaner with EAP right now, I can say FSD is currently much better than AP / EAP. It's not going to handle local driving as originally described, but it is much better on the highway and smaller roads than AP/ EAP. Maybe that will change if they bring the merged stack to AP / EAP, though. Then they might be identical.
I honestly can't see much difference in the used ones that I shopped over the last month, with or without FSD. Renting it is still likely the better way to go unless you are going to keep it for a LONG time. Now if Tesla would let me transfer FSD from one car to another, I'd be much more inclined to buy it.

Reactions: Propofoln