Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 376 days, the day finally arrived! I picked up my Model S and couldn’t have been happier with the experience of delivery day and my car. Some initial thoughts and impressions for those who are waiting for their big day:
  • Communication - the closer you get to delivery day, the more frequent the communications. Within the 2 weeks of delivery, I received 5 text messages and four emails and then within the last two days, I received two calls, one an automated message confirming delivery date/time and the second call from a delivery coordinator who was calling to confirm personal information before printing out the paperwork I needed to sign at the service center. Looking back on the year-long wait, my EDD changed over nine times and I only knew that the changes had happened by looking at my account each Monday morning. Sometimes it was very frustrating because date ranges would change to weeks where I was going to be out of town or even out of the country. I placed my order online and never used a sales advisor, so I never attempted to talk to someone live. This forum was a HUGE help to get a sanity check on what was going on and what to anticipate. I definitely didn’t feel the need to call anyone… I like the low touch process, and in the environment of supply chain delays, there’s no way Tesla could efficiently have people at scale fielding calls to answer status questions, but I do think that when you place the order, Tesla could send customers an automated email that explains what to expect while waiting (what kind of communications and frequency of communications to expect, etc). I think an automated email to let you know when your EDD has changed with some pithy words of encouragement would go a long way assuaging anxiety of customers.
  • Delivery Process - after you get your VIN, the app starts to become useful with its workflow of loading information. One of those tasks is loading proof of insurance with a photo of insurance card. I didn’t necessarily understand how the process would work with my insurance company that I was going to be asking them to send me an insurance card ahead of actually having the car in my possession or paying for coverage before the car arrived, so when I called my agent, I started to explain the situation and they were very familiar with the Tesla process. We set the effective date as the delivery date and they were happy to email me a digital card that I could load. They were fully experienced with delivery delays happening and assured me that if the date got pushed, they’d be happy to change my effective date if needed. Payment was a little buggy. I didn’t finance my car, so I can’t speak to that process. The app uses an external service integrated in the app that allows you to link to a bank account to facilitate the payment. My first three attempts just spun and then errored out. After each attempt, I logged into the bank account I was using to make sure it hadn’t withdrawn the money before I tried again. On my fourth attempt, it finally succeeded. For the delivery appointment, the app integrates back to the Tesla website. I was presented with only three days to choose from, each day expands with all of the time slots available. Once you select a day and time and confirm, it then populates your app as well as a confirmation email. On delivery day, once I arrived and walked in the center, I was approached and asked if I was there to pick up a car. I told them my name and they quickly confirmed it in the system and the person who was assigned to coordinate my delivery was waiting for me. He was extremely friendly and had my paper work printed and ready. I pulled my license out to verify I was me, and he smiled and said he didn’t need it, he showed me a print out of my license in his folder (I forgot that I had to load a pic of my license when I ordered the car). He explained the process that he’d have me go out and inspect the car before accepting delivery on the app and signing the paperwork. He had the air conditioning already turned on and popped the trunk so that I knew which car was mine. Once I was good with the car, I accepted delivery on the app and went back inside and signed three documents. We then went back outside and he walked me through setting up my phone and my key cards and then customizing my settings in my profile. Once I was good, we shook hands and I was off. The process took all of 25 minutes. I can’t ever remember getting out of a car dealership in under 3.5 hours when purchasing a car… what an awesome experience!
  • Car quality - having 1+ years to wait on my car, I saw way too many YouTube videos and posts on how to inspect the car… I went over it with an eagle eye and was anticipating that I’d find something, but to my surprise, the car was perfect… no panel gaps, no trim issues, no paint issues… no interior issues, no rattles, nothing. Never had nothing been so awesome!
  • Included with the car - I’ve seen a lot of posts around charger and fobs… so I was curious to see what would be included. Although I had a home charger installed back in April, I was hoping that the mobile charger would be included (and it was based on my order date)… not sure how often I’ll use it, but on road trips where we spend the night at places like a mountain cabin or a beach home miles away from a super charger, it’s comforting to know I have ability to plug in. It didn’t come with a 1540 adapter - so I’m going to purchase one (my childhood friend lives in the boondocks and has a dryer outlet in this garage that I’ll use when we go to visit). Missing from the car were fobs… not that I’d ever use it for personal use, but I’m not sure how I feel giving a valet one of my cards to keep up with when we go to a restaurant… but not a deal breaker. Tires - Yes… summer tires are still on delivered cars with 20 days left in summer. I live in Atlanta and have never owned a car where I needed multiple sets of tires like is needed in the northeast, so I was hoping the cars being delivered in September would have come with all season tires. Later into November, I’ll probably get a set of all-seasons. I’ll just need to decide if I get extra wheels to easily put the summer tires back on when it warms up.
  • First Drive impressions - (AP) I purchased enhanced auto pilot, but haven’t used it yet… AP is disabled for the first 25 miles so the cameras can calibrate… I’m past 25 miles now, so I’ll try it out soon. (Yoke) When the refresh came out, I remember all the bad reviews from Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. and YouTube videos slamming the yoke… I know that opinions are like noses (everyone had one), but I LOVE it. It’s extremely easy to use and very comfortable with both hands. (Audio/Sound) My 16 year old daughter went with me to pick up the car and announced that she was going to put together a playlist for the inaugural drive home. I’m blessed because she is a huge classic rock fan. The first song on her list in honor of the car being black was Back in Black from AC/DC… let’s just say that the speakers in this car are symphonic bliss. We stopped along the way home to pick up a couple of sodas (ironically at a QuikTrip nonetheless) there was a car near us that was blasting their stereo and we couldn’t hear it until we opened the doors to the car. I actually shut the car door and opened it a couple of times marveling at the noise reduction. (Power/Acceleration) I have a traffic signal about 1/2 mile from the house. About 1500 ft past the signal, the road goes from 4 lane to 2 lane and merges from right lane into left lane. Everyone who drives locally in the area knows this and just lines up in the left lane at the light, but every now and then, you get the jerk who needs to drive up to the light in the right lane and gun it to get in front of everyone. I was sitting at the light (in the front) when a new corvette comes around everyone on the right side next to me. I started laughing and my daughter asked me why I was laughing so hard. I said, “wait for it…” The light turned green and I waited for him to move first and then I pounced and smoked the poor guy. It has to be the greatest cheap thrill I’ve had in years and it was on the first drive home… I didn’t buy the car to hot rod around, so I’ll need to keep this in mind!
  • Next up - I’m going to enjoy driving around this holiday weekend and then on Tuesday it’s going in for Full XPEL PPF, ceramic and window tints at AP3 here in Atlanta. I know there’s a lot of debate on this topic, but I kept my last two cars 14 and 12 years… so my plan is to have this car no less than 10 and I’m one of those kinds of people who have anxiety on dings, chips and swirls… the time eliminated from me obsessing on a paint job over 10 years will be worth the cost. I’ll plan to share my experiences once I get it back.
Best wishes to everyone patiently waiting for their car. Please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll be happy to share any other experiences that might help!
Very nice review! Thank you 🙏

