Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery yesterday on a LR with 19" rims. My thoughts coming from a 2018 Model S 75D. Summary, I LOVE IT!

Exterior
  1. Changes are subtle but noticeable for Tesla fans.
  2. I like the black trim, gives it a much sportier look.
  3. Same for the extra width in fenders and tires, sportier, meaner looking!
  4. Didn't plan on liking the 19" rims w/aeros but actually do. The rims look smaller though if you remove the covers.
  5. Quality was good, no major paint or panel gap issues.
Interior
  1. Yoke, do like the extra visibility and not having to take your hand off the wheel for turns signals is actually nice. Not sure how wife will like it.
  2. Interior design, thumbs up! Feels more modern. Friend commented it is now more competitive with Taycan on that front.
  3. Software/UI, higher learning curve due to the flexibility and windowing UI.
  4. Screens, all great though I feel the backup cam is a little grainy in full screen even in daylight. Anyone else notice this?
  5. Seats are very comfortable. Did have some "wrinkles/folds" in rear that they will replace
  6. Missing the cargo floor panels like others, said it was due to backorder.
  7. Stereo is awesome! No distortion, clear highs and incredible bass if you want it.
Driving
  1. Smoother and quieter than prev 75D for sure. Adds to the enjoyment.
  2. Holy SH*T it is fast! I knew the specs on paper but was still blown away! It throws you back in the seat no matter how fast you are going. I took a Tesla owner for a ride and floored it at 50 and hit 90 so fast, we were both blown away! His quote was "Holy crap what a car that is!!"! This is a HUGE upgrade and makes me smile every time I do it. I can't imagine the Plaid acceleration.
  3. Really, it feels so fast. a Porsche owner drove and was blown away by how fast it is and couldn't imagine wanting anything faster.
  4. No seriously, the improvement in mid-range power delivery is incredible. The car feels like it is lifting off the ground at 50mph when you punch it.
  5. Yoke + Drive Selector, not really an issue except complicated maneuvers like 3 point turns etc.
Awesome review. CANNOT WAIT for my delivery! October....please...October!

For those of you curious about how powder coated 19” wheels look. Here you go. So glad I went with 19’s instead of 21’s.

Attachments

• DC76BBB1-0879-4B92-BF14-F7D4500054EE.jpeg
    DC76BBB1-0879-4B92-BF14-F7D4500054EE.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 93
  • C1520692-7897-46FB-A4CF-5B863F85C3D2.jpeg
    C1520692-7897-46FB-A4CF-5B863F85C3D2.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 83
  • CA161A71-1F94-4F57-969B-6443C8F4575A.jpeg
    CA161A71-1F94-4F57-969B-6443C8F4575A.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 76
Awesome review. CANNOT WAIT for my delivery! October....please...October!
Thanks! I have been questioning my sanity for ordering a new Model S 3 years after getting one. However, the gains across the categories of performance, drivetrain, electrical/charging, battery mgmt, design and FUN have eliminated any regrets!

A few other notes:
1. Charging on the same Tesla wall charger as before is 25% faster (42 miles/hour vs 34 on 75D)
2. Was unable to secure any freebies (winter mats, 14-50 adapter) from Tesla. In 2018 I got free mats at least :)
3. At home delivery was really nice. I thought I would miss the experience of going to the dealer and seeing it but did not.
4. When turning, light is projected in the turn direction. Didn't know this was a feature and my old car didn't have it. Anyone know if these are adaptive headlights or is it just an additional LED they turn on?

4. When turning, light is projected in the turn direction. Didn't know this was a feature and my old car didn't have it. Anyone know if these are adaptive headlights or is it just an additional LED they turn on?
Just an additional light that is triggered when you turn the yoke or engage the turn signal.

MSLR RN1147 White/Blk 19 " Ordered 4/4/21 EDD just changed from Sept 27-30 to Oct 11-Nov 4. :( So what's the cut off date for the car to be a 2022 model?
The rumor is cars manufactured on or later than 10/1 get a 2022 VIN designation. Probably will know when some of the VINs start rolling in next Tuesday and Wednesday. Those would likely be built Friday or Saturday.

Took delivery yesterday on a LR with 19" rims. My thoughts coming from a 2018 Model S 75D. Summary, I LOVE IT!

