Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had the SA try the front passenger door, he agreed that it seemed to take more effort than it should to close, though he wasn't so sure on the driver's door. He brought the QA guy to look at it, but that guy just slammed it and said it was fine. His suggestion was that maybe everything is still new and give stuff a bit of time for seals to compress and things to loosen up. Maybe? I think it just needs adjustment.

The SA offered to keep the car and fix it, but they both agreed that if there was a problem with closing the door, even after the 100 miles/however many days initial grace period, it would be a warranty issue so I decided to take the car instead. The SA made some sort of note about it. 🤷‍♂️ On the one hand, I've been waiting for the car since December and I could have waited another couple of days, but on the other hand, I've been waiting for the car since December and I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW. Plus I had just spent 45 minutes in a Lyft talking about the driver's dog and didn't really want to do it again next week.

The driver's door doesn't take an unreasonable amount of force to close, but every time I get out of the car and close it, I have to try a second time because it didn't catch. When I tried to demonstrate it to the SA, it worked every time 😅 so it's clearly not that bad. The passenger side is noticeably worse but it does close. Dunno.
I remember having to use extra force to close some of my doors on my 2016 S when I first got it, but they did "loosen up" over about a month

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinny860
Y'all. Y'all! I picked up the car today, finally! I walked around it at the SA and only found a couple of minor things; overall the fit and finish seem great. I'd take photos but it's pouring down rain at the moment. Manufacturing date says August btw.

There are a few minor issues that will need to be fixed (the front doors, particularly the front passenger door, take a moderate shove to fully close; also there's some bag of insulating foam that's loose behind the driver's side front quarter panel) but mostly it's great. I'll be doing a more detailed inspection tomorrow though.

I thought I would leave the front license plate holder alone, but ... man it sticks way out. Like OK, I get that it sticks out just farther than the lip of the front bumper but ... ew. I'm considering a couple of options; one is to just yank the thing off like everyone else (the SA actually suggested it, even though front plates are supposedly required here in TX) and another is to design->3D print->have made a thinner plate mount. The plate mount sticks out probably 1/2" farther than the previous one did and I'd bet a slimmer one would look a lot better. I also think it'll look better with nothing, so ... undecided.

I'm going to park the 2018 and 2021 next to each other to check some of these out, but just from initial impressions, comparing the two:
  • The frunk seems a bit smaller? It could just be me though. The little sub-trunk in the back also seems smaller, and the two-section lid for that is now just one section.
  • The underside of the hood seems ... unfinished. I never really noticed it on the 2018 so maybe it's the same but over the actual frunk part it seems like the 2018 has something? There are a bunch of big gaps in the brace that goes around the frunk seal and paint spray doesn't totally get inside them.
  • The frunk, when open, is not stable at all - the struts are fine, and it stays open, but on the 2018 when you open it, it is stable. With the new one there are at least a couple of inches of wobble if you shake it.
  • Closing the frunk takes a lot more effort too. I almost feel like it's just not adjusted quite right, but you really have to shove it to close. The SA also seemed to think this was normal.
  • Granted it was hot and sunny when I picked it up, but I noticed more heat radiating from the glass roof than I remember on the 2018, and the A/C seemed to not be quite as cold as the 2018. That said, when I got home (~45 minutes) I realized that the A/C was set to manual, not auto, so I'm going to re-evaluate.
Inside is really nice. Didn't hear any squeaks or rattles, road noise was pretty good though honestly I thought the 2018 was also pretty good. I know the cream isn't for everyone but I really like it. The subwoofer is a bit weak, though it looks like in newer software there's an adjustment for that (this one came with 2021.11.102). The hubcaps ... look like hubcaps. I'm leaving them on for a bit but I'm going to take a trip around Beltway 8 (80+ miles, probably, I've never driven the whole circle before) once with the hubcaps and once without just to try to get an idea of the actual impact on mileage. I already bought center caps and covers for the lug nuts so I can run without the hubcaps but if someone makes slipstream-look wheels that are 19-20" and they aren't absurdly expensive I'm definitely going to consider that.

Anyway I had actual work to do today, so I'm getting back to that but this is the most excited I've been about a car since ... well since I got the 2018 Model S. Wheee!
Let me know if you need a copilot around the Beltway! Very curious about your results here. Enjoy your car, look forward to seeing you around.

Frunk is definitely smaller. Seen in several YouTube videos. Interesting about the wobble and stability, had not heard about that.

I think they also noted that the underside was unfinished. I cannot recall if mine was unfinished for a 2019 Raven LR S.

Reactions: Vinny860
When I had the SA try the front passenger door, he agreed that it seemed to take more effort than it should to close, though he wasn't so sure on the driver's door. He brought the QA guy to look at it, but that guy just slammed it and said it was fine. His suggestion was that maybe everything is still new and give stuff a bit of time for seals to compress and things to loosen up. Maybe? I think it just needs adjustment.

The SA offered to keep the car and fix it, but they both agreed that if there was a problem with closing the door, even after the 100 miles/however many days initial grace period, it would be a warranty issue so I decided to take the car instead. The SA made some sort of note about it. 🤷‍♂️ On the one hand, I've been waiting for the car since December and I could have waited another couple of days, but on the other hand, I've been waiting for the car since December and I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW. Plus I had just spent 45 minutes in a Lyft talking about the driver's dog and didn't really want to do it again next week.

