Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just showed me an article in the Phoenix paper concerning registration. EV's have been getting a big discount over gas cars for several years. My registration for the Plaid is to be $288. The rate starting in 2022 is 20 times that ... instead of 1% it goes to 20% of the retail. That is $5000, as I get close to year end my decision to wait for the white may change. Vehicle license tax formula for alternative fuel cars changing in 2022 | ADOT
So you're complaining you're going to have to pay the same as everyone else does when they buy a car? :)

I wish it was the same as everyone else in the country ... in Ohio I paid $25 per year, not $5000. What do you pay in Georgia? Sales tax is 10% as well.
i didn't say in the country. it's the same sales tax rate as any other car sold in your state according to the article. sucks. looks like you pay a VLT (vehicle license tax), which:
"The VLT is paid during vehicle registration and is assessed in place of a personal property tax often charged in other states. The VLT funds transportation infrastructure in Arizona, including highways, bridges and local roads, and contributes to the general funds of cities/towns and counties."
Meaning this isn't a yearly thing, it's one time during registration.

Then, again, this is changing so VLT is calculated the same by 2023 to the same as a traditional car purchase, no longer incentivizing an EV purchase.
"Per ARS 28-5805, beginning in 2023, alternative fuel vehicles will be assessed VLT using the same formula used for traditional vehicles. This phased-in approach will make the VLT formula used for alternative fuel vehicles the same as the formula used for traditional cars and trucks, bringing fairness to VLT assessments for all vehicles."

@bmms8 that isn't what the 60% is if you look at the AZ calculations, it's:

or AFVs registered after Dec. 31, 2022:​

The vehicle license tax (VLT) for an AFV will be calculated using the same formula used for traditional cars and trucks. The VLT has a rate of $2.80 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:
  • For the first year, the assessed value is 60% of the factory list price (MSRP) of the AFV.

anyways, all it is is AZ is getting rid of the incentive for a EV, EV will now have to do the same VLT as any other car. so, yes, i'd try to take delivery before the end of 2022 :)

In ohio, wouldn't $25/year be your registration? not sales tax. in GA we pay ad valorem, 6.6% of fair market value of the vehicle. then for EVs it's $213.88/year (whilst ICE is $25/year) because of the lack of use tax that EVs don't pay in gas tax.

Last edited:
Whether it's ethical or not is purely subjective. For people paying a higher price and have to wait longer, they may feel it's unethical if they are not prioritized.
That’s silly. We entered into a good faith contract. We pay the company money for a car when it comes available. To now say “it’s only available to those who pay more” is unethical and practiced in bad faith. It was assumed by both parties that you’d get one on a first come first serve basis. Otherwise, why even have a reservation system at all? That’s sort of the whole point?? Isn’t it?
Also, I want to point out I’m not saying that the law or government needs to get involved. They’ll just make it worse. I’m trying to point out poor behavior when I see it. It’s one of the things makes capitalism work. Now this may not mean much to you now, but wait until you get your car and you have a problem with battery degradation. You call the company and they say it’s within spec and it’s just too bad. And each year it gets worse and before you know it, you have a $90k hunk of crap that gets 40% less range three years in. Meanwhile, Tesla finds the problem and fixed it, all the while denying there is a problem. Let’s see how much you defend them. Tesla needs to show love to its customer base or they will eventually lose them.

That’s silly. We entered into a good faith contract. We pay the company money for a car when it comes available. To now say “it’s only available to those who pay more” is unethical and practiced in bad faith. It was assumed by both parties that you’d get one on a first come first serve basis. Otherwise, why even have a reservation system at all? That’s sort of the whole point?? Isn’t it?
Also, I want to point out I’m not saying that the law or government needs to get involved. They’ll just make it worse. I’m trying to point out poor behavior when I see it. It’s one of the things makes capitalism work. Now this may not mean much to you now, but wait until you get your car and you have a problem with battery degradation. You call the company and they say it’s within spec and it’s just too bad. And each year it gets worse and before you know it, you have a $90k hunk of crap that gets 40% less range three years in. Meanwhile, Tesla finds the problem and fixed it, all the while denying there is a problem. Let’s see how much you defend them. Tesla needs to show love to its customer base or they will eventually lose them.
I don't think this is what's happening. You may point to a few suspicious cases of RN # leaping, but we haven't seen this widespread and could be explained by other factors e.g., supply chain disruptions, destinations priorities or just system glitches.

I don't think this is what's happening. You may point to a few suspicious cases of RN # leaping, but we haven't seen this widespread and could be explained by other factors e.g., supply chain disruptions, destinations priorities or just system glitches.
I’ve been watching these forums like a hawk since my January 28th order of red / white / cf / FSD. I’ve only seen one car with my configuration get an EDD and that was without the FSD option, so apparently Tesla chose to sell a cheaper version of my car before charging me $10k more. 🤷🏾‍♂️