Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR high pitched whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen posts about this issue on the MY and M3 forums, but not for the refreshed model S. I get a high pitched whine (sounds like a dental instrument) during acceleration that is most noticeable around 30-70mph. It comes and goes and oscillates at times too. In the MY forum they mention a missing penthouse perimeter seal that fixed the issue on some cars. I have a service scheduled, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolution for their refreshed Model S. Thanks.

I had the same whine in my S Long Range Plus 2020 and I sell that car, impossible to have a quiet road trip without music.

In june 2020 Tesla made « optimise » the front gear box to get the 400 miles for Elon and the engineer « loose » the gear box to have 2% more range, you will have this info here.

Thats the main problem with the whine and Tesla engineer know it very well.

The Montreal service center even change my front motor without any improvement.

After 6 year with model S (I had an 75D before), I owned actually an M3P too, I m looking for german ev (eqs, iX, taycan) who will not cut comfort for range like Tesla.

I’m vey sad because I loved that car and I had the unlimited supercharger with it.

That’s my story !

Reactions: jacie6056
My '22 S Plaid did not make that sound during the first 2,400 miles of ownership then 200 miles into a road trip this past weekend it started and is terribly annoying. I messaged Tesla service and had this added to the very long list of things that need to be addressed during my service appointment this week. Not acceptable. Had it always done it, I'd believe them when they said it's a feature not a flaw. Knowing it did not do it before this past weekend, it is not normal.

My '22 S Plaid did not make that sound during the first 2,400 miles of ownership then 200 miles into a road trip this past weekend it started and is terribly annoying. I messaged Tesla service and had this added to the very long list of things that need to be addressed during my service appointment this week. Not acceptable. Had it always done it, I'd believe them when they said it's a feature not a flaw. Knowing it did not do it before this past weekend, it is not normal.

My '21 Plaid did it from day one. Around the 67mph region. I have music on 99.9% of the time so tune it out, but I can definitely see people cruising at around this speed with no tunes on, - being annoyed by it. All EVs make high-pitched sounds, mind...

Has anyone tried adding some kind of sound deadening around the front motor? It seems like the older versions of the Model S had this type of insulation, but I don't see it on the Refresh.

1675206760164.png

I did a test with the car in neutral, and the milling/gear noise is pretty much unchanged. To me, that means the noise is not from the electrons moving around during acceleration, coasting or regen. And since the sound is directly related to the speed, I would rule out any part of the cooling system.

Last edited:
So depressing to see threads from 8 years ago of people talking about the same problem. Takes out any hope that Tesla will "figure something out soon" for your new 2023 car.

I have not heard it in my brand new 2023 MSLR with only about 100 miles on the odo. But my 2021 Model 3 LR has this exact noise between 58-61 MPH. I have not brought it in yet fearing I'd be told it's "within spec".

That's what I was told.

The noise is not there on my 2020 Model 3 LR or the 2021 MY LR.

Isn't it wonderful that I have to make sure music is on to drown out annoying sounds on a $100K car that is brand new? Makes me feel like I am driving my pos beater in college 30 years ago, lol.

Last edited:
That's what I was told.

The noise is not there on my 2020 Model 3 LR or the 2021 MY LR.

Isn't it wonderful that I have to make sure music is on to drown out annoying sounds on a $100K car that is brand new? Makes me feel like I am driving my pos beater in college 30 years ago, lol.
I hear you. Once you hear the high pitch noise, you cannot "unheard" it. You brain almost subconsciously look for the noise once you get to a particular speed. I'm sure more folks have it out there but either are unaware of what they are hearing, have music on way too loud or are older and cannot hear high pitch sounds.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Just checking in to see if anyone’s found a solution to this yet? I’m thinking it has to be a drive unit issue, but it’d be nice to know exactly what to tell the technicians the next time I try to get them to take care of it.