The driver's door doesn't take an unreasonable amount of force to close, but every time I get out of the car and close it, I have to try a second time because it didn't catch. When I tried to demonstrate it to the SA, it worked every time 😅 so it's clearly not that bad. The passenger side is noticeably worse but it does close. Dunno.
For the door issue, I actually had the same issue on my Model 3. Sure enough, it did go away after a "break in" period so just give it a month or so

• Informative
Reactions: Vinny860 and MEL-22
Picked up my S LR today! Everything is great, except they put summer Pirelli’s on my 19s and I live in MA. Service Center can swap them for All Seasons, but maybe I should just ask them for a discount on some winter tires? Thoughts?
I’m in MA as well and I want those all seasons. Did they offer to swap for free? Otherwise I’m going to be annoyed I didn’t go for 21s since I end up needing to swap tires anyways…

Reactions: SgtPepper67
I’m in MA as well and I want those all seasons. Did they offer to swap for free? Otherwise I’m going to be annoyed I didn’t go for 21s since I end up needing to swap tires anyways…
Check out my post #745 from another thread. Happy to be of assistance to anyone if I can.

Mine is a cream RN1149. I was originally edd September, then got pushed to November and two weeks ago it got pushed to December/January :(

seems like they pushed out a bunch of cream orders early and may have run out of parts…
No they're just starting to fill the backlog of all the white orders while they've been filling all the other ones. There's still tons of way earlier RNs than yours.

Imagine you had my RN, and saw a 1149 with a Sept date, and your at a Nov-Dec date (as I was a day ago). Would you feel differently?

BTW. Yes. This is taking forever. But, as I start to see my business slow as well due to other outside component constraints, I think the fact Tesla is still pumping out cars theyre doing damn good to pivot.

Random question…may be a dumb one but I’ve never owned a Tesla or seen a new one in person since they don’t keep inventory….

Do Tesla’s have that mew car smell we all love? :)

Yes they do, I got Model 3 on July 5th for my son. Once I drove it, I ordered S for myself. It does have a new car smell for at least for model 3

Reactions: EightYears
I remember having to use extra force to close some of my doors on my 2016 S when I first got it, but they did "loosen up" over about a month

For the door issue, I actually had the same issue on my Model 3. Sure enough, it did go away after a "break in" period so just give it a month or so

It's great to hear this sort of thing. Since they said it would be a warranty issue if the doors need adjusting, I'm probably going to leave it alone for now ... in a week or so if I'm no longer having to shut the door twice every time, I'll probably just let it go.

Alright...I couldn't help myself! My date moved from Sept 2-5 to 3-6 after getting a VIN on the 2nd so I called Tesla to get an update and they said they showed on their end that the car did arrive in Phoenix today and I'd be getting a text sometime soon with the next steps.

Well...ain't nobody got time for that! :p I saw a few weeks ago on a local Tesla Facebook group a post on where the Tesla cars were being stored pre-delivery and took a quick drive and there she was, one of many! :D

Freaking beautiful! The outside is not a huge difference from the previous as everyone knows, and I bought the exact same color so. Definitely like the new front bumper vs the old, the old just looks outdated compared to the new. Walked around and checked for any defects, all looked good except on the driver side hood, the rubber seal there was kind of sticking out, but that's something they may fix before I ever go pick it up for real.

Now the interior, damn! I did not expect the door handles to pop out when I push don them but they sure did! :) As others have said, it just feels so much more upscale. Of course a big part of that is just the fact that it's brand new...the seats are soft and that new car smell is intoxicating! I've had my late 2016 coming up on 5 years now so sitting in a brand new car is always nice. Love the wood color, definitely much darker than I expected, which is a good thing to me. The yoke...the freaking yoke...is awesome! It just looks and feels cool as hell! We'll see what driving it feels like but from a visual standpoint, it's a knockout! The whole dash just feels next level...I got back in my Jeep Gladiator I was driving and I'm like wth is this round thing??? :D I wasn't as wowed by the new horizontal screen as I've heard others mentioned, it's comparable to the old vertical one, just sideways, but didn't really feel any bigger to me (I did not try to use it, I'm sure its considerably faster which will add to the experience).

Now I did look for the known defects, such as the vein/worm and thought its very very subtle, at least in the light I was viewing the car in. Definitely did not bother me sitting in the driver's seat but again, it could be the lighting at the time of day/angle. Now what I did notice right away which I don't think I've seen others mention here were several "cracks" in the seat backs and bottoms. These will need to be replaced by service. I went around and looked at 3 other LR's and one other had the same defect while two were perfect. The left side of the steering wheel also appears scratched. I didnt actually notice this in person, but saw it looking at my pictures afterwards. Maybe it has some film that needs to be peeled off?

Now quick question for anyone - what should I expect at this point? Is it reasonable that I may get to pick this up tomorrow? Do they do deliveries on Sundays? There was a paper on the dash that said "Ready for VDT" and they had already done something to the car obviously like pull off the wrapping.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Yes they’ll swap for free. I’m thinking along the same lines. I usually go the mountains or Berkshires in October and don’t want to get caught in a freak snowstorm with summer tires still on.

Just musing here:

1. Speaker performance in all but the most recent software version (2021.35.5) is not great. With that version, it appears to be noticeably and meaningfully better, e.g. you can tell a subwoofer exists.
2. Cars generally arrive with older software, and take weeks to get on the update train.
3. Suppose you complain about speaker performance (and missing tri-zone climate, etc.) when taking delivery, and ask for the latest software to please fix.

What are the odds that SAs will oblige, under the circumstances?

Just musing here:

1. Speaker performance in all but the most recent software version (2021.35.5) is not great. With that version, it appears to be noticeably and meaningfully better, e.g. you can tell a subwoofer exists.
2. Cars generally arrive with older software, and take weeks to get on the update train.
3. Suppose you complain about speaker performance (and missing tri-zone climate, etc.) when taking delivery, and ask for the latest software to please fix.

What are the odds that SAs will oblige, under the circumstances?
From what I understand you can ask with service to have your car put in the next update group. SA can't do it. It's some backend engineering group that batches out the updates