Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned MANY a car/SUV over the past, 25 years. And sold them all privately/myself. NONE of them had PPF on them (wasnt even a thing for the majority of those cars lives). I wonder what has recently changed that mandates people thinking they MUST have PPF? Bugs still get on front bumpers with or without PPF, CEramic, etc. I usually just...wash them off.
I've owned about 10 cars in 49 years. 1st was a 1970 square back. I installed a junk yard front axle in the parking lot at college. Cost me $300 in total. All my other cars like other Squarebacks, Country Squire station wagon. Subaru Brat, El Camino, Ranchero, Corvettes and Harleys also needed love. My 2022 MSLR is the first brand new car. I don't know why I thought it needed some PPF love, but I did this myself too. Maybe I just had to modify it. I'm not into fancy wheels so PPF was it. It has done its job. Not for bugs, but for rock chips in front of rear wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The quality of Tesla paint....
This was the first car for me where I decided to do PPF. I kept my last 2 cars 14 and 12 years each and I plan to keep this car at least 10 years. I’m one of those people who agonize over every scratch, chip, and ding on a car. While waiting the 13 months for my Model S, I went back and forth on if I would get it. I had a couple of experiences/anecdotes that convinced me to do it and another experience that confirmed it was a great decision.

Anecdote 1: a guy who works for me has a white Model 3. I was in the Bay Area back in the spring to visit my team that works there and he offered to pick me up every day from the hotel. He’s mid way through a 3 year lease and the front of his car and his hood has more pit marks than I did as a teen suffering from acne. It didn’t make sense for him to pay for PPF because of it being a lease, but it helped me understand the kind of damage you can get in 18 months.

Anecdote 2: I was at a local restaurant and happened to park near a blue 2021 Model S Plaid. I made a point to walk over and ask the owner how he liked his car (mentioned to him that I was waiting for my 2022 MSLR). He loved it but told me he had one regret… he put PPF on the front but didn’t get it applied to the full hood or any other body parts. He then pointed out the rock chips on his hood that hit above the PPF line and then he walked me to the passenger side of the car and showed me a nice long scratch that he had on the rear fender where he got too close to the side of his garage backing out. He then showed me the fenders on the rear where Tesla had put pieces of PPF for rocks slinging back, but the strips didn’t go high enough to protect from rocks. His counsel to me was, that he regretted not getting more PPF.

Anecdote 3: I bit the bullet and decided to make a reservation for a PPF shop in Atlanta that installs XPEL PPF. I decided to do full. I only had 3 days to drive the car before it was scheduled to go in… As I was driving over that morning, I was debating whether I was being frivolous. I get there and check in. One of the shop guys walks out with me to inspect the car and I hadn’t noticed, but there was a red Model S parked next to mine. The shop guy pointed out to me the hood where the PPF had bubbled up like blisters with some small tears in an area the size of a softball. I asked him if it was defective film that needed replacing. Quite the opposite… some large piece of scrap metal came flying out the back of a truck that the driver was behind on the expressway at 75mph and hit his hood. The PPF did its job… protected the paint… no scratches or dents and instead of having to do any body work repaint the entire hood etc., they were going to peel the PPF from the hood and put a new piece on… I stopped beating myself up…

I just got my car back yesterday and it looks fantastic… no seams, no lines, and it looks like a glossy black mirror.

I realize that PPF is a personal decision and it’s not a perfect solution for every situation nor is it a perfect fit for all Tesla owners/lessees… but it was right for me.

Well after almost 11 months, here we are. Sadly I've been extremely sick the last week or so, so I haven't had any play time at all. Drove it home, parked in garage, and briefly played with some settings on the screen. That's it. :(

Car looked beautiful. No issues except one sorta major one. Noticed a tiny scratch on the front lip, but then I looked underneath and there were two large gashes on each side underneath the bumper which continued onto the plastic shield. The person told me they would replace the bumper next week (after he helped me set up the appointment).

