Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RN 1150 order placed 5/21/2021 for an MSM/cream/19”/no FSD. Delivery somewhere in NJ and I’m located in Burlington VT. Got countless one month bumps following the promised September 2021 delivery, which recently shrank to a 2 week window: 1/31 - 2/14.

My problem is that I’ve bought a Mitsubishi Outlander as a winter beater because of the Tesla delays. This car is so well put together, engineered and is so comfortable, that I just can’t trade it in for a model S without regrets.

My brother in law would like to take over my order, as it is $15k below the current MSRP. This may not be the right place to ask, but any advice on how to go about and ask Tesla to transfer the order agreement to him would be most welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance and all good wishes to everyone waiting for the Model S LR.

RN 1150 order placed 5/21/2021 for an MSM/cream/19”/no FSD. Delivery somewhere in NJ and I’m located in Burlington VT. Got countless one month bumps following the promised September 2021 delivery, which recently shrank to a 2 week window: 1/31 - 2/14.

My problem is that I’ve bought a Mitsubishi Outlander as a winter beater because of the Tesla delays. This car is so well put together, engineered and is so comfortable, that I just can’t trade it in for a model S without regrets.

My brother in law would like to take over my order, as it is $15k below the current MSRP. This may not be the right place to ask, but any advice on how to go about and ask Tesla to transfer the order agreement to him would be most welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance and all good wishes to everyone waiting for the Model S LR.
I saw a swap on this thread: 2022 Model S LR Reservation Transfer - December Delivery.

Probably best bet is to contact your sales advisor and ask what your options are. If you don't have a SA you could try the phone number in this post: 2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

• Informative
Reactions: chrisdh79

Turn over your Tesla account to your BIL. Have him change all the info he can. Then you’ll need a Tesla sales advisor to change the registration information and delivery location. The order agreement will still show your name, but that’s no biggie.

• Informative
Reactions: rdmdriving
And of course this morning slipped to 1/23-2/20.
I just read these posts and had a sinking feeling so I checked into my account. My S slipped as well. Not sure why, could be because I changed delivery location a few days ago and is finally reflected.

OTOH, I went from a narrow 2 week window to a range of a month. Anything that I've learned when it comes to a month window is the chaos monkey has lots of room to eff you over. Based on the delivery window, the M3 we just ordered might beat the S in.

Glad I found out now as I was about to put our Y up for sale. On the plus side, maybe we'll all get the new headlights and taillights.

My EDD just moved up from July to Mar 18 - 31. OD was 12/28, with an 1162 RN, for red/cream/19" and no FSD. Not sure I really believe this EDD yet based on what others have been seeing.

If this does hold true then I guess I can cancel my model 3 LR order. I was supposed to take delivery of that in Dec but had to put on hold because of some trade in issues. I was going to get that and drive for ~6 mo while waiting on the S. The EDDs for them are only about 2 months apart now though so probably doesn't make sense to get the 3.

In celebrating my 7 month Wait-a-versary, I am going to share the secret of the EDD logic.
Take your Order Date, add 3-4 months. Then check back in a month and see it blank. Then check back in another month and see that it’s now 4 months from the Order date. Then add 60 days plus another random 21-28 days. Then wait and look a month later and then subtract 1 month but add another 4 week slide. Finally, after waiting 6 or more months, check the EDD again and you will come to the final realization. Your car will be delivered when you have a, 1) VIN number, 2), the key card in hand, and 3) The car sitting right in front of you ready to go AFTER payment has been tendered. I guarantee you that if you follow this formula, you won’t be disappointed.

My EDD just moved up from July to Mar 18 - 31. OD was 12/28, with an 1162 RN, for red/cream/19" and no FSD. Not sure I really believe this EDD yet based on what others have been seeing.

If this does hold true then I guess I can cancel my model 3 LR order. I was supposed to take delivery of that in Dec but had to put on hold because of some trade in issues. I was going to get that and drive for ~6 mo while waiting on the S. The EDDs for them are only about 2 months apart now though so probably doesn't make sense to get the 3.
That's exciting, congrats! I ordered the same Red/Cream/19" on 1/9/2022 and have RN1163. No change for me though, still July 2022.

