Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y EOM Hitch DIY Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NainEr

Apr 10, 2021
LAX
Here are pictures of my hitch EOM install. In particular order but it hope it helps some of you here!
20211106_220135.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-151011_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20211106-151011_OfferUp.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 20211106_220143.jpg
    20211106_220143.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 20211106_220152.jpg
    20211106_220152.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20211106_220234.jpg
    20211106_220234.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 20211111_161616.jpg
    20211111_161616.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 20211111_162124.jpg
    20211111_162124.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 20211111_162327.jpg
    20211111_162327.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 20211111_162641.jpg
    20211111_162641.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20211111_163300.jpg
    20211111_163300.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: sidewinder
Sorry again; these pictures are not in order; but you get the idea! There is plenty of DIY videos for install these Hitch; but I wanted to share the EOM version with the simple PlugNPlay Harness that also came with it; Some guy here in LAX sold it to me back in Nov21 thru offer-up $400. Everything is fairly easy after install just plug it in and bang you are done! No need for programing at Tesla; I have used it a few times already and all I get is a red trailer icon on the screen, as well as the proximity warning red/orange lines; other than that it just works!!

As a second Option maybe for my next car;
I was about to do the after market version; and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if so;
There is a wiring harness that should work just as good, I found it here on some forum;
ingenext.ca/collections/accessories/products/tesla-model-y-trailer-harness-4-pin

Reactions: TomB985
nice...wanted to see what the oem hitch looked like under the bumper. i was thinking about going aftermarket but after seeing youtube videos i changed my mind and paid 1k. i've done valve cover gaskets and brake pads/rotors but taking apart a bumper on a brand new car is where i draw the line.

Sorry again; these pictures are not in order; but you get the idea! There is plenty of DIY videos for install these Hitch; but I wanted to share the EOM version with the simple PlugNPlay Harness that also came with it; Some guy here in LAX sold it to me back in Nov21 thru offer-up $400. Everything is fairly easy after install just plug it in and bang you are done! No need for programing at Tesla; I have used it a few times already and all I get is a red trailer icon on the screen, as well as the proximity warning red/orange lines; other than that it just works!!

I was about to do the after market version; and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if so;
There is a wiring harness that should work just as good, I found it here on some forum;
ingenext.ca/collections/accessories/products/tesla-model-y-trailer-harness-4-pin
You didnt have to install any software? I just installed my OEM hitch and Im not getting the red trailer icon at all i put in a tester and its not working. I have the lithium battery on a 22 model y

Does the tow mode option show up for you?

Did you figure out the issue? I want to buy a used OEM hitch and install it myself as well. Tesla is charging too much.
Tesla remotely installed the software, the electronics dont work i htink it has to do with the lh body control model theres a service bulletin saying which models work with a 21-22 model y. Mine is 22. I didnt install one yet been lazy opening up the area so i can see which model i currently have

Tesla remotely installed the software, the electronics dont work i htink it has to do with the lh body control model theres a service bulletin saying which models work with a 21-22 model y. Mine is 22. I didnt install one yet been lazy opening up the area so i can see which model i currently have
I just got back from the service center, the SC wants $2600 CAD to replace the LH body control. I laughed at them when they quoted me on the price, the complete tow package will cost less.

I know it’s an old post but is there anything missing in the software/screen when installing yourself vs getting tesla to install it? Wasn’t sure what you meant by “other than that…” (was there something missing?)

Thanks

Yes, the “trailer mode” is missing if you install it yourself.
So, what you are saying is that I don't lose autopilot while towing if I install the OEM trailer hitch myself like I would if I have a service center install it. I can manually adjust follow distance to 7 and pay attention while AP is driving like I already do.

Keith

PS: I am not recommending anything, just verifying the situation.