Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS 19” Tempest Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long before delivery have people been receiving their VINs? I had an estimated delivery of 9/13-9/30 that got moved to 9/2-9/16 yesterday not sure if I should get excited or brace for disappointment

Got my vin a week ago when the window was 4 days and 9/11 to 9/14. My new window is 6 days but earlier to 9/6 to 9/12. No calls. I called them for a quick payment discussion on process (though demanding payment via Tesla page, can bring cashiers check that day) and then he asked me to send a pic of my registration and plate. I told them I uploaded insurance information months ago on current car but was swapping plates at delivery from that car to the Tesla too. Thats when he asked for the pics. No contact from anyone else yet. 9/6 to 12th!! 😳 Tracking for me to be one of those that gets the be here at this time notices…which is a ok.
, but earlier.

As the EDD for my MS-LR is nearing I have been reevaluating the value proposition of buying FSD with the car. In addition to the higher one time sales tax and yearly increase in property tax I wonder what value it adds? Granted it would be nice to impress your friends/relatives but from a practical stand point I don't see it's worth. By my calculation if one took monthly subscription at $199 then the $10K FSD purchase is equivalent to 50 months of subscription or 4.2 years. I am assuming that the subscription will stay at $199, which may not be the case. For these kind of savings one can subscribe to FSD when they are going out of town or for some other pertinent reason.

If my hypothesis is valid then why would anyone buy FSD? One possible reason can be that one uses the Tesla as a Uber/Lyft car and it would be easier on the person to let FSD drive. The other reason - Robotaxi? For that to happen FSD would have to reach level 3 or 5 that may be 5 years away.

Would appreciate your feedback.

For these kind of savings one can subscribe to FSD when they are going out of town or for some other pertinent reason.
Yep, you could easily turn it on and off. But as you said, you are at the mercy of Elon and his pricing structure. Could change on a whim.
If my hypothesis is valid then why would anyone buy FSD?
Lock in the price. Pay for it fully in the loan. Fund the R&D.

Reactions: MAHahh
As the EDD for my MS-LR is nearing I have been reevaluating the value proposition of buying FSD with the car. In addition to the higher one time sales tax and yearly increase in property tax I wonder what value it adds? Granted it would be nice to impress your friends/relatives but from a practical stand point I don't see it's worth. By my calculation if one took monthly subscription at $199 then the $10K FSD purchase is equivalent to 50 months of subscription or 4.2 years. I am assuming that the subscription will stay at $199, which may not be the case. For these kind of savings one can subscribe to FSD when they are going out of town or for some other pertinent reason.

If my hypothesis is valid then why would anyone buy FSD? One possible reason can be that one uses the Tesla as a Uber/Lyft car and it would be easier on the person to let FSD drive. The other reason - Robotaxi? For that to happen FSD would have to reach level 3 or 5 that may be 5 years away.

My two cents is that since FSD is “full self driving” in name only, I wouldn’t pay $1,000 for it, let alone $10,000. Perhaps one day when it’s more than just an incremental advance over autopilot, I could see the justification, but even then I enjoy driving so FSD will probably never be something I’ll check the box for.

Just got confirmation email from Tesla that my car was delivered with summer tires in error snd that they’ll be swapping them for AS in the future!! Very happy about that.

Attachments

• 669F5B78-C3AA-4ECE-9F26-A4DD7372BFA9.jpeg
    669F5B78-C3AA-4ECE-9F26-A4DD7372BFA9.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 4C9D9DC6-C8CF-4799-9E40-42AE6D526FE5.jpeg
    4C9D9DC6-C8CF-4799-9E40-42AE6D526FE5.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 56

Buying FSD is a personal choice, so each will have their own opinions. I feel strongly that it is overpriced for the value it is likely to deliver, however, so was the $2K I paid for Cadillac's first STS with adaptive cruise control nearly 20 years ago. I happen to really like the hi-tech features it brings. I know I'd end up paying for the subscription if I didn't pay for it up front. So for me, the question comes down to subscription versus pay up front.

The economics as you stated are not great for paying up front unless you consider that historically the hardware upgrades have been free for those with the prepaid option and it has already been shown HW upgrades are not free on the subscription. With a new gen of hardware already being openly discussed by Musk for a year or so from now, that is a consideration. Also, as long as Tesla doesn't choose to differentiate between Uber/Lyft commercial drivers and those of us that buy our car for our own use, the price of the subscription will likely rise as FSD gets closer to real.

One final comment about Tesla's dream of us making money off our cars... it is obvious to me that none of the current Teslas are designed to be sent around without drivers. Not only would the presence of driver controls present an issue, but there is no cabin surveillance to prevent destruction of the car (other than one camera recently added). I don't see any of us letting our cars drive off all day without us with the hopes of it coming back in the same condition it went out.

Reactions: cwanja and RobK
My SA told me to expect my 19" with summer tires. Ugh. I live in Cleveland, OH where winter can be awful too. Delivery is 9/10. If you all are starting to see all season tires, I'd love to go into my delivery with some ammunition to get a free change.
I think I’m the first…at least the first who posted. And @DukeofURL also has a commitment from his SA/SC. It should not be a surprise , as I was told this was escalated and ultimately approved by corporate.

Reactions: pacent and cwanja
Might need a bit of a tighter window - maybe seven days. And then you could get a VIN. Someone yesterday went from 10 days of 9/8 - 9/28 then to 9/1 - 9/8. Then they got a VIN last night. So maybe you could in the next couple of days given 9/2 as the start of your estimated delivery date. But You might need it to tighten up.

Difference is they were "Bay Area", which is 30 minutes from the factory. Not sure where you are in California, that could require a day or so of logistics (truck). All in all, could see it go both ways.
Lol good thing I listened to you and didn’t let myself get excited. Went from 13-30 to 2-16 now to 9-29. And so it continues.

Reactions: cwanja
Never heard of anyone getting their "non-refundable" deposit back. Would love for someone to post some proof of that actually happening.
Well, deposits can be refunded, but when I placed my MS order there was no deposit (there was a "non-refundable order fee"). There was a deposit on the CyberTruck. I have previously had a deposit refunding on my initial M3 order a few years ago. Those with MS orders from 2020 may have deposits, but not in 2021.

Reactions: bhzmark
Alright, mine just got real as well! I think we're in the same boat @Nickie. My status just moved yesterday from 9/12-30 to 9/2-12. I'm picking up at Fremont and no VIN yet. I have a base MSLR ordered 3/11/21. I just applied/approved at BofA this morning and I'm set.

My order has FSD, but I'm going to drop it after I get my VIN and buy it outside my loan to keep it out of my registration fee (CA vehicle property tax).

This *sugar* is getting real!
So much for this getting real... my EDD just moved from 9/2-9/12 to 9/13-9/30 this morning. I guess that was to be expected in NorCal since the first few weeks of Sept are mainly shipping out of the area.