TOOK DELIVERY TODAY! 🥳 @TerryWalls already gave an outstanding overview so I won't belabor the point. But the delivery day experience was smooth. I'm ecstatic, giddy, and therefore scatterbrained at the moment, but here's what comes to mind:

-traded in a 2011 Toyota Rav4, no issues there
-before we could inspect anything, the advisor said he'd already done a once-over and found a paint issue on the hood, and that they'll repaint the whole hood whenever I bring it back for a service appointment
-did not come with a mobile connector, but I received a redemption code on 8/31 so it's on the way
-tilt screen was present, horn feature in the middle of the yoke was NOT present
-went through with a checklist the best we could. Fortunately didn't find any issues other than a tiny paint chip that the advisor took back and cleaned up right away
-the yoke took me about 8 seconds to get used to (basically the first turn out of the dealership caught me off guard, then it was awesome after that)
-sound system is crisp!
-obviously took her for a spin, did attract some bugs on the front bumper; need to figure out PPF/ceramic coating (is this a no-brainer?)

Folks, she is FAST, and she is FUN. Smooth, quiet, and an all around beauty. Shoutout to everyone on here for helping each other through this long emotional rollercoaster. Excited to be joined by more S's on the road; the wait will be worth it!

Tesla.png

They're mocking me 😡..

RN1158 OD: 10/10/21

EDD <did not keep track prior to June 22>
06/22 - 07/13,
07/15 - 08/19,
07/23 - 08/27,
09/05 - 10/17,
08/18 - 09/22,
08/14 - 09/04,
08/18 - 09/04,
08/22 - 09/11,
08/27 - 09/17
08/31 - 09/18

Now: December 2022

14+ months?? What the hell Tesla?

I'll probably always hate this car no matter how cool it is.

TOOK DELIVERY TODAY! 🥳 @TerryWalls already gave an outstanding overview so I won't belabor the point. But the delivery day experience was smooth. I'm ecstatic, giddy, and therefore scatterbrained at the moment, but here's what comes to mind:

-traded in a 2011 Toyota Rav4, no issues there
-before we could inspect anything, the advisor said he'd already done a once-over and found a paint issue on the hood, and that they'll repaint the whole hood whenever I bring it back for a service appointment
-did not come with a mobile connector, but I received a redemption code on 8/31 so it's on the way
-tilt screen was present, horn feature in the middle of the yoke was NOT present
-went through with a checklist the best we could. Fortunately didn't find any issues other than a tiny paint chip that the advisor took back and cleaned up right away
-the yoke took me about 8 seconds to get used to (basically the first turn out of the dealership caught me off guard, then it was awesome after that)
-sound system is crisp!
-obviously took her for a spin, did attract some bugs on the front bumper; need to figure out PPF/ceramic coating (is this a no-brainer?)

Folks, she is FAST, and she is FUN. Smooth, quiet, and an all around beauty. Shoutout to everyone on here for helping each other through this long emotional rollercoaster. Excited to be joined by more S's on the road; the wait will be worth it!

