Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the king of curb rash! It's good to know my kingdom will flourish going forward.
You know, 80% of curb rash is eliminated by birds-eye view on screen. Tesla is loaded with cameras so it only requires software. My wife's 2021 E-series Benz convertible has birds-eye view and it works perfectly to avoid curb rash.

We were at the Service Center in Superior, CO yesterday and noticed a couple LR S with the silver aero covers. One car had silver wheels underneath the aero covers and the other had the dark grey wheels. Both had kittens on the Monroney stickers and at least one sticker had the word "Test" on it, so maybe these cars are for test drives.
Was just now watching your latest YouTube episode and saw there too. Good Find!!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We were at the Service Center in Superior, CO yesterday and noticed a couple LR S with the silver aero covers. One car had silver wheels underneath the aero covers and the other had the dark grey wheels. Both had kittens on the Monroney stickers and at least one sticker had the word "Test" on it, so maybe these cars are for test drives.
I WANT a "kitty" on my Monroney sticker!!! $5k more gets you that?!

Thank you for the detailed pics. This seems to confirm what we saw before. Sorry, I actually think the covers, as blah as they are, are better than the fugly wheels underneath. In fact, I thing of every version wheel on the Model S that Tesla has released, these are hands-down the ugliest ones yet.
Lots of posts now ref the S 19" vs. 21" wheels. I've learned a lot from all you folks and considered advantages of each. While recent posts seem to state many feel the darker 19" are easier on the eyes vs. the previous silver caps which is a good thing for those sticking with those wheels. For me personally, while I initially did order 19s, I was kinda surprised Tesla chose ones with caps based on the price point of the car, especially considering many of us gladly accepted the upcharge for different exterior and/or interior versions. I changed my order to 21s prior to the 2 recent price increases based on looks, decent roads, etc. Zero regrets. For those with 19s, many now seem OK with the darker wheels/caps which is good. In addition, I have seen lots if great looking aftermarket wheels and 20s might be a wise consideration for some.

Seems like most of us could be happier campers with better communications, honesty, etc. While many here post great satisfaction with the vehicle and even state the games and debacle were worth the final product, personally, I suspect I will love my LR once I take delivery; the long road now, however, still leaves a bad taste, so going forward, I might just do better homework prior to future purchases...

The 19s aero covers aren't for the looks. Its for the range. If you want a MS with EPA estimated 400mi+, you need the aero covers.

Understood sir/ma'am. I learned that both 19s & 21s have advantages & disadvantages and I personally respect how every person might justify their choice. I recognize and considered all, and for me personally, I gladly accepted the range loss noted for 21s, considered I really liked the look of the Arachnids with Michelins, will be driving on usually very decent roads and felt I personally could justify the $4,500- price increase, for me personally. Not everyone will agree and again, I respect everyone's choice. YMMV...

Understood sir/ma'am. I learned that both 19s & 21s have advantages & disadvantages and I personally respect how every person might justify their choice. I recognize and considered all, and for me personally, I gladly accepted the range loss noted for 21s, considered I really liked the look of the Arachnids with Michelins, will be driving on usually very decent roads and felt I personally could justify the $4,500- price increase, for me personally. Not everyone will agree and again, I respect everyone's choice. YMMV...

Can someone explain why there is a range loss? Sorry, must have missed that but have heard it many times. I just don't understand the physics of that, seems counter to logic...

Can someone explain why there is a range loss? Sorry, must have missed that but have heard it many times. I just don't understand the physics of that, seems counter to logic...
Larger wheels. Just like an ICE vehicle (take a truck for example) - if you lift the truck and put larger tires, takes more rotations to to turn the vehicle and you get worse miles per gallon. And thus in an EV, more consumption from tire rotations = less range. That is probably way oversimplified. But what it boils down to.