No complaints really, and I'm glad that everything went smoothly. But I had to move my PPF appoint out and the next one available is October 6th. :(

A071A212-A391-4DFB-B01B-6B7BFD51CC98.jpeg

This was the first car for me where I decided to do PPF. I kept my last 2 cars 14 and 12 years each and I plan to keep this car at least 10 years. I’m one of those people who agonize over every scratch, chip, and ding on a car. While waiting the 13 months for my Model S, I went back and forth on if I would get it. I had a couple of experiences/anecdotes that convinced me to do it and another experience that confirmed it was a great decision.

Anecdote 1: a guy who works for me has a white Model 3. I was in the Bay Area back in the spring to visit my team that works there and he offered to pick me up every day from the hotel. He’s mid way through a 3 year lease and the front of his car and his hood has more pit marks than I did as a teen suffering from acne. It didn’t make sense for him to pay for PPF because of it being a lease, but it helped me understand the kind of damage you can get in 18 months.

Anecdote 2: I was at a local restaurant and happened to park near a blue 2021 Model S Plaid. I made a point to walk over and ask the owner how he liked his car (mentioned to him that I was waiting for my 2022 MSLR). He loved it but told me he had one regret… he put PPF on the front but didn’t get it applied to the full hood or any other body parts. He then pointed out the rock chips on his hood that hit above the PPF line and then he walked me to the passenger side of the car and showed me a nice long scratch that he had on the rear fender where he got too close to the side of his garage backing out. He then showed me the fenders on the rear where Tesla had put pieces of PPF for rocks slinging back, but the strips didn’t go high enough to protect from rocks. His counsel to me was, that he regretted not getting more PPF.

Anecdote 3: I bit the bullet and decided to make a reservation for a PPF shop in Atlanta that installs XPEL PPF. I decided to do full. I only had 3 days to drive the car before it was scheduled to go in… As I was driving over that morning, I was debating whether I was being frivolous. I get there and check in. One of the shop guys walks out with me to inspect the car and I hadn’t noticed, but there was a red Model S parked next to mine. The shop guy pointed out to me the hood where the PPF had bubbled up like blisters with some small tears in an area the size of a softball. I asked him if it was defective film that needed replacing. Quite the opposite… some large piece of scrap metal came flying out the back of a truck that the driver was behind on the expressway at 75mph and hit his hood. The PPF did its job… protected the paint… no scratches or dents and instead of having to do any body work repaint the entire hood etc., they were going to peel the PPF from the hood and put a new piece on… I stopped beating myself up…

I just got my car back yesterday and it looks fantastic… no seams, no lines, and it looks like a glossy black mirror.

I realize that PPF is a personal decision and it’s not a perfect solution for every situation nor is it a perfect fit for all Tesla owners/lessees… but it was right for me.
Who did you go with in Atlanta and what was your quote?

Who did you go with in Atlanta and what was your quote?
I used AP3 Paint Protection (#1 XPEL Dealer in the Nation - AP3 Paint Protection) - Full PPF Glossy was $5950 (stealth runs a little more - ~6400 I think). In addition to their website, look at their Google reviews… 384 review and all 5.0 ratings.

When I picked my car up from the Decatur Tesla service center - I mentioned to the delivery coordinator that the car was headed to get PPF after the Labor Day holiday, he asked me who I was going to use. I told him and he said, “great decision… those guys are the best in town.”

I haven’t posted a review yet, but had a phenomenal experience with them. They sent me pics and status updates every day. My car was going to be ready for pick up last Friday and I was out of town. They were more than happy to keep my car stored inside and have it charged when my flight got back on Monday. They did great work. No visible seams… every edge tucked.

Attachments

• 0789CF66-6612-4296-AE60-C719AE3A83C8.jpeg
    0789CF66-6612-4296-AE60-C719AE3A83C8.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: ccc001
Took delivery yesterday, 11mo + 6 days after original order.
Everything was perfect. Quick process for everything, trade-in, they even helped with transferring the plates from trade-in.
Picked it up 48 miles away and this was the first time I ever drove a Tesla :)
I was amazed that 100% of the time for the whole trip home I did not have to touch the break pedal even once.
Needless to day, I've been playing with its features ever since...

