Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. I had dinner with Elon yesterday. He gave me a free MS Plaid with 19" wheels.
IMG_1990.jpeg

hope you had fun your date with elon!

Reactions: Arunks and Zaker89
People made fun of me that I didn't know what I was talking about with this, but it is true. Nobody is willing to say what's happening publicly but I have it on pretty good authority (and some speculation) that this is battery related. I'm genuinely concerned about a repeat of 'nerfing' the new Plaid/LR battery design much like tesla did to the 85 packs.
Uggghhh. I think there is a good possibility you may be correct.

This has to be pretty serious to stop shipments. They're so far behind they have to know more delays are going to cause issues (complaints/cancellations). I know you guys say Tesla doesn't give a *sugar* about complaints, and I agree, they mostly don't. But nobody wants to keep fielding calls and more bad press about delays and then add more delays just for something minor.

I've been very hopeful it'll be a software fix, but hadn't really thought about the prospect of them nerfing the cars, but that is such a Tesla thing to do.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and t00taloo
People made fun of me that I didn't know what I was talking about with this, but it is true. Nobody is willing to say what's happening publicly but I have it on pretty good authority (and some speculation) that this is battery related. I'm genuinely concerned about a repeat of 'nerfing' the new Plaid/LR battery design much like tesla did to the 85 packs.
For us newbies, what do you mean by "nerfing", thanks.

For us newbies, what do you mean by "nerfing", thanks.
Tesla identifies a root cause of a pack issue and limits the potential of the pack so that it can't reach that thermal runaway issue. For example, with the 85 packs, there was a voltage detection problem so it took tesla roughly ~2 years to develop a really cleaver workaround to overcome that concern. During that 2 year period, 85kwh packs were (secretly and with a large outcry by customers) limited in range and charge rate significantly compared to what was advertized. Here's a nice write-up of that saga by the famous Jason Huges:

I have zero evidence that is going to happen with the new Plaid/LR packs on these cars. I'm just concerned that may be what's happening - Tesla is searching for a cleaver software-based workaround to prevent what happened in the recent battery fire. They may accomplish this, or something else may happen. My concern is they'll limit the capability of the battery packs - without telling customers - which changes what we're actually buying, potentially.

I got a call today from Fremont asking if I had any questions regarding my order. I asked about the hold on cars and they said they have had some held back but there wasn't any sort of announcement regarding the holds about all cars.
To add to this, i asked my guy i know here locally that works for Tesla and he said he wasnt aware of any issues with holds and deliveries were going on as scheduled.

Reactions: Ormond and Zaker89
I got a call today from Fremont asking if I had any questions regarding my order. I asked about the hold on cars and they said they have had some held back but there wasn't any sort of announcement regarding the holds about all cars.
To add to this, i asked my guy i know here locally that works for Tesla and he said he wasnt aware of any issues with holds and deliveries were going on as scheduled.
Well that all is very confusing. Or par for the course with Tesla.

Reactions: Zaker89
I just called Tesla Costa Mesa, which is my delivery location and SA there told me there are no issues with model S deliveries and they've been doing it.

She told me once VIN is assigned to my account and delivered to the SC, there will be no limitation of delivering it to me.

I had a call from my SA. She confirmed that there is a hold on all MS produced within the last three weeks pending inspections. Evidently, Elon was walking the production line and left his Bitcoin wallet in one of the vehicles. When the wallet is returned to Elon, the vehicles will be released.

DISCLAIMER: I may have been dreaming. I don’t have a SA.