Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest flyover vid shows little activity but what it does show is cars from the overflow lot or reject pile or whatever the stash of model s being loaded and moved. Hope we do not see these starting to be delivered without some explanation. Maybe demo cars for dealers? It’s at the very end of the video…

Reactions: RxVanco
Latest flyover vid shows little activity but what it does show is cars from the overflow lot or reject pile or whatever the stash of model s being loaded and moved. Hope we do not see these starting to be delivered without some explanation. Maybe demo cars for dealers? It’s at the very end of the video…

Do we think those have been there since summer? MF430 or whatever? Seems like they would have tried to move them before the end of the quarter rather than just after if they were ok to sell.

Reactions: chrisdh79
I’ll be taking delivery at Owing mills as well. Sometime between Feb-Mar hopefully. Daniel is my SA.
I'm curious, did they actually reach out to you and assign you a SA? I never got a single call despite the fact that I've had my order in for almost a year now (2/2) order. To this day I have no clue if I even have a SA.

Only times I've ever spoken to anyone at that delivery center was when I called to ask where my car was and got whichever SA answered the phone speculating about it. I'm stunned you even got a call offering you another car. Was it a match to your build?

I'm curious, did they actually reach out to you and assign you a SA? I never got a single call despite the fact that I've had my order in for almost a year now (2/2) order. To this day I have no clue if I even have a SA.

Only times I've ever spoken to anyone at that delivery center was when I called to ask where my car was and got whichever SA answered the phone speculating about it. I'm stunned you even got a call offering you another car. Was it a match to your build?
I got an email from my SA the day after I ordered in Sept. Daniel has offered me 2 cars since then. A blue LR, but wouldn't honor my lower price, and the MF430 which is an older 21 build which I also declined. You can try calling Daniel at 443-789-3089 and see if he or another SA will take you on for updates/offers.

Reactions: Neon001
Once upon a time, in a state far, far away from California, there was a guy who ordered a Tesla Model S Long Range (Red/Cream/FSD/19") on May 11 2021.

Seven and a half months later, his Estimated Delivery Date shows 3/1 - 3/29.

Before that, his EDD was TBD for almost a week.
Before that, his EDD was 12/22 - 12/28 for a few days.
Before that, he had a VIN, which was taken away the next day. His delivery was scheduled for 12/27, and continued to display that way for 3 days, even though the VIN was gone.
Before that, his EDD was 12/22 - 12/28.
Before that, his EDD was 1/13 - 2/10.
Before that, his EDD was 12/10 - 12/31.
Before that, his EDD was 11/29 - 12/10.
Before that, his EDD was 11/13 - 11/29.
Before that, it was sometime in October.

The moral of this story: don't trust Tesla's EDD. You'll get the car when you'll get the car. And then you'll live happily ever after.
Update: One week ago, Tesla changed my EDD to March 1 - 29, after having received a VIN on Dec 18th, and losing it the next day.

Today, my EDD updated to Jan 21 - Feb 18. Still a four week window, and because of my experience with the ever shifting EDD and a disappearing VIN, I continue to put no faith in the EDD. My wife and I will be happy to get the car, whenever it happens.

To anyone who depends on the EDD for planning purposes, my strong recommendation is that you don't. Wait until you get your VIN. Even the VIN isn't a 100% guarantee, but based on other comments in this forum, it's far more dependable than the EDD.

Happy New Year.

My SA tried to sell me a MF430 LR 2 weeks ago. I immediately said, ummm no.. So they're still out there being tossed around to a unknowing customer.
That is a sketchy situation with the MF430 lot. When I got my MF440 VIN I had a bit of a dyslexia panic attack thinking it was a 430. Clearly something was SO wrong with this lot that they sat for what, nine months outside and now they are (in 2022 or NF times) offering them to customers. There may be nothing wrong with them (now) but there certainly WAS and either Tesla fixed it or decided it was 'good enough'. A real enigma......

That is a sketchy situation with the MF430 lot. When I got my MF440 VIN I had a bit of a dyslexia panic attack thinking it was a 430. Clearly something was SO wrong with this lot that they sat for what, nine months outside and now they are (in 2022 or NF times) offering them to customers. There may be nothing wrong with them (now) but there certainly WAS and either Tesla fixed it or decided it was 'good enough'. A real enigma......
From what I remember, that parking lot of abandoned MS's was because Fremont was waiting on chips. Don't remember it being a QC issue.

Just a couple of days ago there was an analyst who wrote about Tesla's spectacular growth last year despite parts shortages. He talked about Tesla modifying their cars such as removing radar from the 3 and Y and also building incomplete cars and storing them (?MF430's) to bring back to the line once parts were available. I for one would gladly accept an MF430 if offered.

The issues with cars sitting in a lot a LONG time is that they aren't really made to do so. We had a Ford F150 ordered that sat 6 months and gave up on it and replaced it with a new build last year. Manuals state if going to sit for 45+ days or so then some precautions need to be taken with driveshaft areas, tires of course get warped/ruined and those have been getting or need to be replaced in some cases, etc. Bit odd but I guess makes sense.