View attachment 849318
Awesome! The White with chrome delete looks really sharp. Congrats!

Reactions: gville90
RN1175xx - for some reason I was thinking I’d get an EDD change this weekend…. But alas, back to the burgers.
Hang in there Dan. My son is a senior at Ringling College of Art & Design and we drive down to Sarasota (what an awesome town) to see him from time to time. If you ever see a back model S with GA plates, chances are good it might be me.

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
They're mocking me 😡..

06/22 - 07/13,
07/15 - 08/19,
07/23 - 08/27,
09/05 - 10/17,
08/18 - 09/22,
08/14 - 09/04,
08/18 - 09/04,
08/22 - 09/11,
08/27 - 09/17
08/31 - 09/18

You'll love it, unless it has damage and defects on delivery, then.....

Tried going back a bunch of pages, but can't find it.

- What comes with the car now in terms of cabling/charging adapters? I received a $200 credit toward charging stuff on the Tesla website and not sure what I need to buy. I'm going to have a 14-50 plug in the garage. I ordered October 2021.
- Anyone know if an NF490xxxxx will have the new taillights/swivel screen?

Thanks!

- What comes with the car now in terms of cabling/charging adapters? I received a $200 credit toward charging stuff on the Tesla website and not sure what I need to buy. I'm going to have a 14-50 plug in the garage. I ordered October 2021.
- Anyone know if an NF490xxxxx will have the new taillights/swivel screen?

Thanks!
You will need to buy a 14-50 adapter, you should get a MC and 5-15 adapter, as well all all the latest features, tilting screen, charge port, lights, etc

Reactions: shamoo

You got the credit because no charging "stuff", other than the J1772 adapter, will come with your vehicle. You either need to buy the mobile connector, which the credit 100% covers, or the wall connector. which the credit covers half of the cost for. (The mobile connector will come with both a 5-15 and a 14-50 adapter.)

You will need to buy a 14-50 adapter, you should get a MC and 5-15 adapter,
No, their car will not come with the mobile connector or the 5-15 adapter. (Which is why they gave him the credit to get one from the online store.)

You got the credit because no charging "stuff", other than the J1772 adapter, will come with your vehicle. You either need to buy the mobile connector, which the credit 100% covers, or the wall connector. which the credit covers half of the cost for. (The mobile connector will come with both a 5-15 and a 14-50 adapter.)

Thanks. Getting ready to order it now, but I saw this note on the page:

"Note: Vehicle orders placed after April 28, 2022 will not include a Mobile Connector with delivery." Since I ordered 10/2021 it would sound like I should get it, right?

Thanks. Getting ready to order it now, but I saw this note on the page:

"Note: Vehicle orders placed after April 28, 2022 will not include a Mobile Connector with delivery." Since I ordered 10/2021 it would sound like I should get it, right?
You will, by using the credit they gave you. It will not be in the car at delivery.

There is a very small chance that one will be in the car. What did the email with the credit in it say?

You will, by using the credit they gave you. It will not be in the car at delivery.

There is a very small chance that one will be in the car. What did the email with the credit in it say?

Thanks. I ordered just now anyway. Worst case, it is a spare and I don't really need anything else on the site at this time.

Here's what the email said, "Prepare for delivery and consider a charging solution for your Model S. You may use the Tesla Shop code below to put $200 towards a Tesla Wall Connector, our quickest, most convenient way to charge at home or apply the Shop Code to fully cover the purchase of a Mobile Connector.

Your car comes standard with the J1772 adapter, which can be used at any third-party charging station."

They're mocking me 😡..

06/22 - 07/13,
07/15 - 08/19,
07/23 - 08/27,
09/05 - 10/17,
08/18 - 09/22,
08/14 - 09/04,
08/18 - 09/04,
08/22 - 09/11,
08/27 - 09/17
08/31 - 09/18

No you won’t. Once behind the wheel all memory of the pain and suffering is wiped away by the ear to ear grin the first time you punch the accelerator!

Small update on my end.

10/22/21 - Ordered
8/31/22 - Assigned VIN (via text, tried the VIN search on the web source the day before and nothing)
9/1 - Scheduled delivery for 9/13 (had options from 9/12 to 9/16). Was to be a touchless home delivery.
9/7 - Called Tesla support, asked to switch to pickup at service center. Support changed date to Sunday, 9/11
9/10 - Sold BMW X5M to Carmax, on the way there Tesla called and said transport delayed until after hours of 9/12, rescheduled to 9/13

So pickup scheduled in Irvine at 10am tomorrow, 9/13.

Turned out not too bad since I was very sick on 9/11. Just have to figure out logistics since my wife will be working and can't take me there.

Hopefully will have my car tomorrow!

Last edited:

View attachment 849318
I have owned MANY a car/SUV over the past, 25 years. And sold them all privately/myself. NONE of them had PPF on them (wasnt even a thing for the majority of those cars lives). I wonder what has recently changed that mandates people thinking they MUST have PPF? Bugs still get on front bumpers with or without PPF, CEramic, etc. I usually just...wash them off.