Took delivery last week.. been busy. Unfortunately had some issues.. but overall I love the car.

Gashes under front bumper..
Grease on interior..
Adhesive on areas..
Dash alignment off..
Scrunched door weather seal..

How do they not catch this when checking the car over..

Have a service appt in 2 weeks. What do they do regarding the bumper? Obviously don’t want it repainted but it’s down to the plastic. Under the vehicle so don’t see it.. but also didn’t pay to receive a damaged car.

72FD1BCF-8847-4F8F-B878-B0D087ABCF24.jpeg
D8633B8A-6888-4B45-A304-00664C059FDF.jpeg
0E1E86DB-B721-40C5-944A-D9EA877E16AD.jpeg
753736E1-22E6-4FE9-BCA9-CD6DC4CA22FC.jpeg
9516AD0F-890E-41CF-943C-3A2C5A018D89.jpeg
5B7DA097-E3C3-4E61-83A3-B8B26D997BC2.jpeg
9AF12E89-F32E-4950-BEE2-7E1663EDDBC5.jpeg
BE7888DE-96CC-424C-A152-970B163C6B29.jpeg

Took delivery last week.. been busy. Unfortunately had some issues.. but overall I love the car.

Gashes under front bumper..
Grease on interior..
Adhesive on areas..
Dash alignment off..
Scrunched door weather seal..

How do they not catch this when checking the car over..

Have a service appt in 2 weeks. What do they do regarding the bumper? Obviously don’t want it repainted but it’s down to the plastic. Under the vehicle so don’t see it.. but also didn’t pay to receive a damaged car.

View attachment 854945View attachment 854946View attachment 854950View attachment 854951View attachment 854952View attachment 854953View attachment 854954View attachment 854955
That is the worst seal installation I have seen! however, panel trim misalignment and bumper damage is common.

The adhesive can be removed with alcohol, and the paint transfer with cleaner wax.

Not sure if I'd try to get the SvC to fix the paint or trim, who knows how long it will take or what else they will damage... perhaps get them to comp you something from the store.

No wrinkled seats, or misaligned charge port? I'm kinda jealous is that is is true.

That is the worst seal installation I have seen! however, panel trim misalignment and bumper damage is common.

The adhesive can be removed with alcohol, and the paint transfer with cleaner wax.

Not sure if I'd try to get the SvC to fix the paint or trim, who knows how long it will take or what else they will damage... perhaps get them to comp you something from the store.

No wrinkled seats, or misaligned charge port? I'm kinda jealous is that is is true.

Yeah the seal was a joke.. I was supposed to pick the car up at a tesla location then they said we can have your car earlier.. so I text back “yes”.. then they text me saying they are delivering the car. I was looking out for them the whole time.. but they pulled in my driveway, and left before I saw them.

If they offer to paint I will decline but will raise hell for it being delivered damaged like that. So we shall see. If the interior grease doesn’t come out or look worse after I’ll make them replace stuff.. I’m not touching it. The car is amazing guys.. worth the wait and bs (if you’re unlucky).

Regarding the seats and charge ports.. that is all good! Everything else looks great. Even panel gaps are amazing. My Y performance gaps suck.

Yeah the seal was a joke.. I was supposed to pick the car up at a tesla location then they said we can have your car earlier.. so I text back “yes”.. then they text me saying they are delivering the car. I was looking out for them the whole time.. but they pulled in my driveway, and left before I saw them.

If they offer to paint I will decline but will raise hell for it being delivered damaged like that. So we shall see. If the interior grease doesn’t come out or look worse after I’ll make them replace stuff.. I’m not touching it. The car is amazing guys.. worth the wait and bs (if you’re unlucky).

Regarding the seats and charge ports.. that is all good! Everything else looks great. Even panel gaps are amazing. My Y performance gaps suck.
The grease appears to be more like a non curing sealant. I found some oozing out in the trunk seal. Might have to use Acetone, that will melt some plastics like ABS, so be careful.

Seems to me they knew about the seal, possibly the car was rejected, and just created an opportunity to dump it in your driveway.

Still, sounds like you got a pretty good build. Enjoy!