Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't guarantee the new wheels and tires are balanced correctly. As I've said before, road force balancing is an intricate process and you can be sure if they're doing it at Fremont they are not paying any attention whatsoever as the main goal is to churn out cars as fast as humanly possible.

I had vibrations at 70,80,90mph. I had my wheels balanced 2x at Tesla, but never solved it. Went to a Porsche dealer, paid $300 US and was instantly fixed.

called Porsche Dallas, my local dealer and they would not do it. I don't see why it matters who does it anyway. The machine is all computer software and does it all by computer right?

Reactions: James Cole
I have this issue on my 2022 with the 21s on Michelins. They road forced them 4-5 times at this point. Checked for bent wheels and everything.

Ended up swapping down to the 19s with Conti All seasons and it still vibrates over 70. It’s driving me insane. I don’t think it’s the wheels. There’s something else we’re missing.

I have mobile service coming for something else on Monday. Will ask to take a drive.

Any update?

called Porsche Dallas, my local dealer and they would not do it. I don't see why it matters who does it anyway. The machine is all computer software and does it all by computer right?
No, it's not all computer software... the act of putting the tires onto the wheels is an art in itself. With all due respect, I don't think many in this forum understand the physical process of road force balancing. I encourage everyone with this vibration issue to watch this video ACTUAL Road Force Balancing Process and then ask yourself, do you really believe the Tesla service centre or even a discount tire has the time or care to do this perfectly?

Reactions: bkcyk
No, it's not all computer software... the act of putting the tires onto the wheels is an art in itself. With all due respect, I don't think many in this forum understand the physical process of road force balancing. I encourage everyone with this vibration issue to watch this video ACTUAL Road Force Balancing Process and then ask yourself, do you really believe the Tesla service centre or even a discount tire has the time or care to do this perfectly?

I’ve had lots of other cars with no vibration at that speed. Just find it hard to believe your solution would solve an issue I have that is the exact same with 2 sets of wheels and tires that have the exact same vibration at the exact same speed. (I would be more inclined to think it might help if not for new wheels and tires)

Reactions: James Cole
I’ve had lots of other cars with no vibration at that speed. Just find it hard to believe your solution would solve an issue I have that is the exact same with 2 sets of wheels and tires that have the exact same vibration at the exact same speed. (I would be more inclined to think it might help if not for new wheels and tires)

Does your sets of wheels have similar specs in size and weight?

Thinking this factors may affect harmonics on shafts/motor assembly.

They are the exact same 21 arachnid wheels from factory that were replaced by Tesla. Same vibration with both sets
So there shouldnt be any change on the vibration considering that the problem is not on the wheels or tires.

Changing wheel/tire weight, height and/or offset will make the vibrations better or worse because of its total effect on half-shaft/motor harmonics.

i think that is to address the 40-50 mph vibration i believe
These issues may well be related. The 40-50mph vibration is actually a little wider than that. I can feel it from mid 30s to early 50s and even then above 50s I’m sure it’s still there but masked by road “noise” (surface etc) and general vibration. It’s possible the next vibration “step” is about 80mph. Mine does it, too.

These issues may well be related. The 40-50mph vibration is actually a little wider than that. I can feel it from mid 30s to early 50s and even then above 50s I’m sure it’s still there but masked by road “noise” (surface etc) and general vibration. It’s possible the next vibration “step” is about 80mph. Mine does it, too.

Does it feel like tires are unbalanced after 80? I think the 40-50 mph vibration my 2021 msp had was a driveshaft vibration because it goes away in track mode with 100% rear bias. The 80+ is unaffected

Mine is more pedal shake, but yes. Unchsnged in track mode
This may a bit of a science experiment, but I'd be curious if your vibrations are more tied to the vehicle transnational speed or the wheel speed.

If you consider the whole tire/wheel diameter, then if you did you vibration test with 21" wheels and then swapped them out for 19" wheels, I'm curious if the speed at which your vibrations would start would change. If so, then the problem would have to exist with a component that's rotating or interacting with the wheels.

If you could find a surface to securely mount an accelerometer to, you may be able to better isolate the location by seeing where the vibration amplitude is highest.

Reactions: Propofoln
So with my car at the service center for it’s 7th time, Tesla informed me that the 80+ mph vibration is a know issue now with certain 2023 VINs and they are investigating the cause. They don’t know the cause. They are initiating a buyback request. I’ll see what they offer me.

So with my car at the service center for it’s 7th time, Tesla informed me that the 80+ mph vibration is a know issue now with certain 2023 VINs and they are investigating the cause. They don’t know the cause. They are initiating a buyback request. I’ll see what they offer me.
Certain 2023 VINs, despite it also occurring on 2022 VINs, too, and probably 2021s. Lolz. Let us know what they offer you.