• Disagree
Reactions: JADCa and chromeboy
Haha, I'm sure that was the whole plan behind the decision, just to come after your $5k.
If you dont believe they want your money, I dont know what to tell you. They had nice designed rims on their cars before, other ev manufactures have nice rims on their cars too without needing to shell out 5k. If they really didnt want your money, they could have had the rims for $1500 like everyone else

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks and foos
Lots of posts now ref the S 19" vs. 21" wheels. I've learned a lot from all you folks and considered advantages of each. While recent posts seem to state many feel the darker 19" are easier on the eyes vs. the previous silver caps which is a good thing for those sticking with those wheels. For me personally, while I initially did order 19s, I was kinda surprised Tesla chose ones with caps based on the price point of the car, especially considering many of us gladly accepted the upcharge for different exterior and/or interior versions. I changed my order to 21s prior to the 2 recent price increases based on looks, decent roads, etc. Zero regrets. For those with 19s, many now seem OK with the darker wheels/caps which is good. In addition, I have seen lots if great looking aftermarket wheels and 20s might be a wise consideration for some.

Seems like most of us could be happier campers with better communications, honesty, etc. While many here post great satisfaction with the vehicle and even state the games and debacle were worth the final product, personally, I suspect I will love my LR once I take delivery; the long road now, however, still leaves a bad taste, so going forward, I might just do better homework prior to future purchases...
I will buy some beautiful aftermarket 19's, for far less than the Tesla 21's. I will move the original tires to the new weeks and keep the originals on which I will place winter tires on. The total cost will be about $3,500 and I will have two sets of wheels.

Reactions: Vinny860
I’f I’m shelling an amount close to six figures, I’m not hearing “don’t call back until you have a VIN”. Agreed, no point in calling to hear what we already know, but for them to make an already crap reputation even worse by their wording isn’t helping as well.
Yes, but wait till you hear this... My sister ordered 9.85Kwh TSLA Solar Roof & 2 PWalls in Feb. 2021. Signed a contract and had site survey done by LIDAR, satellite views, (and humanoid too). Was in permitting process with PG&E when TSLA jacked up her price by 40%! No explanation, no remuneration, just veiled threats that her "place in line was not held, and if she didn't agree to new pricing, she'd go to the back of the que"! So upsetting F%>&$#%! She bailed and got her $100 deposit back w/o any apologies or anything to suggest why they were so far off with the first quoted price. Bait and switch class action, I told her.

I am by far no expert here, but I think it has a lot more to do with the caps than the wheel size (although that may have an effect too).

Here’s an article/video about it:

Reactions: Danlbrau and cwanja
Aerodynamics?? S more aerodynamic than X; aero caps more aerodynamic, less drag than Arachnids? 21s vs. 19s??
Perhaps not a perfect or great analogy - trailing edge flaps on an aircraft create both LIFT & DRAG! There is a point where as flap position increases, you might realize more drag than lift. Next time you are a passenger on a commercial aircraft and able to view trailing edge flap positions on BOTH takeoff AND landing, on 1 specific type aircraft, takeoff flap position might be 10 vs. 30 or 40 for landing. The technicalities can be rather complex...

Larger wheels. Just like an ICE vehicle (take a truck for example) - if you lift the truck and put larger tires, takes more rotations to to turn the vehicle and you get worse miles per gallon. And thus in an EV, more consumption from tire rotations = less range. That is probably way oversimplified. But what it boils down to.
Huh? The outside diameters of the 19" tires is the same as the outside diameters of the 21" tires so the car is going the same distance per rotation of the hub. If the 21" tires were larger, they would actually travel further per rotation than a smaller tire which would seemingly result in increased range, not decreased.

Huh? The outside diameters of the 19" tires is the same as the outside diameters of the 21" tires so the car is going the same distance per rotation of the hub. If the 21" tires were larger, they would actually travel further per rotation than a smaller tire which would seemingly result in increased range, not decreased.
Exactly. It’s weight and aerodynamics

I will buy some beautiful aftermarket 19's, for far less than the Tesla 21's. I will move the original tires to the new weeks and keep the originals on which I will place winter tires on. The total cost will be about $3,500 and I will have two sets of wheels.
Where will you be getting these aftermarket 19's? I haven't found any yet.