Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is it that they have over 1k Model S/X produced that weren't delivered considering we have been waiting for 8 months for ours!
No clue…..

I wonder how many deliveries were for older orders vs post price hike, and how many Dec deliveries were for CA residents who could accept delivery immediately post production (no long distance transport needed).

I’m sure that if you mapped out the deliveries in Oct and compared it to Dec, there will be a pretty high concentration of CA deliveries including very recent orders.

I suppose it’s just a business, and just like all others, tries to maximize shareholder value. Shareholders don’t care about the small population of customers that get screwed, as long as the performance increases demand for the stock.

Sucks being on this end of it though.

Reactions: 2101Guy and RxVanco
Out of curiosity, how will you know when those changes will be in place so that you don’t have to keep having VINs reassigned?
You can't keep reassigning VINs so put my order on hold for end of March. I can extend or shorten it. You can't re-add your hold once you get rid of it though as your order will be flagged to be automatically cancelled according to what I am being told.

I am placing my bet on March based on historical timing of their changes requiring ~1 week shutdowns in the past (think 2020 3/Y interior change) as well as some chats with present/former Tesla folks. To be clear, I don't know for certain and I picked March to be on the more conservative end to be safe, but we will see.

The reality is we will not know until we see spy shots of a bunch of them in a lot at Fremont, on a truck, or just customer deliveries. According to a few current employees I asked, typically they don't talk about changes made to a vehicle until they've been making them that way for ~2 weeks.

I'm told that all delivery staff are kept in the dark about this as well, so your SA can't tell you anything beyond what you could find yourself on twitter.

How is it that they have over 1k Model S/X produced that weren't delivered considering we have been waiting for 8 months for ours!
This might be why we have a bunch of RNs having Jan-Feb EDDs; the cars were likely produced but waiting for "reasonable transportations" post holidays.

B-lon makes me think about putting a hold until end of March as well. decisions decisions...

Reactions: RxVanco
This might be why we have a bunch of RNs having Jan-Feb EDDs; the cars were likely produced but waiting for "reasonable transportations" post holidays.

B-lon makes me think about putting a hold until end of March as well. decisions decisions...
I decided to wait simply because I have already waited 12 months, and over double that when you consider I only got my Model 3 as a placeholder to replace my old S until they redesigned the car. Therefore, I can wait an extra quarter-ish to have this change, especially since the thing that makes cars look dated most quickly to me is lights. My intention is to keep this new S until they make significant changes to the exterior design, which I don't anticipate for a very, very long time.

So it really comes down to need for a car against want of latest light design that brings the car in line with the rest of their lineup's shape language.

One last thing - I do not anticipate these new parts to be easily retrofitted due to different data/power connectors. The headlight change that happened last year for 3/Y wasn't retrofittable to my knowledge and I am guessing that'll be the case here too but I'd love to be wrong about that.

(Cross post from the 2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracker thread)
I haven't checked my EDD in about a month and my dates changed from the end of Jan - early Feb to Jan 3 - Jan 17. I heard that a two week window usually means a VIN is imminent, but I've seen posts vary from people getting their dates bumped when they are in their EDD window to having VINs assigned in a few days.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
(Cross post from the 2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracker thread)
I haven't checked my EDD in about a month and my dates changed from the end of Jan - early Feb to Jan 3 - Jan 17. I heard that a two week window usually means a VIN is imminent, but I've seen posts vary from people getting their dates bumped when they are in their EDD window to having VINs assigned in a few days.
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I wish had the discipline to not check my EDD 20x per day. Congrats on the delivery being narrowed too

Took delivery of a nearly perfect Plaid last night. Zero issues with the white interior or trim (unless you consider the "worm" a problem). Either I got lucky or Freemont is tightening their QC. Only issue was some adhesive by the taillight that the detailer had to remove and a small piece broken inside the taillight - very minor and probably something I wouldnt even notice unless I read these forums LOL. They already ordered the part. Zero paint issues! Panel gaps are expectedly not Germanic like but acceptable. No cargo cover in trunk - it will be mailed to when they get some in stock.

First impression from my very brief drive home; WOW...ITS A FAWKING ALIEN SPACESHIP FROM THE FUTURE

Wow you got a bow and everything. Many of my past Tesla deliveries have been like this with the "red carpet" treatment. Car is detailed, not a single defect or fingerprint.

The Plaid was like "we can't be bothered just fill everything out online and take your car". The car is covered in dirt, tons of scratches and swirls, sitting in a random parking lot.

Glad you got a good copy, enjoy it in good health!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just to close out my story - I had ordered on battery day, so was converted automatically to a Plaid Plus then Plaid in June-ish. I was offered an MF VIN in November, but wasn’t able to accept (and wanted to wait for an NF anyway). In mid December I was offered a white with black interior that was available at Tysons, which I declined. On December 30th I was offered an NF Red with white interior also in Tyson’s, which I decided to accept. They were eager to get a 2021 delivery on the books, and honored my pricing including $8k for FSD and $10k off for ordering pre-price increase, so $12k below sticker (but $2500 more than my White order because of the red paint). I really like the red so being able to change without resetting my price was worth it to get the deal over with. At the time, my 1139 reservation for White/White/CF/19/FSD had an EDD of January 1-January 29.

Their trade offer for my 2019 MS Performance was low so despite the sales tax advantage from trading I kept my car and picked up the Plaid. Their financing was not unreasonable at 2.49% via US Bank and because they wanted to get the deal done I signed with them and I’m in the process of refinancing via DCU at 1.49% (1.24% since I do direct deposit there).

Overall, I still feel like they’re likely screwing us early Plaid (Plus) orders and will release the car we actually wanted but claimed was canceled. Or at least some refreshed tail lights or other things that didn’t quite make it. But I’m loving the car - I was really, really happy with my MSPerf and its free supercharging, but the new car is a nice step up in interior quality and performance. I got used to the yoke in a few minutes and actually prefer it over the wheel, but although the buttons are fine and I’ve got them down, they feel more like a gimmick. It’s too much of a reach to get to the scroll wheels and I think stalks were just fine for at least autopilot and gears. Maybe if they used the space on the back of the yoke for some functions (where your fingers rest) I’d be happier. Also hoping they bring back some now missing functionality like the energy graph, ability to customize what’s on the sides of the IC etc. But otherwise, she’s a beauty. Now if only I could get some usable tires and actually drive the damn thing (it’s really cruddy that they deliver cars with tires that are literally unusable and likely to be damaged per the manufacturer’s specs in cold climates).