Here's some minor vomiting from the call I just had with an SA about 5 minutes ago:
my car isn't at the SC yet. it was scheduled to be there today, the SA thinks it may not have gotten there yet because of the storms, or it could be there and just not reflected.
MVPA can be changed pretty quickly.
then there are a couple of ways it goes - as Tesla and DCU are thick as thieves.
1) if I can show a receipt of payment from DCU to Texas, I'm golden.
2) if DCU is sending the check to me, i need to bring it in.

there are a bunch of conspiracy theorists about not paying Tesla in advance, etc. - I'm not overly worried about it. I'll be bringing in my car so that's a chunk right there. the rest is DCU and if I have to make up a small amount, I can wire it in. Folks had been talking about paying with Plaid, etc. - I'm not overly worried.

also, I always try to pimp for new info - no word on the factory retooling (usually they let the SA's know) and no word on the new lights in the USA, just overseas for now.

Here's some minor vomiting from the call I just had with an SA about 5 minutes ago:
my car isn't at the SC yet. it was scheduled to be there today, the SA thinks it may not have gotten there yet because of the storms, or it could be there and just not reflected.
MVPA can be changed pretty quickly.
then there are a couple of ways it goes - as Tesla and DCU are thick as thieves.
1) if I can show a receipt of payment from DCU to Texas, I'm golden.
2) if DCU is sending the check to me, i need to bring it in.

there are a bunch of conspiracy theorists about not paying Tesla in advance, etc. - I'm not overly worried about it. I'll be bringing in my car so that's a chunk right there. the rest is DCU and if I have to make up a small amount, I can wire it in. Folks had been talking about paying with Plaid, etc. - I'm not overly worried.

also, I always try to pimp for new info - no word on the factory retooling (usually they let the SA's know) and no word on the new lights in the USA, just overseas for now.
I was planning on just giving them a personal check. Does anybody know if this will work or do I need to do a wire transfer, certified check, etc.

I was planning on just giving them a personal check. Does anybody know if this will work or do I need to do a wire transfer, certified check, etc.
When I bought my M3 a few years ago they accepted personal check. There is probably a limit on that though (up to $2-3k is customary based on other dealer transactions I've been party to), so I'd ask your SA.

Edit: JeffN just posted that they no longer accept personal checks. Editing here to eliminate false information.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't accept personal checks anymore ( they used to, but no more ). I'm all but certain that you can still give them a certified (bank) check. But the Tesla app makes an electronic funds transfer easy. You download the app, log into your account, and you should see your order. From there, at the appropriate time, Tesla will prompt you to pay using the app. For me, since I'm paying cash, I just provided my bank routing number, and my checking account number, and Tesla pulls the money from my checking account.

Tesla doesn't accept personal checks anymore ( they used to, but no more ). I'm all but certain that you can still give them a certified (bank) check. But the Tesla app makes an electronic funds transfer easy. You download the app, log into your account, and you should see your order. From there, at the appropriate time, Tesla will prompt you to pay using the app. For me, since I'm paying cash, I just provided my bank routing number, and my checking account number, and Tesla pulls the money from my checking account.
Very interesting. So you didn't have to provide the user ID and password to your bank account as others on here have said is necessary?

Reactions: JeffN
Thanks. Sounds easy. EFT just like I pay other bills.
Paper checks should go the way of the dodo. When I lived is Switzerland 15 years ago, they had abolished paper checks. Can't believe US still hangs on.

Very interesting. So you didn't have to provide the user ID and password to your bank account as others on here have said is necessary?
Yes, you do have to provide authentication information for your bank. It's done through a third party service called "Plaid" ( no relation to the Tesla Model S Plaid ). My financial advisory firm uses this Plaid service to gain access to my financial assets in external platforms, and it's never been a problem for me. If you're not comfortable using the Plaid service, you should be able to bring a certified bank check with you when you pick up the vehicle. Of course, you should confirm this with Tesla.