Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i didn't say in the country. it's the same sales tax rate as any other car sold in your state according to the article. sucks. looks like you pay a VLT (vehicle license tax), which:
"The VLT is paid during vehicle registration and is assessed in place of a personal property tax often charged in other states. The VLT funds transportation infrastructure in Arizona, including highways, bridges and local roads, and contributes to the general funds of cities/towns and counties."
Meaning this isn't a yearly thing, it's one time during registration.

Then, again, this is changing so VLT is calculated the same by 2023 to the same as a traditional car purchase, no longer incentivizing an EV purchase.
"Per ARS 28-5805, beginning in 2023, alternative fuel vehicles will be assessed VLT using the same formula used for traditional vehicles. This phased-in approach will make the VLT formula used for alternative fuel vehicles the same as the formula used for traditional cars and trucks, bringing fairness to VLT assessments for all vehicles."

@bmms8 that isn't what the 60% is if you look at the AZ calculations, it's:

or AFVs registered after Dec. 31, 2022:​

The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV will be calculated using the same formula used for traditional cars and trucks. The VLT has a rate of $2.80 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:
  • For the first year, the assessed value is 60% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV.

anyways, all it is is AZ is getting rid of the incentive for a EV, EV will now have to do the same VLT as any other car. so, yes, i'd try to take delivery before the end of 2022 :)

In ohio, wouldn't $25/year be your registration? not sales tax. in GA we pay ad valorem, 6.6% of fair market value of the vehicle. then for EVs it's $213.88/year (whilst ICE is $25/year) because of the lack of use tax that EVs don't pay in gas tax.

Sort of an aside, but FYI all of these large upfront vehicle tax programs were 1000% a result of large dealer network lobbying. It strongly de-incentivizes buying a cheapish used car. Instead you buy a new car, roll as much as possible into the loan. This was a big thing in the early 2000's as states swapped over to this newer method.

Will say, a bit shocked that all these went blank with the "new estimator" Tesla has in place. Most orders that had just a month changed to a date range without going blank first.

In fact, I have an order (non-white interior) that was March and went to December 13 - January 2 without a blank in between.

Just adding to the data / analysis.

Will say, a bit shocked that all these went blank with the "new estimator" Tesla has in place. Most orders that had just a month changed to a date range without going blank first.

In fact, I have an order (non-white interior) that was March and went to December 13 - January 2 without a blank in between.

yeah i have a feeling its not for the better but then again what do i know lol

I know! This makes me feel like "blank" is a very short transition so now I'm checking the $*#*%& page every hour.