Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will look better powder coated back than the old style wheels.
The offset pushes the wheels out more. I think they’ll look great with black painted aerocaps too.
Meh... the Tempest wheels look average compared to the new Zero-G. Take a look at the specs listed below. ;)

1627440623172.png
1627440634261.png

1627441138304.png

• Love
Reactions: Drew-MS
WHEELS. Anybody else see this surcharge? I was informed last friday after my july delivery disappeared, that the problem was the 19” gemini wheels, so, wanting my car i said switch to 21” arachnids +$4500. SC said watch on monday for the change. Nothing on monday. Nothing on tuesday. So i emailed. SC said i needed to pay $5000 for trim. I said, “what trim, send a picture”, no picture came. I re-asked WHAT trim. SC said no trim changes just an extra $5000. So 21” arachnids now $9500. No explanation. I said no, wait til i die, i guess. No idea what is coming now. I did not sign surcharge change. Like others, what is tesla doing? Prices have changed since december by nearly $20,000. Now this.

WHEELS. Anybody else see this surcharge? I was informed last friday after my july delivery disappeared, that the problem was the 19” gemini wheels, so, wanting my car i said switch to 21” arachnids +$4500. SC said watch on monday for the change. Nothing on monday. Nothing on tuesday. So i emailed. SC said i needed to pay $5000 for trim. I said, “what trim, send a picture”, no picture came. I re-asked WHAT trim. SC said no trim changes just an extra $5000. So 21” arachnids now $9500. No explanation. I said no, wait til i die, i guess. No idea what is coming now. I did not sign surcharge change. Like others, what is tesla doing? Prices have changed since december by nearly $20,000. Now this.
They raised the prices two weeks ago (I think). $5000 on the LR and $10000 on the Plaid. So yes, if you change your order (wheels, paint, interior, FSD, etc.), you will either increase (or decrease) your order plus the increase mentioned above.

There must be a massive shortage of Yoke steering wheels... ;)

"Tesla has updated its website configurator for the upcoming Model S, to reflect delivery delays on both the Long Range and Plaid trims for new customers. The Long Range Model S especially faces a massive delay, now estimated to arrive in February or March of 2022. Delays to estimated delivery windows are not uncommon for Tesla, nor are fluctuating prices. However, this latest push is quite significant compared to previous delays, as it has punted the expected delivery time of the upcoming Long Range trim into 2022.

Previously, the Long Range Model was was scheduled to begin arriving in customer’s driveways this September or October. Simultaneously, the highly touted Model S Plaid is also showing a delay, albeit quite smaller than the Long Range. Plaid was originally scheduled to arrive next month, but has now been pushed to September-October, according to Tesla’s website."

1627444112864.png

Last edited:
In Cali, it makes a difference in that you get extended time to use HOV lanes. For my last MS, I got it several days before Jan 1, and basically lost an entire year of HOV access.
Is this accurate? I thought the three years for the HOV sticker was based on when you apply, regardless of when the car was purchased. Thus, if you mail the application in on Jan 1 2022, it’ll be valid through Dec 31 2024. At least that’s how it used to work. Did something change?

"Tesla has updated its website configurator for the upcoming Model S, to reflect delivery delays on both the Long Range and Plaid trims for new customers. The Long Range Model S especially faces a massive delay, now estimated to arrive in February or March of 2022. Delays to estimated delivery windows are not uncommon for Tesla, nor are fluctuating prices. However, this latest push is quite significant compared to previous delays, as it has punted the expected delivery time of the upcoming Long Range trim into 2022.

Previously, the Long Range Model was was scheduled to begin arriving in customer’s driveways this September or October. Simultaneously, the highly touted Model S Plaid is also showing a delay, albeit quite smaller than the Long Range. Plaid was originally scheduled to arrive next month, but has now been pushed to September-October, according to Tesla’s website."

View attachment 689045
We’ll see if it is for “new customers” or customers even with orders pending.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If it’s for new customers only, does it hint at a potential “major upgrade” again? I remember the last facelift years ago was accompanied by AP upgrade with only a few weeks/months apart.
Extremely unlikely. The AP 2.0 release was because of contract conditions with MobileEye. There isn't anything similar on the horizon coming this year.

Reactions: cwanja and Buggybug
Is this accurate? I thought the three years for the HOV sticker was based on when you apply, regardless of when the car was purchased. Thus, if you mail the application in on Jan 1 2022, it’ll be valid through Dec 31 2024. At least that’s how it used to work. Did something change?
You get 3 full years based not on when you purchase but when you apply for the sticker (or maybe even based on when you receive it/ see below).

I got my last HOV sticker eligible car at the end of November a few years ago and immediately applied for the sticker. I was upset at not getting the red HOV lane sticker or having the carpool lane for my 3 hour roundtrip commute the rest of that year (almost as upset as I am waiting for the refresh Model S LR). When I finally got the sticker at the end of January, it was the purple sticker meaning I got 3 full years plus the remainder of the that year (so 3 years and 11 months) of carpool lane access. If I got the red sticker at the end of December as 4SUPER9 did, I would only have 3 years and maybe a few days of carpool lane access so it was much better to get it early the next year.

Even if my Model S LR gets delivered by the current September estimate, I am probably not going to apply for the sticker until mid December or early January to maximize my HOV sticker time. Getting the extra 10-11 months in the carpool lane will be worth it.

