Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the factory reset bug and when does it happen??? It sounds very inconvenient!
If you are using a third-party logging application and your car shows as offline, it is possible that the bug is rearing its ugly head. Other then that, there is no real way to tell when (or if) it is going to happen. But it happens after you scroll wheel restart your car.

And the bug is just what it seems - it resets your entire car (profiles, settings, etc.) back to factory. As if you just got the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximus023
So as far as I can tell, the USB in the glovebox is the only one that will fit a flashdrive. The ones in the front console seem to only be for phone chargers. I am using the tesla flashdrive in glovebox for sentry mode, and I added a boombox file on it with 5 sounds. However it will not read the boombox file. Do you need to have a separate flash drive for boombox? Anyway to connect something in front console for boombox because pulling those flashdrives in and out of the glovebox is a major pain and not a realistic daily function.

Does anyone else keep seeing "Navigate on autopilot" and "Traffic light and stop sign control beta" go gray/disabled? I've had it on and working a couple times before… I'm on wifi and maps appear to be up to date. I've also tried normal and advanced for software updates.
View attachment 698816View attachment 698817
Every once in a while, I see some FSD features go off-line (NoA, auto lane change, park asset). Reboot fixes it.

Reactions: Maximus023
So as far as I can tell, the USB in the glovebox is the only one that will fit a flashdrive. The ones in the front console seem to only be for phone chargers. I am using the tesla flashdrive in glovebox for sentry mode, and I added a boombox file on it with 5 sounds. However it will not read the boombox file. Do you need to have a separate flash drive for boombox? Anyway to connect something in front console for boombox because pulling those flashdrives in and out of the glovebox is a major pain and not a realistic daily function.

I had the same issue: I thought I'd consolidate the Boombox files on the Sentry drive in the glovebox. Doesn't work. I had to use a separate drive in the center console for Boombox. Not that it matters, - Boombox doesn't remember any of my driving/summon custom files anyway. Yet another aspect of the software that is utterly broken at the moment.

I had the same issue: I thought I'd consolidate the Boombox files on the Sentry drive in the glovebox. Doesn't work. I had to use a separate drive in the center console for Boombox. Not that it matters, - Boombox doesn't remember any of my driving/summon custom files anyway. Yet another aspect of the software that is utterly broken at the moment.
@WilliamG what kind of drive did you use in the center console? The two that are there are the smaller USB C (? i think) ports that your phone uses. Not a regular sized USB.

In .3 it remembers I have coconuts set as the summons sound, so that is progress. I have not tried using a sound file off the USB stick yet. It resets (turns off) the drive sound every time the car restarts, but not sure if the is a bug or working as intended.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
@WilliamG what kind of drive did you use in the center console? The two that are there are the smaller USB C (? i think) ports that your phone uses. Not a regular sized USB.

I'm using a 512GB SSD in the center console. Total overkill, but it's what I have lying around. I'll probably move that to the glove box for Sentry duty, and relocate the 128GB Tesla drive with a USB A->C adapter.

If you are using a third-party logging application and your car shows as offline, it is possible that the bug is rearing its ugly head. Other then that, there is no real way to tell when (or if) it is going to happen. But it happens after you scroll wheel restart your car.

And the bug is just what it seems - it resets your entire car (profiles, settings, etc.) back to factory. As if you just got the car.
I’ve been using Tessie and so far so good. Also after a couple hours of being unplugged I just went down to check and now the auto pilot stuff is back! Let’s see how long it stays…

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
Every once in a while, I see some FSD features go off-line (NoA, auto lane change, park asset). Reboot fixes it.
I’ve rebooted multiple times and even powered off the car, but it never fixed it. I’m not sure what fixed it this time other than it wasn’t plugged in for a few hours. I also opened up a ticket with Tesla so not sure if they had a hand in it.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Mine has been off with .3 as well. I have it set to 80%. I have been seeing 80%, 81% and 82%.

I installed .4 last night.
Anyone seeing their overnight charging being off since .3? Normally I charge to 90% every night and that has worked fine. The last couple of nights the car has charged to 92%
On 2021.12.4.9 still, and I see anything from 79% to 87% (with it set to 80%). Just another software bug that’s been around for ages. My Model 3 would charge anywhere from 79% to 83-84% depending on the day. The S with an 87% is a new high. Most days it’s fine (80-81%) but these random spikes are plain bizarre.

Anyone seeing their overnight charging being off since .3? Normally I charge to 90% every night and that has worked fine. The last couple of nights the car has charged to 92%
*Sometimes* this is the car balancing cells. As my model Y which is on 12.25.7 does this. And has done this from time to time. Specially if it’s really warm where its charging. And sometimes it’s a bug. 1-3% I wouldn’t sweat but above that is for sure a bug. Just like in the winter you will see it charge to 80% and stay plugged in, then in the morning it will be 78%. Temp can effect it.