Reactions: chrisdh79
From what I remember, that parking lot of abandoned MS's was because Fremont was waiting on chips. Don't remember it being a QC issue.
I do not believe that we actually know definitively on why they sat for so long. One recent post in a Tesla Facebook group just posted these comments from a SA for a new delivery which he turned down.

-It is a 2021, and is the refreshed model (with yoke).
-Was Manufactured in May of 2021 and sat in Chicago awaiting some type of part. See next point.
-It comes with a "disclosure" that will state that work was done on it after it was manufactured. I am told that it states "HV Battery" and some components of the battery pack were replaced. It was a $5K job and did not require the entire battery pack to be replaced. The person I was speaking with stated that by law Tesla is not required to share this disclosure with me but chose to do so to be transparent. This will also result in a 3K credit to my purchase.

I do not believe that we actually know definitively on why they sat for so long. One recent post in a Tesla Facebook group just posted these comments from a SA for a new delivery which he turned down.

-It is a 2021, and is the refreshed model (with yoke).
-Was Manufactured in May of 2021 and sat in Chicago awaiting some type of part. See next point.
-It comes with a "disclosure" that will state that work was done on it after it was manufactured. I am told that it states "HV Battery" and some components of the battery pack were replaced. It was a $5K job and did not require the entire battery pack to be replaced. The person I was speaking with stated that by law Tesla is not required to share this disclosure with me but chose to do so to be transparent. This will also result in a 3K credit to my purchase.
This info would make sense if accurate. I don’t really buy the parts shortages and they are just now getting them when they build/delivered thousands after.

There was a major issue with them that they finally got around to rectifying IMO. Which aligns with what is said above. Could it be a non issue now? Maybe? I also agree that having a car sit idle in the elements for that long is never good.

I will be very upset if I am offered one of these cars and have to reject it. Good news is I don’t recall seeing many reds in that batch.

Reactions: SoCalDude
Great information. I was wondering if they were being slipped into deliveries to the unknowing or knowingly informing people which it looks like they are so that is a good thing. This will definitely be a personal preference thing for people. For me, sitting in one place for almost nine months in the California sun without any interior protection would make it undesirable to me. It would not be my discomfort with the car mechanically or electrically. The cars are sitting beside an interstate and a rail line, unwashed and unprotected so my concern would be more UV damage to the interior and paint as well as oxidization from acidic rain. They really should have just put simple breathable covers on them to keep them showroom new, fixed the problems and then shipped them. For sure, there is a major stigma (deserved or not) around the MF430 lot. Just my thoughts right or wrong and I suspect that practically, in the end, the only downside is that one will get a 'new' one year old car.... in 2022 but money can make problems vanish IE discounts :)

This info would make sense if accurate. I don’t really buy the parts shortages and they are just now getting them when they build/delivered thousands after.

There was a major issue with them that they finally got around to rectifying IMO. Which aligns with what is said above. Could it be a non issue now? Maybe? I also agree that having a car sit idle in the elements for that long is never good.

I will be very upset if I am offered one of these cars and have to reject it. Good news is I don’t recall seeing many reds in that batch.
The counter argument to this notion would be the fact that once you have a line building machinery fully operational, efficiency calls for you to continue the pace without interruptions. Hence if I were Tesla I would bring back the incomplete cars only when there's a forced slow down in the now fully operational line for one reason or another or at a specific predetermined time. Again just a few days ago someone wrote about how Tesla builds a whole model Y in 44 seconds and a 3 in less time. At that pace I can see how slowing down the line to bring in a previously incomplete car could slow things down. However much longer it takes them to build an S or an X, the argument can be extrapolated there.

It does not appear that those cars were moved or threaded back into the production line so I wonder if they are transporting them to a rework facility somewhere, doing the fixes, probably cleaning them up to 'like new' standards and then shipping to SCs OR they are doing the work at the SC which would make far more sense to distribute the work out.

It does not appear that those cars were moved or threaded back into the production line so I wonder if they are transporting them to a rework facility somewhere, doing the fixes, probably cleaning them up to 'like new' standards and then shipping to SCs OR they are doing the work at the SC which would make far more sense to distribute the work out.
I would have to speculate they needed more than just a replaceable part, like the new production has.
maybe a part was built out of spec, etc. and it wasn't easily replaceable.
for example, if it was a bad battery pack, no problem, take a new one off the shelf and you're done.
but if it was something serious? i don't think they needed a full on tear down ala sandy munroe, but it must have been something serious that maybe needed 400 or so customized pieces to fix.
i don't know they they couldn't be torn down, built back up, and then sold a week later, but clearly that didn't happen.
maybe it was something like the frame, and a weakness in an area, and customized "braces" were manufactured. if it was something structural, it would have to be done in a way that didn't affect the federal crash ratings, etc. or else perhaps there was an exception made for 400 cars.
we'll likely never know.

Reactions: RxVanco
minor update/whine fest to anyone who will listen.
i called an SA, finazlied a few things with my order, was told car is imminent...and the price just went up $10k. WTF?
they're looking into it now.
i'm not a happy camper.
if i had to guess, they took the $10k off for the FSD as i requested, and that price stuck until today.
and now the $10k is back, but no FSD.
only thing that makes sense, as my price should be $15k below current, versus $10k.