One last point for you high earners in California who want the HOV sticker, review the eligibility requirements with respect to the Clean Vehicle Rebate before you take it. If your income is above the threshold, you cannot get the HOV sticker if you take the rebate (and my SA said they would take care of the rebate for me when my car gets here).

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and Jet007
Is nobody else freaking out about the new LR orders being pushed out to Feb-March of next year?? Given the dates being given by SAs for orders back in January were based directly on the dates for new orders on Tesla's website, I'm going to be pissed if my order takes > 1 yr when it was originally estimated to be a 2 month wait...
As someone who ordered in June, I've pretty much given up hopes of getting the car this year. And since I will need a car before the end of the year, I'm pretty much out of this waiting game. I'll probably wait till October (which is my current estimate) and then move on. I actually have a Model 3 reservation for which I had a VIN but I put it on hold in hopes of getting the LR. But I can only hold the Model 3 until end of this year. I'll probably use the Model 3 for a couple of years and then get the LR once all this madness is over.
If I had ordered in January or even a 2-3 months back, I'd be freaking out too. It's quite disappointing to say the least, on how Tesla has treated/handled the LR orders.

As someone who ordered in June, I've pretty much given up hopes of getting the car this year. And since I will need a car before the end of the year, I'm pretty much out of this waiting game. I'll probably wait till October (which is my current estimate) and then move on. I actually have a Model 3 reservation for which I had a VIN but I put it on hold in hopes of getting the LR. But I can only hold the Model 3 until end of this year. I'll probably use the Model 3 for a couple of years and then get the LR once all this madness is over.
If I had ordered in January or even a 2-3 months back, I'd be freaking out too. It's quite disappointing to say the least, on how Tesla has treated/handled the LR orders.
Yeah - I dont get how their estimates can be that bad. I'm still hopeful I'll hit the Aug/Sep timeline but it kind of seems like maybe they are going to stop with the LR production and get all their money by expediting the Plaid builds over LRs.

Based on your scenario, my only call out (having had a Model S from 5 yrs ago and most recently a Performance Model 3) is that the Model S is just a far nicer car to drive than the 3, which is the main reason why I sold the 3. Compared to the old S, it was much louder (tons of road and wind noise), a lot more bumpy, and significantly less trunk space due to the opening area of the trunk and it not being a hatchback. Unless you really want the smaller feeling car, I'd shoot for the Y rather than the 3 if you're going to pull our of the LR MS queue

Reactions: Jet007
Yeah - I dont get how their estimates can be that bad. I'm still hopeful I'll hit the Aug/Sep timeline but it kind of seems like maybe they are going to stop with the LR production and get all their money by expediting the Plaid builds over LRs.

Based on your scenario, my only call out (having had a Model S from 5 yrs ago and most recently a Performance Model 3) is that the Model S is just a far nicer car to drive than the 3, which is the main reason why I sold the 3. Compared to the old S, it was much louder (tons of road and wind noise), a lot more bumpy, and significantly less trunk space due to the opening area of the trunk and it not being a hatchback. Unless you really want the smaller feeling car, I'd shoot for the Y rather than the 3 if you're going to pull our of the LR MS queue
Thanks for the suggestion. I test drove the MY and didn't really like how heavy it felt. Moreover, I already have an Audi Q5 as my primary car. So looking for a sedan as the 2nd car. Not really worried about space but road and wind noise is concerning. They did add dual pane windows in 2021 M3 but I have read that it hasn't helped much with sound isolation. Also, the removal of radar (and the not so important passenger side lumbar) hasn't really gotten me excited for M3. I definitely want an electric/hybrid for carpool lane usage in CA. Will probably take a second look at Ioniq 5 but Tesla doesn't really have tough competition in the sedan electric segment.

Just took delivery of Model S LR. Black/Black/21s. No FSD. Ordered early May. RN1149. There were probably 6-7 MSLR on the lot. Apparently <25 have been delivered in GA so far.

This is my first Tesla. Car is amazing. Faster than I expected. Easier to 1-pedal drive than I expected. Yoke is different but on the balance a net improvement.

One bad thing I don't think others have noted much is that rear visibility and side mirrors are surprisingly poor.

Good thing: I think the front windshield is UV protected and sides are somewhat tinted/protected. I'm going to see how I like it before I try to tint it. I used to tint dark but now I dont really like that look as much.

I'm going to try to live with trickle charging at home :-/

Hope you all get your cars soon. I have lurked here for months...
Interesting, I have the same exact order and RN (1149 with Black/Black/21”) but with a blank ETA in SoCal. I guess region makes a difference?

Reactions: Drew-MS
There must be a massive shortage of Yoke steering wheels... ;)

View attachment 689045
Totally ruined my vibe.. I got excited several days ago seeing deliveries were back up and running. These new dates are brutal..

Is nobody else freaking out about the new LR orders being pushed out to Feb-March of next year?? Given the dates being given by SAs for orders back in January were based directly on the dates for new orders on Tesla's website, I'm going to be pissed if my order takes > 1 yr when it was originally estimated to be a 2 month wait...
I’m out if that is true. Been waiting since last year and getting tired of it. Will see what happens, but if true will just lease another BMW for a couple years and see what the landscape looks like then. Tesla better get its act together, as in two to three years marketplace will be so competitive and will be so many choices that know how to communicate and treat customers. Not a great first experience!