Exterior
  1. Changes are subtle but noticeable for Tesla fans.
  2. I like the black trim, gives it a much sportier look.
  3. Same for the extra width in fenders and tires, sportier, meaner looking!
  4. Didn't plan on liking the 19" rims w/aeros but actually do. The rims look smaller though if you remove the covers.
  5. Quality was good, no major paint or panel gap issues.
Interior
  1. Yoke, do like the extra visibility and not having to take your hand off the wheel for turns signals is actually nice. Not sure how wife will like it.
  2. Interior design, thumbs up! Feels more modern. Friend commented it is now more competitive with Taycan on that front.
  3. Software/UI, higher learning curve due to the flexibility and windowing UI.
  4. Screens, all great though I feel the backup cam is a little grainy in full screen even in daylight. Anyone else notice this?
  5. Seats are very comfortable. Did have some "wrinkles/folds" in rear that they will replace
  6. Missing the cargo floor panels like others, said it was due to backorder.
  7. Stereo is awesome! No distortion, clear highs and incredible bass if you want it.
Driving
  1. Smoother and quieter than prev 75D for sure. Adds to the enjoyment.
  2. Holy SH*T it is fast! I knew the specs on paper but was still blown away! It throws you back in the seat no matter how fast you are going. I took a Tesla owner for a ride and floored it at 50 and hit 90 so fast, we were both blown away! His quote was "Holy crap what a car that is!!"! This is a HUGE upgrade and makes me smile every time I do it. I can't imagine the Plaid acceleration.
  3. Really, it feels so fast. a Porsche owner drove and was blown away by how fast it is and couldn't imagine wanting anything faster.
  4. No seriously, the improvement in mid-range power delivery is incredible. The car feels like it is lifting off the ground at 50mph when you punch it.
  5. Yoke + Drive Selector, not really an issue except complicated maneuvers like 3 point turns etc.
[EDITS BELOW]
A few other notes:
1. Charging on the same Tesla wall charger as before is 25% faster (42 miles/hour vs 34 on 75D)
2. Was unable to secure any freebies (winter mats, 14-50 adapter) from Tesla. In 2018 I got free mats at least :)
3. At home delivery was really nice. I thought I would miss the experience of going to the dealer and seeing it but did not.
Beautiful car and great review. Same design as mine. Seems like a long wait to Nov. I have to do lot of city driving and thro narrow streets wiht cars parked on either side. Hoping the width won't be an issue.

How much did this run you? I would love to do the same but we don't really have a shop here that will take care of the whole thing for you at once. Would have to go get the tires dismounted from the wheels and then wait and remount.
I paid $500. Dropped the car off and picked it up the next morning. Handled it all including rebalancing the tires.

After the mad rush yesterday from VIN assignment to delivery in just 8.5 hours the new car is now in the driveway! A 2022 model # have been nice from a HOV sticker perspective but more than that I'm glad the wait is over and wish everyone on this forum the best of luck on that front!

I was never given a contact in the delivery center - to whom do we address issues? My main problem so far is the rear passenger door handle doesn't fully retract and then alarms. Do I call the local service center?

Also I really would prefer all seasons as we like to go to Tahoe and I don't want two sets of tires - I saw others say they managed to get theirs changed - how were you able to do that? Through searching the forums I wasn't able to find exactly where I read that.

IMG_4688.jpg

After the mad rush yesterday from VIN assignment to delivery in just 8.5 hours the new car is now in the driveway! A 2022 model # have been nice from a HOV sticker perspective but more than that I'm glad the wait is over and wish everyone on this forum the best of luck on that front!

I was never given a contact in the delivery center - to whom do we address issues? My main problem so far is the rear passenger door handle doesn't fully retract and then alarms. Do I call the local service center?

Also I really would prefer all seasons as we like to go to Tahoe and I don't want two sets of tires - I saw others say they managed to get theirs changed - how were you able to do that? Through searching the forums I wasn't able to find exactly where I read that.

View attachment 715413
I was able to get mine swapped at no charge, but Tesla told me I was a one-off and they swapped only because my SA told me in writing a few months before delivery that I’d get AS. Actually just completed the swap today and they let me keep Summer Pirellis at no charge.